• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover tanning?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

All  depends on the level of tanning. Could be a half grade hit to multiple grade hits. I saw books that were graded this year that were, from a structural standpoint, 8.5 and better. They were so tanned that most got in the 4.0 to 5.5 range. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Would love to see pics of examples!  I've never been clear on whether cover tanning is accounted for in the grade or in the page quality.

In the grade, not the page quality, as it should be .

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In the grade, not the page quality, as it should be .

Tell us more please Bob. Logic says page quality, surely?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Tell us more please Bob. Logic says page quality, surely?

IMO, here's the logic. The reference to 'Page' in Page quality, as recognized by CGC, is only the interior pages. With some exception, the page quality does not affect the grade. The exception being if the interior pages are tanning. Conversely, nothing on the cover affects the Page quality. In a slab, you cannot see the pages. It would be deceiving to assign tan to the Page Quality in a book that had OW/W pages. To me, it makes sense but I may have a twisted sense of logic ?

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, here's the logic. The reference to 'Page' in Page quality, as recognized by CGC, is only the interior pages. With some exception, the page quality does not affect the grade. The exception being if the interior pages are tanning. Conversely, nothing on the cover affects the Page quality. In a slab, you cannot see the pages. It would be deceiving to assign tan to the Page Quality in a book that had OW/W pages. To me, it makes sense but I may have a twisted sense of logic ?

No, I see what you mean. One aspect I don't like with graded books is where two identical looking books have the same grade yet one has inferior page quality. If, as you say, page quality does not affect grade, then a white page 8.0 gets the same 'kudos' as a cream paged 8.0. Yet the cream pages indicate the beginning of deterioration. So how can they be equally graded? Page quality is structural too. Isn't it?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

No, I see what you mean. One aspect I don't like with graded books is where two identical looking books have the same grade yet one has inferior page quality. If, as you say, page quality does not affect grade, then a white page 8.0 gets the same 'kudos' as a cream paged 8.0. Yet the cream pages indicate the beginning of deterioration. So how can they be equally graded? Page quality is structural too. Isn't it?

I totally agree with you. I've always been told that the grade is only based on structure, so things like centering, page quality, don't matter in the grade. IMO, what CGC should do, is assign an 'eye appeal' indicator on the label. It's an 8.0 but it looks lbetter than an 8.0 . Suppossedly, that's what the CVA sticker is trying to do. Also, a certain competitor uses a check mark . 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I totally agree with you. I've always been told that the grade is only based on structure, so things like centering, page quality, don't matter in the grade. IMO, what CGC should do, is assign an 'eye appeal' indicator on the label. It's an 8.0 but it looks lbetter than an 8.0 . Suppossedly, that's what the CVA sticker is trying to do. Also, a certain competitor uses a check mark . 

I suppose CGC deserve great respect for where they've taken the hobby. But I have to say, I personally find the whole slabbing thing to have too many questionable practices / downsides and prefer to buy books on the basis of my own grading instincts and the oft ignored eye appeal. 

So cover tanning gets hammered, because tanning indicates structural degradation. But interior page quality - e.g. cream / tan - has no bearing on the final grade. Is that what we're saying?

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I suppose CGC deserve great respect for where they've taken the hobby. But I have to say, I personally find the whole slabbing thing to have too many questionable practices / downsides and prefer to buy books on the basis of my own grading instincts and the oft ignored eye appeal. 

Again, I totally agree with you, but only from a buying perspective. When you are selling, it is so much easier to get FMV with a CGC graded slab. 

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

So cover tanning gets hammered, because tanning indicates structural degradation. But interior page quality - e.g. cream / tan - has no bearing on the final grade. Is that what we're saying?

No, I mentioned this above.... ' With some exception, the page quality does not affect the grade. The exception being if the interior pages are tanning. '.