2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

155 posts in this topic

76 posts

My goals for 2018 :

- Frank Miller artwork from 300 (Mitch :wishluck:)

- Ashley Wood nice oil

- Mc Spidey page

a french fan

1,145 posts
7 hours ago, julianross06 said:

My goals for 2018 :

- Frank Miller artwork from 300 (Mitch :wishluck:)

- Ashley Wood nice oil

- Mc Spidey page

a french fan

There ain't no more 300 art for sale, except for the cover to #4

56 posts
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, Catwoman_Fan said:

Start saving! They're out there, but aren't cheap :baiting:

It was great to hear your perspective on the show.  Hope you get a return invite. :wishluck:

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Even though we never met - sorry to hear about your loss. It's tough to lose a dad.

Thanks for the tip on God Country.

Thank you so much Catwoman_Fan. I loved being on Felix's show so much and considering it was what really got me to up my OA collecting game it meant the world to me.  With Aparo pages I know that purchase will both hurt and be super rewarding. I have my true grail Aparo page (from Batman #442), but I would love really any page that had Batman on it. If it had Batman unmasked I would really love it. When I was young and foolish I knew they were out there and very affordable even by yesterday's standards. I wrote his former rep to see if there was anything else out there and he said what the family had they were not parting with. I even heard Back Issue was going to do a retrospective special on him as well but again there were issues with the estate. Hopefully that will be resolved I would even settle for an Aparo Artist Edition...even an Artifact Edition would do.

Panelfan1- Thank you for the kind words regarding my father. Definitely check out God Country. It is well worth your time. Wonderfully written by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw's art is gorgeous.

56 posts
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, Skizz said:

I started collecting eight months ago and have already spent waaaaaay more than I ever thought I would spend on a hobby.

My collecting focus is art from Alan Moore books. In the last eight months, I have been able to pick up pages from Moore’s WildCATS run, Judgment Day (from Awesome Comics), Saga of the Swamp Thing, Top Ten, Tom Strong and, of course, my namesake, Skizz with Jim Baikie.

I don’t have any illusions about being able to afford art from Miracleman, V for Vendetta or Watchmen at this stage of my life.

But for 2018, I would like to be able to pick up OA from Moore’s work on Spawn-Violator, Promethea and Halo Jones.  And maybe, just maybe, if the stars align, a page from League of Extraordinary Gentleman. 

Welcome to the hobby my friend. I wish you good luck in 2018. It's great that your collection has such focus. I am still finding out what my collection is. While I don't have a page from LOEG I did get Kevin O'Neil to sketch me a stressing out Dr. Jekyll at signing a few years ago. Which is probably as close as I will ever get. Feel free to check it out. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1152674

1,837 posts

My chief collecting goal is to pick up my first Cover. Which should happen in a couple of weeks.

Other than that? Save money so I can pick up pages I come across during convention season.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

763 posts

After a spectacular 2016, the hobby responded with a relatively quiet 2017 for me, allowing for a welcome reload.

There will always be a variety of 'opportunities' every year; I hope to be able to navigate through the 'would likes' to concentrate on the 'must haves,' and continue to reload. 

BUT, I'd love for at least ONE of my 'Most Wanted' to show up.

(Probably about the same as most everyone else here)

37 posts

i checked off the last big thing on my want list from years ago in 2017.  a krazy kat sunday.  a crumb also got checked off earlier in the year.  so, i am onto the ever changing but less important want list.  although i won't be in a position to buy for about 2 months, here is my want/wish list of the year

colan/everett page - i prefer twice up

jhwilliams batwoman page with great layouts

hewlett tank girl page - i have been looking for a long time

chris ware piece - probably building stories

charles burns panel page

manga art - tezuka, mizuki.  i have never seen art from asano or urasawa for sale but if i found some, i'd be all over that.

valerian page by mezieres

art by hermann and vance

i'd like art by peyo and morris but i doubt i'd pay up for what it will cost.  i am not interested in studio art.

one day, a nice corto maltese page.  if i had the money available, i'd pay up for that.

little nemo by mccay is another pipe dream. 

for the hewlett and williams pages i prepared to overpay for.  if you have one you would consider selling, do let me know.

jeff

963 posts

Jeff, I can honestly say, amidst all of the Marvel and Dc fans, that I've never seen such an esoteric want list.  

As always, good luck and happy collecting!

