• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Here's a link to my friend Lewis' website....... lots off really cool anecdotes and memories about collecting from the 60's on........

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/sandvox3/

..... everything from San Diego to a Marvel Back issue List from the mid 60's to the audio tapes of the CBM Interview with Robert Bell with segments that were edited out of the article due to size constraints. Easily several hours of reading. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks for the link. I read it all at once. I love those stories.

On 2017-12-24 at 11:55 AM, N e r V said:

Since wee wee brought up Detective comics...

Every time you think you’ve seen it all when it comes to original comic book art something turns up to prove that you haven’t. Exhibit A for that rule today is the Heritage Auctions announcement that 4 pages of 1939 production proofs from Detective Comics #27 just surfaced, having been in the possession of a man living in an apartment building where Bob Kane once lived, who rescued it from the curbside trash some 45 years ago.

Silver Age production art is not uncommon, but like the actual original art itself, Golden Age production art is extremely rare. Usually tossed in the trash, as these pages were. No actual original artwork from Detective Comics #27 is known to exist, although a single page of original art from Batman #1 is known to have survived to the present day.

FF10224A-2F2F-4DB4-B842-65BF8A52B18B.jpeg.c999ff59a2c493f975df112186f22273.jpeg7FB60502-A85F-491A-AACE-6DDF2FB857D7.jpeg.fd10570927335c5790fc7ca7722e696a.jpeg0ECFF384-1DFE-46BA-B3BC-FBA467794315.jpeg.a2d47871b6ec99ed92e9a580902b5228.jpeg967B3075-93F9-442A-A2AC-9FB0129AE1EC.jpeg.e82f6e9861d8304d668b3564f8cb1d27.jpeg76364177-4FD8-42C5-8E78-B9792FCD7707.jpeg.daa4a638f421b56cb63d60de4f1677d0.jpeg

WOW - the published panel (from Archives?) is to the point of almost being completely re-drawn compared to the production art...

Found a couple forgotten things recently.  The first is a copy of the Dec. 1973 Houston Comic Collectors Association Newsletter, given to me by my late-friend Willie Patterson.  Bedrock knew Willie, and should know what this club was.  The 2nd item is a postcard from someone named Barry Bauman who lived in Oakland in 1967.  Does anyone know who he was/is?  He was offering me 3 Superman comics.  I do not remember contacting him, or how I might have met him.  I do know that I did not buy the issues due to a lack of funds at the time (I was only 14).  I know this because when I did buy those issues 25 years later they cost a lot more than $10, $7, and $7...

39110664270_ca14da21af_c.jpg

40920302251_d94f86303a_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 1/23/2018 at 5:40 AM, jimjum12 said:

@the_Leader_knows

I'm really lucky to have Lewis as a friend. I lost my license indefinitely for multiple DUI's and anytime I wanted to go to a show, Lewis would pick me up, even though I lived an hour away. After 15 years, I finally managed to get them back, but we still do it that way.... it became tradition. I've read all the articles on his website many times..... it always takes me back..... much like this thread has done. Those convention shots from the early 70's :cloud9: .....I see those long haired kids and one of them was me.... it was different then, 20 bucks would buy you almost anything you could think of.... and usually a stack of it. It was just for fun, no concern about investment ....just blowing money on something you loved. It was funny, all our friends and family thought we were daft, but WE knew that a high grade Fantastic Four # 5 for $ 22 was a screaming bargain..... better than the Hope Diamond, I mean, you can't read the Hope Diamond. Lewis spoke of going to the Atlanta Convention in 1976 with several hundred bucks ..... there was a mid grade Action 1 there for $ 500 ...... you could buy someone's entire table for $ 500..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Where did I leave that damnable time machine? :whee: 

4 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Found a couple forgotten things recently.  The first is a copy of the Dec. 1973 Houston Comic Collectors Association Newsletter, given to me by my late-friend Willie Patterson.  Bedrock knew Willie, and should know what this club was.  The 2nd item is a postcard from someone named Barry Bauman who lived in Oakland in 1967.  Does anyone know who he was/is?  He was offering me 3 Superman comics.  I do not remember contacting him, or how I might have met him.  I do know that I did not buy the issues due to a lack of funds at the time (I was only 14).  I know this because when I did buy those issues 25 years later they cost a lot more than $10, $7, and $7...

His name turns up in various fandom articles. The Warren Companion and Alter Ego #111 come to mind in the Nedor Comic Index piece. If you’re a serious Nedor collector you probably know his name. A friend of mine has a complete or near complete Nedor collection I believe might have some books from Barry Bauman’s collection. He certainly is aware of him.

Here’s a link to the digital Alter Ego article which has a little piece on him.

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/alterego111preview/4

FYI, really cool piece of history having that offer list from him.

5 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I bought some books from Bauman.  I can't remember whether I ever met him.  He got very upset after the King and Kennedy assassinations in 1968 and said he was going to leave the country.  Converted his usual RBCC ad into a polemic, iirc.  Don't know if he ever followed through and actually left.

And if I've mixed him up with another Bay Area collector, then forget the whole thing! :)

5 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Dang Brian you ARE old...:preach:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Dang Brian you ARE old...:preach:

Older than you pal, older than you.  And we all know you're older than dirt...:baiting:

Not to mention, tougher than a minute steak!

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

His name turns up in various fandom articles. The Warren Companion and Alter Ego #111 come to mind in the Nedor Comic Index piece. If you’re a serious Nedor collector you probably know his name. A friend of mine has a complete or near complete Nedor collection I believe might have some books from Barry Bauman’s collection. He certainly is aware of him.

Here’s a link to the digital Alter Ego article which has a little piece on him.

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/alterego111preview/4

FYI, really cool piece of history having that offer list from him.

So, according to the original article by Mike (Michelle) Nolan, Barry has passed away.  Oh well...sorry I never met him or even heard of Nedor's until 1993...:sorry:

5 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

So, according to the original article by Mike (Michelle) Nolan, Barry has passed away.  Oh well...sorry I never met him or even heard of Nedor's until 1993...:sorry:

A good portion of 60’s and 70’s fandom are gone now. 

36 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

A good portion of 60’s and 70’s fandom are gone now. 

Well, not me or Sqeggs or the Robotman...at least, not yet... lol

We've got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel! :cry:

On 12/18/2017 at 5:07 PM, MrBedrock said:

This was a batch of consignment books from eight or so years ago. Man, I wish I had this batch back!

gagroup.JPG

"Man, I wish I had this batch back!"

Every time I hear that lament, it reinforces my new motto, "Don't sell".