• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger BA Key: GL 76 or HOS 92?
2 2

Bigger Bronze Age key: Green Lantern 76 or House of Secrets 92?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger BA key?

• Green Lantern 76
    • House of Secrets 92
    • Not sure

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The current marketplace is very much driven by what the label says. I've seen books fall off the cliff, from a financial standpoint, when a correction in the label removes the 1st appearance nod.  I'm not arguing that it's fair or logical. I am not demeaning GL76. I'm just saying, it is what it is. In any case HOS 92 has my vote and from all indications of the poll, most agree by a 2 -1 factor.

Never took your reading as demeaning to GL 76. I don't believe that a true collector (like you Bob) fails to go beyond the label when it comes to researching the book in question - GCD, OSPG, Gerber, some helpful threads on the boards, interaction with boardies who can provide insight, etc. That said, my concern about relying exclusively on the label applies to those that don't share the passion and interest real collectors have.

I think GL 76 is probably a more significant key, given what that run was trying to do, but my preference would be HOS 92.  If offered up a choice between the two, I'd take HOS 92 every time despite me being a huge Neal Adams fan.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

From an importance standpoint, it is a toss up IMHO. Swamp Thing is a third tier character, while GL 76's importance has waned over time. Adams artwork is better than Wrightson, though. 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

From an importance standpoint, it is a toss up IMHO. Swamp Thing is a third tier character, while GL 76's importance has waned over time. Adams artwork is better than Wrightson, though. 

Having bought both this summer I can say that  HOS 92 is a way more popular book than GL 76.

A nice VF 7.5 CGC GL7 6 was ~$650.
A very nice VF+ 8.5 CGC HOS 92was closer to $2000. And I was happy to pay it.
I had a slightly crunchy water-damaged copy (of HOS 92) back in the 80s. Dunno what happened to it. 
Likely due to the death of Bernie Wrightson this year and a resurgence in horror, this book has really taken off.

Now importance wise. GL76 should definitely take that win. But the comic world is finicky.
Tomb of Dracula 1 compared to Tomb of Dracula 10. You'd think Draculas first comic would be more relevant than a dude in a trench coat.
ASM 121/122 vs ASM 129. You can get both 121 & 122 for less than 129 by itself. Death of Gwen Stacy and Death of Green Goblin super important to comics history.

BUT. First appearances is where it's at.

my .02

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Adams better than Wrightson?

Blasphemy....

5 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

ASM 121/122 vs ASM 129. You can get both 121 & 122 for less than 129 by itself. Death of Gwen Stacy and Death of Green Goblin super important to comics history.

my .02

ASM 121/122 is the deaths of a couple of supporting characters - not that I'm putting the books down as I remember being shocked when I read them as a kid.  ASM 129 is the introduction of a character who is unique, who resonated with fans and who has appeared in  multiple long running comic titles and has had film and TV treatment.

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

ASM 121/122 is the deaths of a couple of supporting characters - not that I'm putting the books down as I remember being shocked when I read them as a kid.  ASM 129 is the introduction of a character who is unique, who resonated with fans and who has appeared in  multiple long running comic titles and has had film and TV treatment.

Same can be said of Swamp Thing...

I can't believe this even in discussion.

HOS 92 is a book with a cool cover that introduces a third-tier character. It's also experiencing some pre-movie speculation hype (w/ Justice League Dark).

GL 76 changed the nature of stories told in comic books, let alone superhero books -- hence heralding the new (Bronze) age. Far more significant.

But who cares about story in this new CGC cover-oriented world and obsession with first appearances over all else?

Next people will be arguing that Moon Knight's as significant as Ghost Rider...

12 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

Having bought both this summer I can say that  HOS 92 is a way more popular book than GL 76.

A nice VF 7.5 CGC GL7 6 was ~$650.
A very nice VF+ 8.5 CGC HOS 92was closer to $2000. And I was happy to pay it.
I had a slightly crunchy water-damaged copy (of HOS 92) back in the 80s. Dunno what happened to it. 
Likely due to the death of Bernie Wrightson this year and a resurgence in horror, this book has really taken off.

Now importance wise. GL76 should definitely take that win. But the comic world is finicky.
Tomb of Dracula 1 compared to Tomb of Dracula 10. You'd think Draculas first comic would be more relevant than a dude in a trench coat.

my .02

Agreed. I was not debating value of the books, just the importance. Swamp Thing is kind of a meh character. Nobody really cares about him. However, HOS #92 being tough in high grade, the classic Wrightson comic cover,  and a 1st appearance of a two-bit character drives the value. GL #76 did arguably usher in the DC Bronze Age, and it has classic Neal Adams artwork, but its value has waned over time as its quality of storytelling and artwork became the industry norm. It is the more important book from an influence on comics perspective at that time. That does not mean it is more valuable, as this is sort of like FF starting the Marvel Silver Age but AF #15 and IH #1 being more valuable books due to the 1st apps they represent.

Edited by kimik

Views and opinions obviously change over the years but to call ST a "meh" character is inaccurate. He was popular right from his HoS 92 appearance (fans  wrote in praising the story) and went on to have multiple series, guest appearances, movies, tv show, cartoons and a toy line. Hardly a two bit character! While GL 76 had a change in direction and attitude, it did not solely create our Bronze Age by itself. A lot of factors added together along with GL 76 molded the change. Important book? YES, definitely. Bigger key as of today? Sorry, I think HoS 92 has the edge. Swampy still has potential in new stories and possibly film to grow and gain more attention. GL 76 can't influence the BA any more than it did originally. My 2c

Edited by Jayman

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Seems like the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing, and the downstream effects it had on comic storytelling, are being undersold in this discussion. That run was hugely influential.

Yes. Swamp Thing 20 and 21 are hugely underappreciated by the market.