2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

155 posts in this topic

5,244 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 3:48 PM, Bill C said:

My 2018 Goals:

1) Get six (or more?) GOTG themed commissions from a specific artist I've been working with.

2) Get several other GOTG themed commissions from various other artists (these are all already in the pipeline).

3) Pick up several published pieces and a commission from a favorite 80's independent guy (also already in the pipeline).

4) Only buy published stuff that is personally key. Hopefully only several pieces at most (other than the ones already mentioned in goal #3).

5) Stay focused and spend little!

1) I believe I got 4 out of 6 of these commissions so far. I think I get on his nerves at times and my stuff gets pushed back a bit in the queue every now and then, heh.

2) I got five of them so far, three of which were by Valentino so that was a very unexpected surprise.

3) Yep, done. This was Jeff Nicholson- the published stuff was from Ultra Klutz (including the cover to the first appearance) and the commission was Speed (a spoof on the Flash, and what led me to his work).

4) Okay it looks like I went a little off the deep end here buying random pages from a favorite book.

5) For the most part, this has been on track.

I'm happy with how the year has shaped up art wise so far.

3,598 posts

I keep a list, but I doubt that I will obtain any of them; I see too many shiny objects. :)

Still, I do have a list and here it is:

• Swanderson Superman page
  • Curt Swan/George Klein Superman or LSH page
  • Joe Shuster Superman
  • Jack Kirby Thor or New Gods page
  • Marshall Rogers Detective (Batman) page from his wonderful run with Steve Englehart and Terry Austin
  • D**k Sprang Batman
  • Bill Everett Sub-Mariner page
  • Sheldon Mayer Scribbly page (if there are any)

I spend enough in the year to buy one of these, but, as I said, too many bright shiny objects. :)

7,682 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 4:36 PM, Mephisto said:

My goal is to get at least 2 painting from one artist and one painting from another...I was doing some what good with not over buying but fell apart in the last 3 months or so...

I honestly have no  idea what I was talking about. I think I got the 2 paintings from the artist and actually a 3rd as well. Not sure about the other one from a different artist, but I did get an email from an artist when I was out drinking for my birthday offering to sell me a piece I had asked about for YEARS. That should hopefully ship in the next week. 

I’ve significantly paired down my want list to about 7 pieces, hopefully I will be able to get them all at some point but if I can get 6 of 7 I’ll be pleased. 

At this point one more piece off the list of 7 this year would be nice...I did wind up buying a few other paintings that popped up along the way this year...

Edited by Mephisto

4,194 posts

I forgot what my goals for the year were. doh!

I think that's a safe bet that I wasn't able to keep with it or accomplish much.

2,209 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 7:36 PM, Pete Marino said:

Stay Focused, that's my goal.  Don't buy something just "because"

-add to my invsibiles stack of art.

-Get art from the series I really appreciate and get examples that are better than just ticking off boxes.

Well, goal 1 has been well met.  I think i've added close to 15 invisibles pages so far this year.

Goal 2, i've done pretty good at.  I think i've only bought 2 or 3 other pages, 1 is an RPG cover i've coveted, and a cool New X-Men page

Not bad with 7 full months complete.

1,732 posts
18 hours ago, Bronty said:

So much "focus" on this thread. :)   I'm sure it works for some but to me, collecting is more art than science and you can't always plan everything.  2c     I believe in staying nimble.   Like a ninja. 

This is a good point. I have a list every year (whether I write it down or not) for what I would like to acquire. As you build out your collection and your want list narrows, getting new art on your list becomes more difficult so I always have a percentage of my annual budget that is undefined - the random page that you didn't know you needed, commissions, con spending (Impulse). The percentage is low enough that it keeps these purchases on the lower side but I don't think I would ever want to remove a healthy dose of spontaneity for my collection. There are some years that the focused targets just don't show up (or show up at a reasonable price) which tends to up the number of undefined purchases. 

721 posts
On 12/24/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:
  1. Add another cover to my collection;
  2. Go with the flow;
  3. Dream big.

