• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2017.... The Results are in
4 4

116 posts in this topic

Bill is working to get the Lowry setup for the Best of 2017. I will post when it is ready for you to post your entries. 

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2017. Do not add any images to Lowry until after I post the Best of 2017 is ready. If you do the Best of 2017 option will not be present and you would have to repose when it officially opens for entries.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin. 

Best of 2017 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)
You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Splashes, Pin-Ups
Published Interior Panel pages
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 6th
Posting Ends: Jan 14 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisions of 2017.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2017 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisions of 2017.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2017 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp
2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile
3) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences
4) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)
5) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New  
Artwork' link.
6) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2017"
7) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it  applies)
8) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Splashes, Pin-Ups
Published Interior Panel pages
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

9) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 15th (Monday)
Voting end January 21th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

Edited by Brian Peck

I know there was discussions about changes to the Best of last year. There were no final decisions made and Bill has been very busy this last year. After Best of is cover we can discuss what people have issues with and what they want changed and we can run it by Bill. Start looking thru your acquisitions this and and try and pick your top 5 pieces. I know it cab be tough.

The best may be the hulk 340 just posted in Caf.  Or is it batman new 52 #1...

How do you avoid making this a popularity contest? Are the categories seperated by value? For example published under 1k. 2-10k, over 10k.. etc?

Edited by Panelfan1

30 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

How do you avoid making this a popularity contest?

It is a beauty contest without the hard social justice questions - we skip directly to the swimsuit competition. That is everyone votes for what they like. Votes are hard to get so even getting one makes me happy.

Are the categories seperated by value? For example published under 1k. 2-10k, over 10k.. etc?

Nope. Dollar value is not a consideration. 

40 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

It is a beauty contest without the hard social justice questions - we skip directly to the swimsuit competition. That is everyone votes for what they like. Votes are hard to get so even getting one makes me happy.

Nope. Dollar value is not a consideration. 

It should be.. because the expensive stuff is usually more popular. Otherwise it would be cheaper.

10 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

How do you avoid making this a popularity contest? Are the categories seperated by value? For example published under 1k. 2-10k, over 10k.. etc?

We do not bring value into it. There is a wide variety in many of the categories, con sketches were created so the more expensive commissions didn't over shadow the con pieces. The Best of isnt a popularity contest its a way to have people share what they have gotten over the past year. So many CAF members and so many pieces posted over a year its easy to miss many of them. I post what I liked the most don't care if it will get the most votes. There is such a variety of collectors and tastes most of the pieces get votes. Each year people want them broken down by values but I have entered a number of pieces over the years that got alot of votes but were not that expensive.

Best of is a time to share your art and see what others have gotten as well.

18 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

The mega-BSDs (like the Hulk 340 owner) have not typically participated in the annual "Best of" festivities, perhaps not wanting to take so many votes away from others.  The whole thing is meant to be a retrospective and not a competition, but, feelings have been hurt in the past and such, so, the sentiment is understandable.  Also, perhaps there's also no upside to it either - if you enter a piece like the Hulk 340 and it gets the most votes, that's expected; if it doesn't, then it might be viewed as slightly disappointing.  

57 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The mega-BSDs (like the Hulk 340 owner) have not typically participated in the annual "Best of" festivities, perhaps not wanting to take so many votes away from others.  The whole thing is meant to be a retrospective and not a competition, but, feelings have been hurt in the past and such, so, the sentiment is understandable.  Also, perhaps there's also no upside to it either - if you enter a piece like the Hulk 340 and it gets the most votes, that's expected; if it doesn't, then it might be viewed as slightly disappointing.  

So i assume you will not be entering this year Gene ?

5 minutes ago, John S. said:

So i assume you will not be entering this year Gene ?

I'll be posting a piece or two...I'm just a salmon trying to swim upstream* like everyone else. :sorry: 

* metaphor originally attributed to mystery OA collector with the initials "J.S."

1 minute ago, williamhlawson said:

Any thought or merit to doing this on a newly published basis...As in, best of 2017...created/published in 2017?

I wouldn't mind if we split it up by comic age.

Something like, 2 groups:

Gold / Silver / Bronze

and

Copper / Modern

Or something like that, but I feel like that's almost doubling the categories and people will get carpel tunnel just clicking through all the sections.

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Wasn't this one posted several years back?  IIRC it did well, but did not actually clean up. Would have to revisit the Yahoo board archives to find out.