• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2017!
4 4

99 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Thanks! (thumbsu

What I have online is not the tip of the iceberg by any means, but, I do have another 300-odd pieces that aren't posted, including more than 40 additional covers. hm   

Too bad your taste in ‘futbol’ teams doesn’t match your wonderful taste in art :baiting: 

great pieces (thumbsu

1) Tales of the TMNT vol. 2 TPB 7 cover by Jim Lawson - Cover encapsulates a lot of what Tales of the TMNT is all about by one of the most iconic TMNT artists out there.  Plus, I got it for a song on ebay

2) TMNT/Usagi Crossover CGC 9.8 SS w/ sketch by Stan Sakai - This is the exclusive variant that Stan only brought with him to shows.  It's a beautiful painted cover that really showcases his art.

3) IDW TMNT #79 Cover by Dave Wachter - I don't typically go after IDW art, but this one called out to me.  A great example of the IDW Turtles and an awesome Triceraton in the background. 

Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 TPB 7 Cover.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Usagi Yojimbo #nn Sakai Exclusive.jpg

IDW TMNT #79 RI Variant Cover - Dave Wachter.jpg

I can't compete with some of the awesome things in this thread but I'll share. This year I focused on ASM upgrades of low grade copies, and TMNT original art. Next year my goal is to finally acquire an ASM 1 to complete my run, and continue with upgrades.

1. My favorite ASM upgrade of the year has to be this 14 which I got for a pretty good BIN on Ebay.  BIN deals do still exist! 

2. This pin-up page from an early Tales of the TMNT volume 1 comic book from 1986 is a classic Steve Lavigne homage to Frank Miller and Batman. 

3. The linework is a xerox copy, but the marker color is original 1985 Kevin Eastman. I love this type of early TMNT art.

Amazing Spider-man 014_01.jpg

Tales of the TMNT #02 Pin-Up 01 sm.jpg

Leonardo Original Marker Xerox 1985 Kevin Eastman sm.jpg

What really surprises me is how many people in this thread buy comic art. I always think of us as this small little group of like 100 or so folks but it seems like many of the long time collectors pick up a page or two a year.

2017 definitely wasn't my best year for comics, purchased many 80s and 90s Amazing Spider-Man books, nothing too major. BUT....... I really focused on original art and signatures, 2017 was my first full year of collecting OA, and I plan on picking many more commissions up next year.  

The first image is a picture of my first jam piece, a recreation of the classic Amazing Spider-Man 100 cover. As you can see, I am yet to add Spider-Man (Hoping to have Ron Frenz do the honors in 2018) but did manage to add some pretty big names in just 4 months! Some include Adam Hughes, Humberto Ramos, Joe Sinnott, Adi Granov, Mike Zeck, Clayton Crain, and a few others. Each head/ character will be drawn by a different artist, so a lot of thought went into pairing the artists with characters, layouts were done on a separate page. My goal is to add some legends next year, McFarlane and Romita would be nice haha

5a4814fb48dda_image(10).jpeg.e5e351f2025529d2c653539ab7c36ee6.jpeg

The next image is a 11x17 full body Venom commission, drawn by Mark Bagley. Without a doubt my favorite Venom piece in my collection.

5a481526c66ab_image(9).jpeg.61b908c7983ae29c8020f02a2421fd38.jpeg

Another one of my best accusations of the year is the original cover art to Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider issue 2, drawn by Mark Bagley. Before Niagara Falls comic con, I had picked up the issue and right away loved the cover, just like all of other Bagley's works. Anyways, I met Bagley a week later and has luck may have it, he was selling the OA to the cover! Could not pass it up, and pulled the trigger on it for a great deal.

5a4815386cefe_image(8).thumb.jpeg.06bf590d5a432c1775e3c7d1b7599de9.jpeg  

And lastly is my runner up, a Spider-Man sketch drawn by Adam Kubert. It may not be the most detailed piece of OA, but it surely is one of my favorites and means a lot to me. I have been collecting the Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man series since issue 1 up until 298 and have been loving it! Kubert's artwork is amazing, and I had to send a letter to him, saying how much I'm enjoying his work on the series. Sure enough, a couple weeks later I was surprised by a package from Kubert, and was excited when I found out Adam had done a Spider-Man sketch for me! Can't thank him enough for it, really hope he stays on PPSM for a long time. 

spidermany.jpg.b3d57e648f0837d48e31ae8d592c1dd2.jpg 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, Mackenzie999 said:

I bet that Planet is gorgeous in person!

.... it's a book bought from a boardie who was in a rough patch..... so he has the right to reclaim her if he choses ..... but that almost makes it even more alluring..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

A little late to this! Don't venture into General much these days, but just remembered that my favorite thread here happens once a year. Congrats to all for their pickups.

My top three for 2017:

MASTER OF KUNG-FU #117 cover (Gene Day):

image.png.d1d4dac3bb96fc01849814ddcc59335c.png

SECRET AGENT CORRIGAN 2/14/1975 (Al Williamson):

image.png.957c3ce1d94d5f216fb8058da19256d6.png

ALIEN commission (Dave McKean):

image.png.c7cfd459b56db16cb193ccb8eb67f558.png

On 27/12/2017 at 8:23 PM, delekkerste said:

Picked up 23 pieces of original art this year.  Of the pieces that I've posted publicly on ComicArtFans.com (my gallery is here), these are my top 3 favorites:

Gil Kane - Amazing Spider-Man #98 Cover (my second favorite issue of Spidey ever after #121 and one of my all-time favorite covers)

Bernie Wrightson - Frankenstein Plate (published in the Marvel Illustrated Novel "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" from 1983 - just sickeningly awesome by Bernie)

Richard Giordano - Marvel Feature v. 2 (feat. Red Sonja) #1, page 1 splash (this is one of the first few comics I ever read - finder's fee paid for information that leads to the acquisition of the original cover artwork)

5a4400a9e36a0_GilKaneAmazingSpider-Man98Cover2.thumb.jpg.bc58f97caf6a2840d4f6f873c755576b.jpg

5a44010193233_BernieWrightsonFrankensteinPlateCAF.thumb.jpg.aca7c908659c80a0604db6284fafc95f.jpg

5a440115cce0a_DickGiordanoMarvelFeaturev2RedSonjap1splash.thumb.jpg.7484bf7369f1728e777f8cdc23849fe4.jpg

Amazing acquisitions Gene. (worship)