Resurrecting this thread for anyone interested in reviewing their goals so far. 

I have not purchased any published pages since November 2017. I spent as much in 2017 than I did in 2015 and 2016 combined and decided to pump the breaks, but found myself just stepping on them altogether. I’ve spent $120 on nonpublished pieces this year. 

I’m still looking to add another cover, just haven’t one I liked or within my budget. I’ve passed on many of smaller panel pages only one of which I regret letting go; otherwise it’s refreshing to detox from such an addictive hobby of compulsive purchases. 

Stepping on the breaks creates an interesting perspective in collecting. If I’m not adding to my collection I begin to reconsider what and why I bought what I already have and how much I should keep. Having completed 5 years in the hobby, I ask myself regarding the art that I’ve acquired, “Is this a piece I would buy today?” The answer might be no but I’ve pared down my modest collection over the years to fund bigger pieces and I’m finding it hard to let go of what I have, especially for something that is not grail level. Another thing, what I’ve become uncomfortable with is blowing my budget on a single piece I sort of like but buy anyway because the opportunity to buy another example may not come up again. Oh it will. 

I also moved to another state abruptly which stopped my fundraising altogether as I settle in my new life which has limited my buying power. It’d be great to add a cover by year’s end but I’m sticking to buying something I can’t live without for a price that I can live with. 

959 posts

Hmmm... I think my goal for 2018 was to spend like a drunken sailor, and I’m pleased to report that I’ve achieved my goal, thanks in large part to a very significant deal I made a few months ago.

technically, I’m still paying off the piece into the 1st month if 2019, but the majority of payment occurs in 2018 so I consider it a 2018 purchase 

I am still looking for the ASM 299 Splash, featuring the 1st appearance of Venom, and a nice McSpidey cover (ASM or adjectiveless) so I guess those will be my collecting goals for 2019.

601 posts
On 12/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

Most of my itch's were vigorously scratched in 2017, so coming into 2018 ready for a quiet year. After trimming down my collection's overall number of pieces, it seems much more satisfying. 

2018 is already in full swing, and will be picking up two full color Batman/Spectre commissions that are already in the works.

Have my eye on one big purchase that is going to require some "prying out" money. Should have kept that bitcoin a little longer...

Haha...a "quiet year" my ! 

Little did I know that this year would coincide with someone selling almost half of all Don Newton's Batman and Detective output, likely his friend that received the half from his estate. Its been a slow water torture of two or three pieces each week on eBay, and it hasn't stopped. On advice of several people, I stepped up and paid what needed to be paid on the issues that I loved, and I couldn't be happier. Also, took the opportunity to participate in the Walking Dead liquidation to get a couple choice Tony Moore pieces, which hasn't been an option with the super-hoover sucking up every piece for years. Rounding it out, I picked up two Mike Zeck pieces (a cover recreation from Ten Nights of the Beast and a pin-up from 'Tec #600), three pages from Bolland's Camelot 3000 including a tremendous splash, and a couple more early YTLM pages. Whew!

With new books, continued riding the Sean Murphy train and got a couple sweet pages from Batman: White Knight, some covers from Geoff Shaw on Thanos Wins and Cosmic Ghost Rider, a Terry Moore SiP-reboot cover, and more gorgeous Zach Howard pages from The Cape and Wild Blue Yonder.

A couple more Batman/Spectre commissions arrived, with two more on the way. Refined my directions to the artists, and it seems to be having the desired effect

I also consigned a whole stuffed portfolio of covers and pages, which will be spaced out over a year. 

959 posts
40 minutes ago, blizzardtonight said:

welcome to the club :-))

Why fight it?  We should all embrace irrational exuberance to its highest calling!

penny-wise frugality and fiscal responsibility are soooo last decade!

12,807 posts
On 12/21/2017 at 11:40 AM, batman_fan said:

I am not going to throw out any artwork I want given how hard it is to find something I love these days that I can afford. I would like to get some more stuff framed. 

Well I was able to find and frame one piece this year.   It was a very good year for me. 

