• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover question
2 2

41 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

Hi, I just bought a fantastic four 26 and someone signed their name across the cover, is that really bad?? Is it ok or worth submitting it?

It would get a qualified green label meaning that it is not witnessed, which turns people off sometimes. It won't affect the grade though

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It would get a qualified green label meaning that it is not witnessed, which turns people off sometimes. It won't affect the grade though

Wait.... who signed it?  The kid who owned it or one of the creators?  If you're just talking about the kid who owned it, that is a common thing you find with old comics.  They are graded down slightly, but if the comic is in otherwise great condition it will still grade well AND receive a blue label.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Wait.... who signed it?  The kid who owned it or one of the creators?  If you're just talking about the kid who owned it, that is a common thing you find with old comics.  They are graded down slightly, but if the comic is in otherwise great condition it will still grade well AND receive a blue label.

I’m pretty sure it was the kid who owned it, it says Mike Minet.  So it would be worth it to submit it? What’s a blue label?

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Did you look at the book before you bought it?

I bought it off eBay , there were pics but I guess I didn’t look hard enough and didn’t notice the signature on the front. I’ve been told by a couple people it’s not that bad though 

54 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

I’m pretty sure it was the kid who owned it, it says Mike Minet.  So it would be worth it to submit it? What’s a blue label?

Based on the condition, it is not worth submitting, unless you really, really like low grade books in slabs.

s-l1600.jpg

18 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

I bought it off eBay , there were pics but I guess I didn’t look hard enough and didn’t notice the signature on the front. I’ve been told by a couple people it’s not that bad though 

I stand corrected, if it is just a random sig of a previous owner then it will receive a "blue" label :) 

1 hour ago, Yodisd said:

This is a example of a blue label, where the label color is blue :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYMAN-3-1947-GGA-Columbia-Comics-CGC-5-0-O-W-i-pre-graded-it-7-5-wtf/322938881491?hash=item4b30a845d3:g:QFQAAOSwopRYkQwe

For the sake of the comparison, here is an example of the "green" label or it is called "Qualified"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S798-INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-CGC-Qualified-4-0-VG-1974-1st-FULL-App-of-WOLVERINE/132428247750?hash=item1ed556b2c6:g:ltsAAOSwl2haKxSd

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Based on the condition, it is not worth submitting, unless you really, really like low grade books in slabs.

s-l1600.jpg

That’s the book I bought. How did you find it? So you think it’s really bad?

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I stand corrected, if it is just a random sig of a previous owner then it will receive a "blue" label :) 

This is a example of a blue label, where the grade is the label color is blue :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYMAN-3-1947-GGA-Columbia-Comics-CGC-5-0-O-W-i-pre-graded-it-7-5-wtf/322938881491?hash=item4b30a845d3:g:QFQAAOSwopRYkQwe

For the sake of the comparison, here is an example of the "green" label or it is called "Qualified"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S798-INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-CGC-Qualified-4-0-VG-1974-1st-FULL-App-of-WOLVERINE/132428247750?hash=item1ed556b2c6:g:ltsAAOSwl2haKxSd

I see

Just now, Yodisd said:

That’s the book I bought. How did you find it? So you think it’s really bad?

I found it on eBay sold listings.  The photo is terrible for assessing grade, but it is probably a VG- or G/VG or less.  The selling price for that, even in a slab, is about $25.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I found it on eBay sold listings.  The photo is terrible for assessing grade, but it is probably a VG- or G/VG or less.  The selling price for that, even in a slab, is about $25.

I paid 29 for it, 34 with shipping. When I got it I messaged the seller about the signature on front and he said a lot of the old books have kids signatures on them but the book wasn’t ruined.  He said he thought the book was worth 35-40 as is but could double with Disney purchasing fox.  So I’m still wondering about submitting it, I think I probably will.

1 minute ago, Yodisd said:

I paid 29 for it, 34 with shipping. When I got it I messaged the seller about the signature on front and he said a lot of the old books have kids signatures on them but the book wasn’t ruined.  He said he thought the book was worth 35-40 as is but could double with Disney purchasing fox.  So I’m still wondering about submitting it, I think I probably will.

The signature would not affect the grade at all at this level.

The second photo in the eBay listing is an enlargement of the signature area.

I've missed things before on eBay listings, such as "centerfold missing".

12 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The signature would not affect the grade at all at this level.

The second photo in the eBay listing is an enlargement of the signature area.

I've missed things before on eBay listings, such as "centerfold missing".

I also bought an amazing Spider-Man 12 they said was in good 2.0 condition,  see if you can find that one and tell me what you think?

4 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

I also bought an amazing Spider-Man 12 they said was in good 2.0 condition,  see if you can find that one and tell me what you think?

Ummm... why not just post the book instead of asking us to go find it?

Also, there's a place to ask for opinions about grades: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

20 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Ummm... why not just post the book instead of asking us to go find it?

Also, there's a place to ask for opinions about grades: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

I’m not sure how to post pics on here plus the eBay listing has a description of the book. I’ll check that link about opinions about grades , thanks 

I personally would not slab either of your comics.  They are too low of a grade.  It wouldn't be cost effective once you paid to ship them and paid for the grading/slabbing and paid to have them shipped back.  Just enjoy them the way they are..... a couple of great lower grade comics.