• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Richard you could have got a copy of Action 1 cheap if you worked for him in 1979 :headbang: Can you find Action 1in this pic :popcorn:

Comic convention 1979 Action 1.jpg

This is a 1979 pic also Superman 2

Comic convention 1979 Superman-2.jpg

Those pictures were taken at HoustonCon. The guy in the top picture with his arms outstretched is Willie Patterson. The guy behind him is Harold Starbuck. Willie was managing Camelot and Harold was the mail order guy at that time. I was standing off to the right when that picture was taken. It is vivid in my memory. Burrel eventually handed the entire store over to Willie in 1981 or so. That Action 1 was Willie's copy, a structurally solid beautiful book with some dark soiling on the front cover. It sold in 1985 or 1986 to Mark Wilson. I am pretty convinced that it is now the PGX 9.0 restored (cover cleaned) copy, though I don't have any way to accurately confirm it. Willie passed about five years ago. I still see Harold regularly. He still collects and is very active on eBay selling old memorabilia.

The two guys in the bottom picture are Roy Bonario (seated), who opened the first comic store in Houston - Roy's Memory Shop, and Drew Caldwell (standing with Superman 2), a local collector. Roy is in his mid 80s now and sells stuff at a local flea market and on eBay. He is the center of the monthly "old guys" get-togethers and still travels to OKC for OAF-Con. Drew comes in to the shop from time to time. He now buys old 35mm movies and shows them at area theaters but doesn't collect comics much anymore.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Those pictures were taken at HoustonCon. The guy in the top picture with his arms outstretched is Willie Patterson. The guy behind him is Harold Starbuck. Willie was managing Camelot and Harold was the mail order guy at that time. I was standing off to the right when that picture was taken. It is vivid in my memory. Burrel eventually handed the entire store over to Willie in 1981 or so. That Action 1 was Willie's copy, a structurally solid beautiful book with some dark soiling on the front cover. It sold in 1985 or 1986 to Mark Wilson. I am pretty convinced that it is now the PGX 9.0 restored (cover cleaned) copy, though I don't have any way to accurately confirm it. Willie passed about five years ago. I still see Harold regularly. He still collects and is very active on eBay selling old memorabilia.

The two guys in the bottom picture are Roy Bonario (seated), who opened the first comic store in Houston - Roy's Memory Shop, and Drew Caldwell (standing with Superman 2), a local collector. Roy is in his mid 80s now and sells stuff at a local flea market and on eBay. He is the center of the monthly "old guys" get-togethers and still travels to OKC for OAF-Con. Drew comes in to the shop from time to time. He now buys old 35mm movies and shows them at area theaters but doesn't collect comics much anymore.

Great info to go with the pic's (thumbsu I would go to Marks house in the 80's just as he was starting to restore. I think this was the book that's Pgx 9.0 now I think hm 

Action-1......jpg

Was that one restored before Mark worked on it? The one in the photo above was completely unrestored but I am 95% certain Mark would have cleaned the cover after he purchased it. That was the book that got away from me. I just hesitated for too long.

21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This was taken at the last MegaCon I set up at, probably ten years ago. Certainly one of the weirdest photos from a convention. I think that is Gator's Action 1...

megaodd.jpg

Now i'm having pho for dinner! :cloud9:(it doesn't take much,we've four noodle houses on the block)

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Now i'm having pho for dinner! :cloud9:(it doesn't take much,we've four noodle houses on the block)

Are any of them call Pho King? I love that Pho King name.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

Are any of them call Pho King? I love that Pho King name.

Right out my front window there is a Pho Bo Ga King...they ruined it!Great broth though,and have known the family twenty years.

Pho King good broth you might say...

I always wanted to open a furniture store called Sofa King next a noodle house called Pho King next to Awesome Comics.

It would be Pho King, Sofa King, Awesome Comics.

22 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

This was taken at the last MegaCon I set up at, probably ten years ago. Certainly one of the weirdest photos from a convention. I think that is Gator's Action 1...

megaodd.jpg

How was the ramen?

Just now, greggy said:
22 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

megaodd.jpg

How was the ramen?

It was one of those plastic, fake ramen bowls for display. Someone was selling them there...and doing gangbuster business.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I'm guessing late 1960's. Yellow Kid will know if he sees this.

This picture was taken on Feb 8 1966.

Those books were in a crate of books that auctioned for $4.16.

l-brown.jpeg

Edited by jpepx78

Here is a picture of Straw Man (in the white t-shirt) contemplating his next trade proposal and how he can get one over on me....

wizardconpic3.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

On 12/19/2017 at 6:40 PM, The-Collector said:
On 12/19/2017 at 12:00 PM, MrBedrock said:

bigoltarzan.jpg

Woah!! That is Frazetta? Is it an original? Huge size! Feel like elaborating on the story behind this one?

Sorry. I just saw your question...

That is a Jeff Jones painting that was originally done as a commission right after he did the Tarzan Calendar in '99. It was later published in Spectrum under the title Nazrat. It was sold through Heritage in the early '00's to a friend of mine who offered it to me in 2006. With the frame it is about 6' X 7'.