1,043 posts
6 hours ago, art4comics.com said:

i checked off the last big thing on my want list from years ago in 2017.  a krazy kat sunday.  a crumb also got checked off earlier in the year.  so, i am onto the ever changing but less important want list.  although i won't be in a position to buy for about 2 months, here is my want/wish list of the year

colan/everett page - i prefer twice up

jhwilliams batwoman page with great layouts

hewlett tank girl page - i have been looking for a long time

chris ware piece - probably building stories

charles burns panel page

manga art - tezuka, mizuki.  i have never seen art from asano or urasawa for sale but if i found some, i'd be all over that.

valerian page by mezieres

art by hermann and vance

i'd like art by peyo and morris but i doubt i'd pay up for what it will cost.  i am not interested in studio art.

one day, a nice corto maltese page.  if i had the money available, i'd pay up for that.

little nemo by mccay is another pipe dream. 

for the hewlett and williams pages i prepared to overpay for.  if you have one you would consider selling, do let me know.

jeff

use comicarttracker. I think i saw a valerian page or 2 recently.

112 posts
21 hours ago, comicfanboy007 said:

Welcome to the hobby my friend. I wish you good luck in 2018. It's great that your collection has such focus. I am still finding out what my collection is. While I don't have a page from LOEG I did get Kevin O'Neil to sketch me a stressing out Dr. Jekyll at signing a few years ago. Which is probably as close as I will ever get. Feel free to check it out. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1152674

Thanks dude. I guess a little focus on this hobby is not such a bad thing for the wallet.

That said, I did buy a small Moebius piece I found whilst vacationing in France. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=185105

I see that aside from the Dr Jekyll sketch, you also have a Gibbons Watchmen sketch. Very cool; these should keep you satisfied until the day you can get a page from LXG and Watchmen. 

Best of luck on 2018.

Rudra

151 posts

This thread crossed my mind as my 7th Bianchi page of the year arrived yesterday, staying on goal of 1/month.  I've never actually achieved a goal so this is sorta unique, LOL.  Just wondering how everyone else is doing on their initial plans/goals and if they had changed.  

963 posts

2018 collecting goals?  That’s easy!

1.  Continue spending like a drunken sailor

2. Continue to expand my friendships and purchases from collectors abroad

3.  See 1, above

23,501 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 6:12 PM, delekkerste said:

My 2018 hobby goals are the same as in 2017:

1. Stay ultra-focused and try not to stray much from my very narrow want list.

2. Continue to resist the temptation to buy smaller pieces or pieces I don't really need - no buying for buying's sake.

3. My overriding goal will be, for a third second consecutive year, to ensure that any OA purchases are fully offset by OA sales. 

In fact, regarding #3 above, I've given a lot of thought to it and have concluded that I could probably do with shrinking the overall size of my collection (as measured by market value, not by # of pieces) by 20-25% over the next few years and still be very happy with my collection.*  

* I will probably be more receptive going forward to listening to strong offers on some pieces that I would not have entertained parting with in the past.

2018:  18 pieces have come into my collection, and 18 pieces have exited my collection so far this year!

Goals scorecard:

1.  Staying ultra-focused - yep, have done a good job with that.  Out of 18 pieces acquired this year, 13 hail from my very-specific 1983 to 1986 peak nostalgia period; 2 pieces are from the '70s and early '80s (still very much in my peak appreciation zone of roughly 1970 to 1986); and the last 3 are Modern pieces where I just love the creators' work. 

2.  Resisting temptation - yep, have done a great job with that.  I've purchased zero pieces at Heritage, ComicLink and ComicConnect this year (which probably won't change in the current cycle - sorry, guys).  Not that there hasn't been great stuff hitting the auction block this year, but, as I am interested only in very specific pieces, mostly from a fairly short window of time, there just hasn't been a lot of stuff in my wheelhouse of late.

3.  Offset purchases with sales - haven't quite managed that this year (yet) due to one big deal.  Though, I did sell a lot of art to help fund this purchase as well as the other 17 pieces I've acquired YTD.  My net spend, if the year were to end now, would still be my lowest ever after 2016 and 2017. 

Overall grade so far for my 2018 goals:  A-

Edited by delekkerste

1,732 posts
47 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

2018:  18 pieces have come into my collection, and 18 pieces have exited my collection so far this year!

Goals scorecard:

1.  Staying ultra-focused - yep, have done a good job with that.  Out of 18 pieces acquired this year, 13 hail from my very-specific 1983 to 1986 peak nostalgia period; 2 pieces are from the '70s and early '80s (still very much in my peak appreciation zone of roughly 1970 to 1986); and the last 3 are Modern pieces where I just love the creators' work. 

