2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

156 posts in this topic

5,203 posts

My 2018 Goals:

1) Get six (or more?) GOTG themed commissions from a specific artist I've been working with.

2) Get several other GOTG themed commissions from various other artists (these are all already in the pipeline).

3) Pick up several published pieces and a commission from a favorite 80's independent guy (also already in the pipeline).

4) Only buy published stuff that is personally key. Hopefully only several pieces at most (other than the ones already mentioned in goal #3).

5) Stay focused and spend little!

Edited by Bill C

359 posts

I acquired three pages in my first year of this OA hobby, therefore I will submit three goals to the record for next year:

1) Acquire a wicked awesome Silver Surfer page/cover/splash/etc.

2) Acquire a page/cover/splash/etc from a favorite childhood story arc, which I'll say runs from the late 80s until my high school graduation in '97.  Stuff like Lethal Protector, Maximum Carnage (I know, ick, but I loved it as a kid), Infinity anything (especially heavily featuring Warlock), etc.

3) Buy a page from Felix Comic Art.

Audible: If the defense is going to play man with a single safety over the top, then we're going down to Chinatown on a Kirby page.  The verbal at the line will be "Krackle".

3,513 posts

These are my stretch goals and would require financial discipline, but one must have goals. :)

• Swanderson Superman page
  • Swan/Klein Superman or LSH page
  • Kirby Thor or New Gods page
  • Marshall Rogers Detective (Batman) page from his wonderful run with Steve Englehart and Terry Austin
  • D**k Sprang Batman
  • Everett Sub-Mariner page
  • Mayer Scribbly page (if there are any)
Edited by alxjhnsn

7,679 posts

My goal is to get at least 2 painting from one artist and one painting from another...I was doing some what good with not over buying but fell apart in the last 3 months or so...

12,056 posts

I have been fairly quiet this year, which is not a surprise after selling off so much in the prior few years in pursuit of The Fifty (which is still happening just much much more slowly). I bought some Mignolas (the fatal mistake and a few of those small inked pieces he favors) but am not sure if I bought anything by anyone else. (Wow, that is a bit of a stunner.) But I have the itch and it has been building for a while now; in fact I told the wife a week or three ago that I had the itch and that she should not be surprised if I get something but I have not seen anything that tickled my fancy yet.

So I hope for ONE OF the following, off the top of my head. (Ooh, I bought a BWS page this year, just recalled that one.)

• Bill Everett Dr Strange page
  • Moebius page
  • FM piece, possibly LW&C cover (and yes, I will talk to Mitch when the time comes) or an Elektra page
  • Alex Raymond inked piece with variety of line thickness throughout

My appreciation for both HG Peter and George Herriman has also grown considerably and will likely continue to grow. Stumbling into something like that or a nice Winsor McCay could also make my year.

Edited by Bird

3,513 posts
40 minutes ago, Bird said:

My appreciation for both HG Peter and George Herriman has also grown considerably and will likely continue to grow. Stumbling into something like that or a nice Winsor McCay could also make my year.

H. G. Peter does not get the credit he deserves, IMHO. Loved his art and managed to get a piece a couple of years ago.
H. G. Peter Wonder Woman

I'd love something by Herriman, too, but $. Maybe I should add him to my list though.

1,100 posts
47 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have been fairly quiet this year, which is not a surprise after selling off so much in the prior few years in pursuit of The Fifty (which is still happening just much much more slowly). I bought some Mignolas (the fatal mistake and a few of those small inked pieces he favors) but am not sure if I bought anything by anyone else. (Wow, that is a bit of a stunner.) But I have the itch and it has been building for a while now; in fact I told the wife a week or three ago that I had the itch and that she should not be surprised if I get something but I have not seen anything that tickled my fancy yet.

So I hope for ONE OF the following, off the top of my head. (Ooh, I bought a BWS page this year, just recalled that one.)

• Bill Everett Dr Strange page
  • Moebius page
  • FM piece, possibly LW&C cover (and yes, I will talk to Mitch when the time comes) or an Elektra page
  • Alex Raymond inked piece with variety of line thickness throughout

Sorry, I sold all the Lone Wolf & Cub Miller covers.

