2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

155 posts in this topic

7,237 posts

Not my normal annual collecting goals, in 2018 I hope to wrap up 24 commissions with a single artist.   They've been a LOOONG time in the making and 2018 should see them all completed. 

I just hope my taste is good enough that others will approve of my choice :roflmao:

731 posts

Make sure the artist sends back scans, and be sure to immediately have them signed by Stan at his next appearance. He'll do it of course. No matter what they are.
I just hope you were clear about the headgear.

26,707 posts

Was very focused, didn't buy a single page in 2017.  Did buy one commission but haven't received it yet.  6 months overdue.

My main goals are to sell off stuff that doesn't interest me as much.

Buying Goals:

Starlin Dreadstar interior page featuring Willow.

Barry Kitson Judge Anderson Page

Barry Kitson Batgirl Special pages

4,194 posts

Sticking to my original goal, as listed before. Missed out on some stuff, but also able to grab a few things.

As for the highlights this year...

-I was able to get 2 ROM pages,

-The cover to my favorite story to a particular series, that I haven't posted

-One of my favorite pages from Boba Fett, Agent of Doom, which was a major score me personally

-Another cover to a more well known series  also not posted.

Am done for the year, and hoping to add some things in 2018.

7,276 posts

Slow down and focus. Start to sell pieces that don't fit or I don't have an attachment to.

Limit commissions to a max of $500.

91 posts

X-Men for me.  I checked off a couple boxes in 2017 (Byrne, Portacio) and hope to check off a couple more this year.  Would love to get examples from Lee, Silvestri and Romita Jr this year.  

1,043 posts
16 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:
  1. Dream big.

Really found this inspiring.

so with that in mind, changing my goals.

1. Meet a real life hula girl

2. Ride a top a majestic rhino in Africa

3. Get facial reconstruction surgery to look like a 30-40 something Michael Douglas.

12,825 posts
13 hours ago, Timely said:

Due to a few recent sales, I was able to buy a NICE Ditko piece. My goal is to have it paid off by May. :wishluck:

congrats

467 posts

My collecting goals shifted in the latter half of 2017 to allow me to get art that I really enjoy, rather than focusing on one artist or character. When I started hardcore collecting back in 1999, I was buying pages that hit a nostalgic nerve for me and really enjoying the hobby. Then, I switched to a Charlton cover focus and then Miracleman. My collecting focus then moved on to DC cover art and, from there, Jonah Hex, which I collected for nearly a decade before realizing there were only so many mean mugshots that I could get of him before it all looked the same. Early in 2017, I was focused on building the biggest Dan DeCarlo Archie Cheryl Blossom and Betty and Veronica art collection, but then I realized that I was getting stuck in that collecting focus/rut again and needed to get away from just buying one type of art and branch out more. That freed me up to get my three Frazettas, a Dave Stevens Bettie Page drawing and some other art that I never thought possible for me to acquire; all art I really enjoy. I hope to continue on that path in 2018 and to continue finding those small pockets of hidden art like I was blessed to do in 2016 and 2017.

731 posts
1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

My collecting goals shifted in the latter half of 2017 to allow me to get art that I really enjoy, rather than focusing on one artist or character. When I started hardcore collecting back in 1999, I was buying pages that hit a nostalgic nerve for me and really enjoying the hobby. Then, I switched to a Charlton cover focus and then Miracleman. My collecting focus then moved on to DC cover art and, from there, Jonah Hex, which I collected for nearly a decade before realizing there were only so many mean mugshots that I could get of him before it all looked the same. Early in 2017, I was focused on building the biggest Dan DeCarlo Archie Cheryl Blossom and Betty and Veronica art collection, but then I realized that I was getting stuck in that collecting focus/rut again and needed to get away from just buying one type of art and branch out more. That freed me up to get my three Frazettas, a Dave Stevens Bettie Page drawing and some other art that I never thought possible for me to acquire; all art I really enjoy. I hope to continue on that path in 2018 and to continue finding those small pockets of hidden art like I was blessed to do in 2016 and 2017.

It sounds like you had a good year, Michael, with the Frazettas and the Dave Stevens. I like this write-up because you show us newbies the unintended consequences of having too narrow of a focus, like there are only so many Jonah Hex mugs before they all look the same. I might be overstepping my bounds here, but did you sell off your previous collections to get the Frazettas and Stevens? It's just that I noticed that your CAF looked a lot thinner than when I last visited. 

2,028 posts

Goals will be ranges (as always) and general guidelines

1. As always dont spend anything on art that isnt offset/paid for with OA sales.

2. Know when a piece is bought for value and when a piece is bought for personal, dont conflate the two.

3. Cut personal collection down to 10 pieces, if you wouldnt get it framed on your wall you have to be willing to part with it.

4. 80's marvel Iconic, dont be afraid to put the stake in the ground.

5. Acquire at least 2 more books off the "Top Ten Marvel Silverage Set".

6. At least one iconic elite level piece from  A. Kieth MCP  B. Sandman C. Star Wars Marvel D. Uncanny X-Men E. DKR  F. 80's Marvel Covers

Edited by zhamlau

467 posts
1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

It sounds like you had a good year, Michael, with the Frazettas and the Dave Stevens. I like this write-up because you show us newbies the unintended consequences of having too narrow of a focus, like there are only so many Jonah Hex mugs before they all look the same. I might be overstepping my bounds here, but did you sell off your previous collections to get the Frazettas and Stevens? It's just that I noticed that your CAF looked a lot thinner than when I last visited. 

I sold off a large part of it, including some of my bigger pieces. There are some of the old favorites that I still have, but I don't plan on putting those back up on CAF anytime soon, if ever. I wanted to start completely fresh and I looked at what I had and wondered about it all: Why did I buy some of this stuff? Some purchases were because I saw something that fit into my collection focus and I had the cash so I bought it; then, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I didn't save for something better when something better came along (and it always does). Some of the old collection was used to get the bigger items, like the Frazettas, whose work I never thought I'd ever be able to get close to, much less even own. But, after all the collecting focuses I've had over the years, I just decided to enjoy the art and not stress over trying to build another single-focus collection like I had in the past. It was a chain I needed to break (I have a couple Jonah Hex pieces left that absolutely make my stomach hurt because I paid way too much and got bad art from artists who should have done better; those helped me make the changes). I have a much more enjoyable collection now with the diversity of pieces. There are a few things that I want to get in the coming year and I'm already working on three of those. After that, I don't really have much in the way of goals, just enjoying what I have and what comes along.

1,092 posts

I’ve been trying to ease out of the hobby for the last few years. I did better in 2017 by only picking up four covers. I’ll aim for two in 2018.

731 posts
59 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I sold off a large part of it, including some of my bigger pieces. There are some of the old favorites that I still have, but I don't plan on putting those back up on CAF anytime soon, if ever. I wanted to start completely fresh and I looked at what I had and wondered about it all: Why did I buy some of this stuff? Some purchases were because I saw something that fit into my collection focus and I had the cash so I bought it; then, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I didn't save for something better when something better came along (and it always does). Some of the old collection was used to get the bigger items, like the Frazettas, whose work I never thought I'd ever be able to get close to, much less even own. But, after all the collecting focuses I've had over the years, I just decided to enjoy the art and not stress over trying to build another single-focus collection like I had in the past. It was a chain I needed to break (I have a couple Jonah Hex pieces left that absolutely make my stomach hurt because I paid way too much and got bad art from artists who should have done better; those helped me make the changes). I have a much more enjoyable collection now with the diversity of pieces. There are a few things that I want to get in the coming year and I'm already working on three of those. After that, I don't really have much in the way of goals, just enjoying what I have and what comes along.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I can relate to a lot of what you say and there's a lot more that I take in as a precautionary tale. I guess it takes a few years in the hobby to understand what pieces give you joy in the long run and which don't. 

I noticed that you were the one who took down that Buckingham Ghost Rider cover. Although not cheap, that was a good price. Had it gone to auction, who knows where it would have ended? I notice that you have at least two Ghost Rider pieces. That looks like a focus to me. Just kidding :) I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bad Ghost Rider cover. Those are just cool so I understand why anyone would gobble them up.

731 posts
23 minutes ago, Reader said:

I’ve been trying to ease out of the hobby for the last few years. I did better in 2017 by only picking up four covers. I’ll aim for two in 2018.

Any particular reason why you're trying to ease out of the hobby? Sometimes i wish I would, or could, when things get out of control--like when I really start stressing over winning an auction. Yeah, I wish I could keep it down to two pieces a year. I'm hoping to reign it in a lot more in 2018. I don't think I'll leave the hobby anytime soon but I'd like to get to the point--soon--where I have examples of the things I want that I don't feel the need to buy the shiny pretty things thrown in my face. Do you have a CAF? I'm curious to see those four covers :) 

1,092 posts
On 12/29/2017 at 1:44 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

Any particular reason why you're trying to ease out of the hobby? Sometimes i wish I would, or could, when things get out of control--like when I really start stressing over winning an auction. Yeah, I wish I could keep it down to two pieces a year. I'm hoping to reign it in a lot more in 2018. I don't think I'll leave the hobby anytime soon but I'd like to get to the point--soon--where I have examples of the things I want that I don't feel the need to buy the shiny pretty things thrown in my face. Do you have a CAF? I'm curious to see those four covers :) 

Hi Jay, yes, I just want to focus more on my other hobby, rare books. I’ve really enjoyed interacting with other CAF members so I may never exit out completely and nostalgia will still drive me to pick up that special one when it comes along.

Edited by Reader

3,803 posts

My goals for 2018 remain the same as every year:

1) to track down more pages from Howard the Duck #9;

2) and to acquire a McCay "Little Nemo", a Herriman "Krazy Kat" and an Eisner "Spirit" page or pages.

Every year I hold out hope that I'll achieve the first goal, but it has been perhaps six years since I last found a page from HTD #9 (or more accurately, since Glen Gold found it for me) and in that case, the owner wasn't (and still isn't) willing to part with it. Other than watching the auctions and posting here occasionally, I'm not even sure where to look any more. Unlike Colan art from, say, TOD which is relatively common, most pages from his run on HTD have never surfaced. 

As for my other goals, as each year passes I'm less likely to achieve them. Prices keep rising and I've reached an age where I'm less willing to invest five figures in a piece of comic art.

2,298 posts

Macro Goals:

$75 in for every $100 out, fund 3/4 of new art with old art.

Frame most, if not all of the collection and sell the rest. I only have a few pieces framed so I would like to get everything I love framed, and everything else that doesn't meet that threshold sell. The problem I run into is I have a fair amount of "placeholder" examples where I like/love them, but am actively looking to upgrade to a better piece of the same subject matter. I can't decide what to do with those pieces. 

Micro Goals:

Get a Mignola. I have wanted one for awhile, ended up with 4 underbids at auction for Mignola pieces in 2017 but have not yet got an example. I would like to cross that off the list for 2018.

I have 3 commission lists I would like to get on from Felix's team.

Try to focus more on splash pages. I have lots of panel pages, some covers, but very few splash pages for some reason.