2.  Resisting temptation - yep, have done a great job with that.  I've purchased zero pieces at Heritage, ComicLink and ComicConnect this year (which probably won't change in the current cycle - sorry, guys).  Not that there hasn't been great stuff hitting the auction block this year, but, as I am interested only in very specific pieces, mostly from a fairly short window of time, there just hasn't been a lot of stuff in my wheelhouse of late.

3.  Offset purchases with sales - haven't quite managed that this year (yet) due to one big deal.  Though, I did sell a lot of art to help fund this purchase as well as the other 17 pieces I've acquired YTD.  My net spend, if the year were to end now, would still be my lowest ever after 2016 and 2017. 

Overall grade so far for my 2018 goals:  A-

Do you keep a ranking of art in your collection? Do you already know what art will go out the door as you consider art coming in?

12,797 posts

On schedule... but then again not really.

• Get a nice Mignola pre-2005 Hellboy page -check, in fact I got two. :cloud9:
  • Get a Kirby Dr Doom page.. -Had a punt when three of them came to market, but when you are up against a higher-up at a certain comic company, you know it's a lost cause :insane:
  • Sell! Sell! Sell! - Sold 10 pages this year, most I've ever sold in such a short period. :juggle:
  • Get my super secret page by Gene Day - 12 years+ and still looking. Roger used to have it but sold it a looooong time ago. :cry: But it's a low-key page and it will show up one day on eBay or something (or so I have been telling myself since 2005)

2,383 posts

My goals for 2017 are pretty much goals for 2018. Since I didn't reach any last year. Though this year looks better:

Harvey Kurtzman - Little Annie Fanny

Don Martin - Captain Klutz

Jack Kirby/Wally Wood - Sky Masters

D i c k Sprang - Batman

Joe Shuster - Superman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern oath page

Neal Adams - Batman/Deadman/Spectre

So far this year I have two  of the seven, Don Martin - Captain Klutz sketch I picked up at LA Ultimate Comic Con

The second I am currently paying off a D i c k Sprang - Batman #23 recereation. Still working on getting a Jack Kirby/Wally Wood - Sky Masters strip. 

24,903 posts
5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

2018 collecting goals?  That’s easy!

1.  Continue spending like a drunken sailor

2. Continue to expand my friendships and purchases from collectors abroad

3.  See 1, above

I like that answer lol

So much "focus" on this thread. :)   I'm sure it works for some but to me, collecting is more art than science and you can't always plan everything.  2c     I believe in staying nimble.   Like a ninja. 

EntireWigglyCatfish-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Bronty

24,903 posts

Sometimes those are the best years!    Just depends if you blew it in a smart way.   :wishluck:

12,428 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 4:58 PM, Bird said:

I have been fairly quiet this year, which is not a surprise after selling off so much in the prior few years in pursuit of The Fifty (which is still happening just much much more slowly). I bought some Mignolas (the fatal mistake and a few of those small inked pieces he favors) but am not sure if I bought anything by anyone else. (Wow, that is a bit of a stunner.) But I have the itch and it has been building for a while now; in fact I told the wife a week or three ago that I had the itch and that she should not be surprised if I get something but I have not seen anything that tickled my fancy yet.

So I hope for ONE OF the following, off the top of my head. (Ooh, I bought a BWS page this year, just recalled that one.)

• Bill Everett Dr Strange page
  • Moebius page
  • FM piece, possibly LW&C cover (and yes, I will talk to Mitch when the time comes) or an Elektra page
  • Alex Raymond inked piece with variety of line thickness throughout

My appreciation for both HG Peter and George Herriman has also grown considerably and will likely continue to grow. Stumbling into something like that or a nice Winsor McCay could also make my year.

I am still looking at those bullet-ed pieces but have not gotten lucky yet. Enough are coming to market though so I am still hopeful that it can happen. I pushed bidding on a McCay but backed down in the end as another editorial isn't my first approach. But I am heartened that I am back in the game a bit, if even tentatively. I bid on an Everett or two along the way as well but never seriously considered my bids would stand and they didn't. But I am game. My birthday is late in the year as well and sometimes I get myself a gift. I picked up a few more small Mignolas though when I saw him in April. In a thread on the boards recently I gave my time payment terms as an example and that got me thinking a time payment plan on something nice might be the way to go for me.