• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Becoming a better grader?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I would like to become a better or more complete grader. Everything I know now is self taught through The Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics and looking @ thousands of comic books on ebay. Is there anything out there that is more in depth? Does CGC offer any classes? I would like to see comic books the way a pro grader see's and judges comic books! 

One way is to crack out CGC graded comics and examine how the comics were graded. Overstreet is still a very good guide but at the end of the day grading is subjective. I find it helpful to try to establish lines of demarcation using the Overstreet guide. For example, color breaking cover creases do not appear until grade 7.5. 

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

There is no better way than learning from experience, no magic pill, no book, no nothing . 

That's right.  And getting involved in the yearly grading contest here is pretty enlightening as well 

Edited by Senormac

Enter the grading contests here, March Madness Grading contest run by blowupthemoon and another contest run by thirdgreenham.  Both are free, both are a lot of fun, and both will allow you to practice grading and get better.

Spend time in the grading forum.  Grade everything you can and see how you stack up against other boardies.

Both of the above options will help you but you're still just grading from a scan or a picture.  Best way to get better is by submitting books to CGC.  

Get an account on Heritage Auctions, its free... you can at least learn something about how CGC grades from looking at the endless number of high quality scans of CGC graded books they have that sold at auction.  Obviously its is no substitute for real experience and holding books in your hand and grading them...but if you do a lot of your buying online/on ebay where you only get to see front and back scans, you can get a much better idea of how CGC grades from HA.  They have the highest quality scans out there and the most extensive and easily searchable database.

Edited by szavisca

On 12/17/2017 at 8:51 AM, crazyhips said:

Overstreet is still a very good guide but at the end of the day grading is subjective.

Amen.  One of my LCS's grading is way different than mine.  Their NM- are more like my VF  Their FN+ are more like my VG/FN.  Maybe I am overly harsh, but I just don't agree with their grading scale. 

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Amen.  One of my LCS's grading is way different than mine.  Their NM- are more like my VF  Their FN+ are more like my VG/FN.  Maybe I am overly harsh, but I just don't agree with their grading scale. 

There is a lot of loose grading out there. I don't always agree with CGC, but they are usually in the same ballpark as not just my own grades, but sellers I respect. There are a handful of people out there who I think undergrade, as compared to CGC and other reputable graders, but there are far more overgraders, including many comic shops, as well as on ebay. So I'm guessing you aren't too harsh at all.

Comic grading is no different than most things. If you want to succeed, you need to practice. Then practice some more, and finally practice even more.

I find it helps to grade as if you are buying the book, not selling it.

Thank you DeadOne! I have been checking out eta nick and he has been very informative! I may have to watch every video a couple of times but I think it will give me a better idea of how or what to look for and how much

down grade or whatever to give to flaws on each book! Hopefully it will make me a better grader! Thank you again!