• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matthew Vaughn wants to help relaunch DC movies

9 posts in this topic

X-Men: First Class Director Talking to DC Films About "a Few Things"

3343.jpg

X-Men: First Class, Kingsman and Kick- director Matthew Vaughn has been talking to DC Films about "a few things" - we assume those "things" are movies. Speaking to the IGN UK Podcast, Vaughn said: "I do love the world of DC, and I've been talking to them at the moment about a few things."

Later in the interview, he perhaps reveals why he'd be more interested in working with DC than Marvel right now:

"It's more fun getting involved with franchises when they're on the down, because then it's easier to make a good film. So if I got involved with a few of the superhero films out there that have been disappointing, it's going to be... if I do OK, it'll probably be better.

"So when I did X-Men there was, you know, a pretty low bar - X-Men 3, no offence, was not a fantastic piece of work. It's much more fun saving and reinventing something - I'd be more intimidated trying to do a new Guardians [of the Galaxy], for example."

While Vaughn doesn't explicitly say so, it's clear from film revenues alone that DC is lagging behind Marvel somewhat - perhaps igniting his interest in bringing something new to the DCEU.

"If I was going to do Batman," he continues, "there's no point doing the Dark Knight, because it's been done to perfection - if I was doing Batman, I'd go 'Christ, let's bring out the Adam West version', because [...] for me, I'm not interested in copying somebody else's take on the genre."

This may all be premature, as Vaughn himself admits that he'd like to try something new for his next project:

"I've got to figure out what I'm doing next and I feel like flexing a muscle which I haven't used before - and [...] I've filmed quite a few superhero movies."

2 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So his reasoning for wanting to make DC movies over Marvel is because there is less pressure due to lack of success.

I don't know if that's the kind of attitude I would want from somebody who wants to reboot a universe(shrug).

And in my opinion the Adam West version of Batman was done to perfection as well. I wouldn't want a creator coming in who doesn't have respect for that interpretation.

12 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So his reasoning for wanting to make DC movies over Marvel is because there is less pressure due to lack of success.

I don't know if that's the kind of attitude I would want from somebody who wants to reboot a universe(shrug).

It was an interesting statement. But most probably what he is going for is the underdog in a competition so the pressure is on him to deliver. Not a front horse that is already successful.

It's a ballsy statement. And puts the target right on him to prove himself.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It was an interesting statement. But most probably what he is going for is the underdog in a competition so the pressure is on him to deliver. Not a front horse that is already successful.

It's a ballsy statement. And puts the target right on him to prove himself.

I would disagree with that assessment as he outright says in paragraph three that it’s easier to make a good film with a franchise that’s on a downward trajectory.  Making “good” a subjective term in itself as you’d be comparing his work to the preceding excrement (such as First Class vs X-Men 3).

DC Comics needs to do the actual important things Marvel did to succeed:

1.) Cast young upcoming stars based on their acting ability (not just looks like in the US, the more British/Aussie, etc, the better)

2.) Stick to the comics, ie Superman doesnt kill, have affairs, babies out of wedlock, etc....

3.) Tell a good STORY from popular arcs.  ie Stephenwolf and the bug army is not is not a famous DC story loved by fans

4.) People have to care about the characters, dont rush them on to the screen, take time, build hype, get audience buy in. Nobody cried for a dead superman, and nobody cared when he returned.  I can tell you right now, when they kill Ironman, Vision, Captain America, etc in Avengers, a lot of people are going to care a lot.  Anyone 16-19, essentially grew up with MCU characters as their heros, toys, halloween costumes, etc.

12 hours ago, NamesJay said:

And in my opinion the Adam West version of Batman was done to perfection as well. I wouldn't want a creator coming in who doesn't have respect for that interpretation.

Same here.

The last time they tried to do over-the-top camp, we got Batman & Robin

11 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Same here.

The last time they tried to do over-the-top camp, we got Batman & Robin

Unfortunately, that was done out of desperation due to the parents' reactions to Batman Returns kids toys given out at McDonald's, leading to protests to not tempt children with their dark characters.

Knee-jerk reaction to be more 'comic booky' to appease the masses.

lol

I do have to agree, WB has snatched up some solid directors with Patty Jenkins, James Wan, Matt Reeves and David Sandberg. Now it just needs to stay out of their way once a -script and direction are agreed to.

But a Matthew Vaughn MoS 2 or Green Lantern Corps would be fun to watch.