• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlanta Comic Con - July 13-15, 2018

32 posts in this topic

The one-day Atlanta Comic Convention is nothing more than a one-day dealer showcase.  The owner has the same vendors and the same local artists every time, and rotates the same comic creators every couple of years.  The response to Imaginarium's con says it all.   People are excited about it and there's a social media buzz.   None of that ever happens for the 1-day.  The owner of that con has now had 25 years to grow his con, but he did not.  He's about to pay the price. 

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, Deke said:

The one-day Atlanta Comic Convention is nothing more than a one-day dealer showcase.  The owner has the same vendors and the same local artists every time, and rotates the same comic creators every couple of years.  The response to Imaginarium's con says it all.   People are excited about it and there's a social media buzz.   None of that ever happens for the 1-day.  The owner of that con has now had 25 years to grow his con, but he did not.  He's about to pay the price. 

I was with you until you got to the last sentence. Yes, Wes has the same vendors every time. No, there is never any social media buzz surrounding that show. But he's absolutely not paying the price for anything, Wes' fan base is going to his show every time regardless of what else pops up in Atlanta. That show is FULL of serious collector's who drop serious cash on real books. I've seen numerous six figure deals happen at that show. 

I think both of these shows will continue to be successful for years to come. 

On 5/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, Deke said:

+1 Totally agree (only time will tell about the paying the price part, though).

I really hope this show does very well and takes off. I will be going. Looking forward to it.

I’d love to do this show but logistics of it running immediately before sdcc prohibited me this year. Hope it can be a week earlier next year and I’m there 

On 6/30/2018 at 9:58 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’d love to do this show but logistics of it running immediately before sdcc prohibited me this year. Hope it can be a week earlier next year and I’m there 

If you're going, I'm definitely going next year.  I need to spend some money at G.A.tor's booth. :banana: 

11 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

If you're going, I'm definitely going next year.  I need to spend some money at G.A.tor's booth. :banana: 

Woo hoo 

AB7D0AFF-3C03-48E7-AC75-34A39BC7A7C5.jpeg

Can't wait to go tomorrow! Gonna bring the fam with me and it'll be the 2 kids first con!

A bit bummed about the $40 Sat. price tag since I have to pay for my wife too, who could care less about going, but I need her to handle the kids! lolol. Unfortunately it's $40 extra that could have gone towards some merch but I guess its cheaper than a babysitter! 

AH- get read to sign!! :)

Show Report: after Day 2

Space: Huge! GA World Congress Center is more than adequate for the number of dealers, attendees and cosplayers.

Dealers: A great selection of just about everything. It was nice to see a large number of $1 and $2 boxes. But there were walls full of premiums, too. Also, tons of original art, toys, and every other type of collectible.

Promotion: I seems like a decent effort was made to get the word out. That has been the downfall of many previous attempts at a large ATL con. I ran into A LOT of locals who knew that this was going down.

I scoffed at the price and almost didn't attend. In the end, I feel like $60 is worth it as long as I can make for the whole weekend. If I'd gotten the tix and only had access on Fri and Sun, then it would have been prohibitive. The one-day prices seemed to bring in a moderate number of attendees, but but I'm eager to hear from dealers to find out if the numbers justified setting up at this con.

This is neither here nor there, but this show owes a HUGE shout out to Mother Nature. I took MARTA each day and that would have been a pain in the azz if it were pouring down. The skies looked threatening and I think it may have gotten wet outside when I was happily digging through boxes. However, a day or two of solid rain would have kept many fans away.

All-in-all, it was a good show for someone (me+GF) who just comes to shop for comics and Funko pops. I just wish it wasn't scheduled the week after Atlanta Comic Convention (and a month after Heroes). The wallet can only stretch so far! Hey, organizers! ATL needs a good Winter con. That's when I'm flush with $$ but no one wants to go up against the Big Guy in the red suit.

Agree with the above.
Good fine show. I didn't spend a lot of money (but that's cause I'm hunting a bargain, not content with eBay prices). 

Chad Hardin -- $5 per sig
Whilce Portacio -- 5 sigs free 
Adam Hughes -- $40 head sketches

Pic of artist prices: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=463212770757314&set=gm.985668031603160&type=3 

Here's my blog link to a pair of sketches I got:

https://sketchcard.wordpress.com/2018/07/14/atlanta-comiccon-review/

Edited by cmixer