4C05F148-39A2-4FBD-AF22-1E4F00A3BBC0.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

2,014 posts
On 12/28/2017 at 2:30 PM, zhamlau said:

Goals will be ranges (as always) and general guidelines

1. As always dont spend anything on art that isnt offset/paid for with OA sales.

2. Know when a piece is bought for value and when a piece is bought for personal, dont conflate the two.

3. Cut personal collection down to 10 pieces, if you wouldnt get it framed on your wall you have to be willing to part with it.

4. 80's marvel Iconic, dont be afraid to put the stake in the ground.

5. Acquire at least 2 more books off the "Top Ten Marvel Silverage Set".

6. At least one iconic elite level piece from  A. Kieth MCP  B. Sandman C. Star Wars Marvel D. Uncanny X-Men E. DKR  F. 80's Marvel Covers

Nearly year end summary:

1. On target

2. On Target with one exception but I fixed that

3. Will be on target by end of the the next Heritage Signature auction

4. Hit this one flush, got one of my top 5 favorite covers of the 80s framed on my wall now. Fell out of the sky for a fair price.

5. Failed this, I had to sell one of my books to fund a large purchase. Didn't pick up anything to offset. Might have to drop this goal, cant afford to collect everything (at least I cant afford it lol).

6. Hit this one Flush, sorta a crossover with 4 really just detailed out. MCP Kieth and Sandman woulda been out of 4 I guess but I didn't get either.

Still have 2 months to fix 5 and maybe 6, but also 2 months to fail 1 or 2.

Edited by zhamlau

1,414 posts
8 hours ago, blizzardtonight said:

welcome to the club :-))

And that's not counting the ones I wanted, but didn't buy when I could.

721 posts
9 hours ago, Oddball said:

Yup, failed again. Ended up with six covers. 

Modern? Or more of the vintage variety? 

116 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, Squeezy McSphincter said:

A few things I’d like to acquire in 2018 are:

• At least one page from Doom Patrol 51 (and other Morrison DP art, in general)
  • A Bisley cover
  • Something by Bolland—maybe an Animal Man cover.
  • TSR art!

I'm striking out here, but I'm okay with that. 

DP 51 - I haven't seen anything come up.

Bisley stuff is achieveable at any time.  There's a few "must haves" but I haven't seen any.

I'd still like a Bolland cover but I haven't seen the one that I'd really like.  There's a few that are pretty good out there, but not worth the money to me.

TSR art - ya right.

I have bought a few things and even made my first five-figure bid (five-figure Canadian, anyway).  I've unexpectedly put an offer on a house more expensive than I'd ever thought I'd own so we'll see what happens in 2019!

145 posts

I hit a few goals and missed a few-pretty much the same as usual. I did get a fine upgrade on pieces by Wrightson and Alex Raymond. I did take down two of the three pieces I had hoped to acquire by artists that are also  friends and are signature pieces (for me at least) that went straight out of their packages to the framer-and got another I didn't expect that will soon be headed to a framer as well. I failed a bit on holding off on impulse buys that don't really fit into my general collecting goals, but I didn't spend stupid money doing so. I sold and traded several pieces to pay for other things I bought and in retrospect only regret one sale because it didn't bring enough to justify letting it out of my collection. I am closing out the year with a small trade that is a good, well focused acquisition upgrading my Jack Davis collection and letting go  two things that are nice, but which will bring more joy to their new owner than to me over the long haul.  So generally a pretty good year on the collecting front.

5,244 posts

Been a little over 3 months since I updated my status on this thread- in that time I think I picked up two cool commissions, but that's it. Spending a minimum, which is the goal.

I have a couple more commissions in the pipeline that may come through before the end of the year, along with maybe 4-5 panel pages. Nothing crazy.

1,732 posts

2018 was a good year. 

Finally scored some Sal Buscema Defenders art which has been a big hole in the collection for quite a while. 

Still want to add a Kirby and some twice up SA Hulk. I am thinking that may be a 2019 focused search.