• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letting stuff go
3 3

63 posts in this topic

Got back in the hobby after a 20+  year absence. I had a focus but in kept falling in and out of focus. I bought a whole lot fairly quickly. Runs, non-keys, keys and mega keys. Multiple copies of multiple copies. 

For my third year back I've got the story-arc runs I want (mostly) and moving forward I'm determined to keep in short and sweet. The thrill of getting back in the hobby is over and while I very much enjoy the hobby I've also learned and accepted the realities of comic book collecting today.

So I'm "thinning the heard" as they say and trying to create a razor sharp focus. Selling and trading books now but there's always the "should I let this one go?" Curious how the long-timers here deal with that unsettling feeling??

Anyways, have a great holiday all and special thanks to those here  who were/have been welcoming, friendly and helpful to a newbie. 

Edited by NoMan

When I abandoned completionism and chose to pare down my graded books, the question I asked myself wasn't "Should I keep this book?" but rather "Why do I want to keep this book?"  The answer typically boiled down to one of the following:

1. I have fond memories of this particular issue/storyline
2. I really like the cover
3. Capitalism says I should either keep now and sell later, or sell now at current value
4. I have no good reason for keeping this one, out you go!

If you think the debate will prove to be too difficult, have a few clarity beers beforehand/during.

Just now, mattn792 said:

When I abandoned completionism and chose to pare down my graded books, the question I asked myself wasn't "Should I keep this book?" but rather "Why do I want to keep this book?"  The answer typically boiled down to one of the following:

1. I have fond memories of this particular issue/storyline
2. I really like the cover
3. Capitalism says I should either keep now and sell later, or sell now at current value
4. I have no good reason for keeping this one, out you go!

If you think the debate will prove to be too difficult, have a few clarity beers beforehand/during.

I drink too many "clarity beers" and end up in the neighbor's backyard naked with a shot gun. So, um, it's not an option at this point. 

Just now, TheFifthHorseman said:

Not a long timer but I deal with it by buying more books.

Just like a breakup...gotta replace her as soon as possible! :jokealert:

I'm trying to keep it around 1 long box and 4 short boxes. Kinda like a wife and two girls on the side….

Edited by NoMan
Need more girls

57 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

At some point you realize its just stuff.  It comes and goes but is not, should not be the center of your life.  We have all bought sold and rebought. Chose what means something to you and let the rest go. I figured out a long time a go that it is not always about what I have but the journey that got me there. I think the answer is different for everyone.

+1

A few years ago I started the process of "consolidating" my collection.  The thought was, I didn't want to eventually give our son 30 long boxes of problems to deal with... I wanted to give him 3-4 boxes (at most) of really good books that a) were a representation of my favorite stuff and b) easy to sell if he ever decided that he "to heck with keeping dad's favorite stuff, let's get some cash".

Anyway, part of the process is obviously asking yourself "What is really my favorite stuff?"   But then the harder question is "What book/s are sufficient to represent that favorite?"

I'll give you a very small, specific example.

I was a fan of Nova when he came out in the 70's.  Do I need to have a full run of the 70's original series, plus all his subsequent relaunched series?  That's what I had before I started to consolidate.  Well I've since acquired a CGC 9.6 of Nova #1.  And yesterday bought an original art page from that 70's run which I'll frame and add to my collection.  Now maybe I'll look to upgrade that graded book to a 9.8, and maybe I'd love to get an OA Nova cover some day... but those two pieces, I think will represent my love of the character and allow me to let all the other stuff go.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on... but that's sort of how I deal with things on a case by case basis.

Oh and by the way... I've sold my Nova 70's series... and subsequently bought another one... sold that... bought another one... and so on.    It's like I tell my wife:  This process is like knocking over a Coke machine.  You can't do it in one push - you have to rock it back and forth several times before it goes over for good.  lol

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, fmaz said:

A few years ago I started the process of "consolidating" my collection.  The thought was, I didn't want to eventually give our son 30 long boxes of problems to deal with... I wanted to give him 3-4 boxes (at most) of really good books that a) were a representation of my favorite stuff and b) easy to sell if he ever decided that he "to heck with keeping dad's favorite stuff, let's get some cash".

Anyway, part of the process is obviously asking yourself "What is really my favorite stuff?"   But then the harder question is "What book/s are sufficient to represent that favorite?"

I'll give you a very small, specific example.

I was a fan of Nova when he came out in the 70's.  Do I need to have a full run of the 70's original series, plus all his subsequent relaunched series?  That's what I had before I started to consolidate.  Well I've since acquired a CGC 9.6 of Nova #1.  And yesterday bought an original art page from that 70's run which I'll frame and add to my collection.  Now maybe I'll look to upgrade that graded book to a 9.8, and maybe I'd love to get an OA Nova cover some day... but those two pieces, I think will represent my love of the character and allow me to let all the other stuff go.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on... but that's sort of how I deal with things on a case by case basis.

Oh and by the way... I've sold my Nova 70's series... and subsequently bought another one... sold that... bought another one... and so on.    It's like I tell my wife:  This process is like knocking over a Coke machine.  You can't do it in one push - you have to rock it back and forth several times before it goes over for good.  lol

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time for such a thoughtful and warm response. I also feel like I don’t want to leave a bunch of boxes of comics for someone to deal with after I go toes up. I’d rather have a smaller, manageable pile. In the two years I’ve been here I’ve seen a couple of posts where a boardie has been called to some friend of a friend of friend’s father’s house where there is a huge collection of (fill in the blank)  lets say Superman stuff and it’s cool but only a couple of items are worth anything and everyone is cratching their heads about what to do because the investment of time ain’t worth it. If you had a small solid collect of something, you know. 

Woyld love to hear the story about buying and selling (repeatedly) the Nova series. I’ve only got a raw #1 8.0 or so. I need to read it one of these days. 

Edited by NoMan

Just now, porcupine48 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You guys all sound like lightweights. 

If I could get it down to about 150 short boxes from about 250, I'd be happy.

That's like,MOST of your Tarzan collection though! :nyah:

That's only one short box.  :eyeroll: