2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

156 posts in this topic

2,298 posts

Macro Goals:

$75 in for every $100 out, fund 3/4 of new art with old art.

Frame most, if not all of the collection and sell the rest. I only have a few pieces framed so I would like to get everything I love framed, and everything else that doesn't meet that threshold sell. The problem I run into is I have a fair amount of "placeholder" examples where I like/love them, but am actively looking to upgrade to a better piece of the same subject matter. I can't decide what to do with those pieces. 

Micro Goals:

Get a Mignola. I have wanted one for awhile, ended up with 4 underbids at auction for Mignola pieces in 2017 but have not yet got an example. I would like to cross that off the list for 2018.

I have 3 commission lists I would like to get on from Felix's team.

Try to focus more on splash pages. I have lots of panel pages, some covers, but very few splash pages for some reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,439 posts

I would be happy to pick up one piece of artwork in 2018. Cover or Splash. Ideally a pre-hero Kirby splash or a Romita Spider-Man splash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,955 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 6:12 PM, delekkerste said:

My 2018 hobby goals are the same as in 2017:

1. Stay ultra-focused and try not to stray much from my very narrow want list.

I've realized very recently that probably 95%+ of what I would really still like to own is material that came out in just a brief, 4-year period (1983-86).  While there's a few specific things from outside of this range that I would still be interested in (please refer again to the Want List linked above), from this year onwards, I think I'm going to be pretty much the 1983 to 1986 Guy. :insane: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,740 posts

My goal is probably to finally pick up my first published cover. But, it has to be one that stands out for me, and that really hits my sweet spot. I'm not going to pick one up just for the heck of it. Also, I have a $1000 price limit on OA, that I do not want to cross. Which is why it's harder to pick up that really nice cover.

Otherwise, I want to be very disciplined in terms of buying. Right now, my itch has been scratched, and I can probably go for several months without buying any new pieces. Probably not until I hit one of the major conventions where I may see some art I want to pick up from an artist. So, I'm husbanding my resources. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
591 posts
16 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've realized very recently that probably 95%+ of what I would really still like to own is material that came out in just a brief, 4-year period (1983-86).  While there's a few specific things from outside of this range that I would still be interested in (please refer again to the Want List linked above), from this year onwards, I think I'm going to be pretty much the 1983 to 1986 Guy. :insane: 

 

Whew. As a 1987 guy, this gives me immeasurable relief. You stay focused, Gene! We're all counting on you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,028 posts
11 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

My goal is probably to finally pick up my first published cover. But, it has to be one that stands out for me, and that really hits my sweet spot. I'm not going to pick one up just for the heck of it. Also, I have a $1000 price limit on OA, that I do not want to cross. Which is why it's harder to pick up that really nice cover.

Otherwise, I want to be very disciplined in terms of buying. Right now, my itch has been scratched, and I can probably go for several months without buying any new pieces. Probably not until I hit one of the major conventions where I may see some art I want to pick up from an artist. So, I'm husbanding my resources. :grin:

Thats cool that you want to branch out. The only thing to consider is the 1000 limit.  What is that based on?  I used to have a limit on comics when I was a kid. Nothing over $10. In aggregate - I would spend more than $10 - but not on any one book. In the end didnt have the best collection.  

Better to set the limit for the year(total on art) and if a piece falls within that - you have more room to get something you love. At least this way the limit is dictated by your budget - not by some artificial number

my 2c.

Edited by Panelfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,028 posts
11 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Whew. As a 1987 guy, this gives me immeasurable relief. You stay focused, Gene! We're all counting on you! 

I was going to say it - but glad someone else did first!  

Did the math today - and I think I am also a 1987 -1991 guy myself in terms of nostalgia - but I dont have the resolution that Gene has. I like art from all time periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
360 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 4:11 PM, Andahaion said:

I acquired three pages in my first year of this OA hobby, therefore I will submit three goals to the record for next year:

1) Acquire a wicked awesome Silver Surfer page/cover/splash/etc.

2) Acquire a page/cover/splash/etc from a favorite childhood story arc, which I'll say runs from the late 80s until my high school graduation in '97.  Stuff like Lethal Protector, Maximum Carnage (I know, ick, but I loved it as a kid), Infinity anything (especially heavily featuring Warlock), etc.

3) Buy a page from Felix Comic Art.

Audible: If the defense is going to play man with a single safety over the top, then we're going down to Chinatown on a Kirby page.  The verbal at the line will be "Krackle".

 

Strike one on goal #3.  Had a meeting that went to 12:30pm today...page I wanted (pg. 1) was gone.  Parenthetically, if any of you here bought page 1 from Issue #13, I'll gladly PayPal you double what you paid.  If this happened, it would satisfy two goals with one purchase!  Winning.

 

EDIT: This is in reference to the Thanos Wins art.

Edited by Andahaion
Clarification on the art referenced in original post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,413 posts
2 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Strike one on goal #3.  Had a meeting that went to 12:30pm today...page I wanted (pg. 1) was gone.  Parenthetically, if any of you here bought page 1 from Issue #13, I'll gladly PayPal you double what you paid.  If this happened, it would satisfy two goals with one purchase!  Winning.

 

EDIT: This is in reference to the Thanos Wins art.

I don't schedule art drops for everything that hits the site, but for the art I do...it tends to go very, very fast. Sorry about your meeting!

I can reach out to the issue #13 page 1 buyer if you like, but if you are able to get it, that would only satisfy one goal...you'd be getting the art from him, not me!:P

I want to add that the biggest collector in the hobby (who prefers to go unnamed...Gene's nickname for him is The Vacuum), is right there at the drop along with everyone else. He's never tried to pull rank by pressuring me to sell him pages he wants ahead of time (which I won't do, because then none of this would work). He didn't get what he wanted today, either. So you're not alone. Even BSDs can get shut out.

Anyway, everyone has the same shot at the drop. And thanks to The Vacuum for understanding that and playing fair!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
360 posts
2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I don't schedule art drops for everything that hits the site, but for the art I do...it tends to go very, very fast. Sorry about your meeting!

I can reach out to the issue #13 page 1 buyer if you like, but if you are able to get it, that would only satisfy one goal...you'd be getting the art from him, not me!:P

I want to add that the biggest collector in the hobby (who prefers to go unnamed...Gene's nickname for him is The Vacuum), is right there at the drop along with everyone else. He's never tried to pull rank by pressuring me to sell him pages he wants ahead of time (which I won't do, because then none of this would work). He didn't get what he wanted today, either. So you're not alone. Even BSDs can get shut out.

Anyway, everyone has the same shot at the drop. And thanks to The Vacuum for understanding that and playing fair!

 

I hope I didn't come across as being upset (in a bad way) or anything about the format.  I think it's great fun, and certainly not the end of the world for me.  This is a hobby, a sport, not life or death (or anything close to that).  And you are correct, I would still owe you a purchase...and happy to do so should I find the right page.  :)

About #13, page 1...if you don't think it improper to reach out, I would certainly hold up my end of the bargain.  That is a sweet, sweet cosmic Surfer page.  Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,413 posts
1 minute ago, Andahaion said:

I hope I didn't come across as being upset (in a bad way) or anything about the format.  I think it's great fun, and certainly not the end of the world for me.  This is a hobby, a sport, not life or death (or anything close to that).  And you are correct, I would still owe you a purchase...and happy to do so should I find the right page.  :)

About #13, page 1...if you don't think it improper to reach out, I would certainly hold up my end of the bargain.  That is a sweet, sweet cosmic Surfer page.  Cheers.

No worries at all!

Shoot me an e-mail. I will put you two together if he's amenable. Based on previous attempts, I would say odds are low. He doesn't sell much (if anything). But happy to reach out for you and try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,491 posts

For 2018 - 1 or 2 pages, at most.  The things at which I'm always looking :

1. A Romita ASM page ... although finding something that I can afford and blows me away seems like an impossible task, so far.
2.  My first cover - Probably something modern and Spidey related
3.  A great FF or Avengers Silver or early Bronze page.  Avengers page would need to have the big three.
4. Spidey Silver / Bronze pages. 

Good luck to everyone in finding the stuff on your lists!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 posts

2018 Original Art Collecting Goals

-Figure out what my collection is. 2017 was a major year as I built my collection up with a lot of strong pieces now I just need to figure out what my collection is and what I want it to be. 

-A Batman page by Jim Aparo. My definitive Batman artist and one that I would one day love to acquire a page from particularly from Batman 442 through the rest of Aparo's  Bat-run.

-I discovered God Country too late. It was a story that profoundly spoke to me as I lost my father last month. While all the original pages are gone I would love a God Country Commission from Geoff Shaw.

-Return to the Felix Comic Art Podcast. I had so much fun being a part of the November episode and I would love to return and this time have our conversation be in person.

-Continue to make friends in the hobby. I love collecting original art.

 

Here is to a great 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,028 posts
20 hours ago, comicfanboy007 said:

2018 Original Art Collecting Goals

-Figure out what my collection is. 2017 was a major year as I built my collection up with a lot of strong pieces now I just need to figure out what my collection is and what I want it to be. 

-A Batman page by Jim Aparo. My definitive Batman artist and one that I would one day love to acquire a page from particularly from Batman 442 through the rest of Aparo's  Bat-run.

-I discovered God Country too late. It was a story that profoundly spoke to me as I lost my father last month. While all the original pages are gone I would love a God Country Commission from Geoff Shaw.

-Return to the Felix Comic Art Podcast. I had so much fun being a part of the November episode and I would love to return and this time have our conversation be in person.

-Continue to make friends in the hobby. I love collecting original art.

 

Here is to a great 2018.

Even though we never met - sorry to hear about your loss. It's tough to lose a dad.

Thanks for the tip on God Country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,182 posts

Much hasn't changed in my want list, besides trying to only go for a few nice pieces a year now, which means I'll likely only be getting maybe 5 pieces if not less which is what it will probably be. I'll just be bumping my want/looking list thread, but it seems auctions are how I'm finding more of the pieces I want now. I'll also be trying to make friends/connections in the hobby which is also part of the fun of it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112 posts

I started collecting eight months ago and have already spent waaaaaay more than I ever thought I would spend on a hobby.

My collecting focus is art from Alan Moore books. In the last eight months, I have been able to pick up pages from Moore’s WildCATS run, Judgment Day (from Awesome Comics), Saga of the Swamp Thing, Top Ten, Tom Strong and, of course, my namesake, Skizz with Jim Baikie.

I don’t have any illusions about being able to afford art from Miracleman, V for Vendetta or Watchmen at this stage of my life.

But for 2018, I would like to be able to pick up OA from Moore’s work on Spawn-Violator, Promethea and Halo Jones.  And maybe, just maybe, if the stars align, a page from League of Extraordinary Gentleman. 

Edited by Skizz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
809 posts
On 1/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, comicfanboy007 said:

-A Batman page by Jim Aparo. My definitive Batman artist and one that I would one day love to acquire a page from particularly from Batman 442 through the rest of Aparo's  Bat-run.

Start saving! They're out there, but aren't cheap :baiting:

 

On 1/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, comicfanboy007 said:

-Return to the Felix Comic Art Podcast. I had so much fun being a part of the November episode and I would love to return and this time have our conversation be in person.

 

It was great to hear your perspective on the show.  Hope you get a return invite. :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145 posts

I have already accomplished my goal for 2018:

I picked up a Davis/Neary Excalibur page from the first 8 issues (Special and 1-7) which "spotlights" either Kitty or Rachel prominently. Just waiting for it to show up in the mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1