22,900 posts

My 2018 hobby goals are the same as in 2017:

1. Stay ultra-focused and try not to stray much from my very narrow want list.

2. Continue to resist the temptation to buy smaller pieces or pieces I don't really need - no buying for buying's sake.

3. My overriding goal will be, for a third second consecutive year, to ensure that any OA purchases are fully offset by OA sales. 

In fact, regarding #3 above, I've given a lot of thought to it and have concluded that I could probably do with shrinking the overall size of my collection (as measured by market value, not by # of pieces) by 20-25% over the next few years and still be very happy with my collection.*  

* I will probably be more receptive going forward to listening to strong offers on some pieces that I would not have entertained parting with in the past.

2,388 posts

I have only one goal. There is a certain page out there that I have been working on for over a year and I would like to have it framed and hanging in my newly finished basement.

275 posts

I got back into collecting original art in 2017 and have picked up quite a few nice pieces. Still focusing on collecting Byrne pages from mid-70s early 80s. Below are my goals for 2018

1. Byrne X-Men page (let me know if you have one for sale) once this is met, then the other goals...

2. Byrne MTU page, Avengers page, Cap page 

Collecting original art is definitely much more fun and challenging than when I was collecting comics! Collecting goals with original art are very much dependent upon availability and is easy to get side tracked, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!

2,176 posts

Stay Focused, that's my goal.  Don't buy something just "because"

-add to my invsibiles stack of art.

-Get art from the series I really appreciate and get examples that are better than just ticking off boxes.

5,412 posts

It's very simple for me these days:

- Stay within my means.

- Have fun.

Regarding the former, I'll venture out of my comfort zone from time to time, but I try not to make a habit of it. The latter, though, is a must. Very grateful to all fellow collectors who help keep this hobby interesting and yes, fun!

1,022 posts
18 minutes ago, Nexus said:

:applause::headbang:(worship)

But only if you see something you like!

And if only if you are fast enough.  Everything awesome sells out in minutes. Seconds?

5,412 posts
10 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

And if only if you are fast enough.  Everything awesome sells out in minutes. Seconds?

Yes, it can go fast. But everyone has a shot, at least.

1,022 posts

2018 goal

Focus.  Try and resist fun stuff so when a great piece comes up - hopefully I can go for it.  For the past couple years there have been a couple of pieces each year that I was really excited to see at auction but were way above my comfort zone.  By avoiding smaller pieces, hope to save enough to go for such a piece in 2018 when it shows up.

5,203 posts
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

- Have fun.

So important! Very much worth stressing.

4,961 posts
1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

53 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Yes, it can go fast. But everyone has a shot, at least.

My only problem is that you tend to put new art up smack in the middle of my work day - I'm almost always in a meeting! On the bright side, that has probably saved me thousands of dollars.

111 posts

After spending my first full year (2016) on the sidelines, I bought four minor pages in 2017.  There was one piece that I missed out on due to mistiming the auction by an hour, which was a bummer.

I’m hoping to sell off a good chunk of my comics and roll the money into art this year.  My income will also increase substantially starting in January, so some of that will likely wind up as new money into the hobby.

My macro-level, long-term goal is to not wind up with hundreds or thousands of pages like some have.  It's a different beast, obviously, but after lugging my comics across the continent twice, and holding onto them for 20+ years, I want to keep things managable.

A few things I’d like to acquire in 2018 are:

• At least one page from Doom Patrol 51 (and other Morrison DP art, in general)
  • A Bisley cover
  • Something by Bolland—maybe an Animal Man cover.
  • TSR art!

I don’t anticipate being able to pull in more than one or two of those, at best, but we’ll see.  The list above had too many honourable mentions to go into, but will provide opportunities if the above don’t materialize, I’m sure.

1 post

I would love to get an affordable (if any exist)

Jack Kirby (anything)

Steve Ditko (anything)

John Byrne 70s/80s

Curt Swan 60s/70s

Wayne Boring (anything)

Al Plastino  (anything)

George Papp (anything)

If I can get just one of these pieces I would be happy!