2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

156 posts in this topic

1,719 posts

2018 was a good year. 

Finally scored some Sal Buscema Defenders art which has been a big hole in the collection for quite a while. 

Still want to add a Kirby and some twice up SA Hulk. I am thinking that may be a 2019 focused search. 

2,180 posts
On 8/2/2018 at 11:13 AM, Pete Marino said:

Well, goal 1 has been well met.  I think i've added close to 15 invisibles pages so far this year.

Goal 2, i've done pretty good at.  I think i've only bought 2 or 3 other pages, 1 is an RPG cover i've coveted, and a cool New X-Men page

Not bad with 7 full months complete.

Another 8 invisibles pages, and some rifts art...  3 interiors and 1 more cover.  Not bad.

45 posts

The year 2018 was good !

I picked up finally a Neal Adams art page which has Batman,Deadman and Robin which I never thought I would and a Tales to Astonish December 1964 art page with the Ant Man.

I'd like to pick up a Captain America jack Kirby art page next year.

7,211 posts
On 12/21/2017 at 10:44 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

Not my normal annual collecting goals, in 2018 I hope to wrap up 24 commissions with a single artist.   They've been a LOOONG time in the making and 2018 should see them all completed. 

I just hope my taste is good enough that others will approve of my choice :roflmao:

The commissions are still coming in. Don't think I'll get them all before Dec 31st :$

As a consolation I picked up a PREACHER page :shy:

105 posts

I didn't have any specific 2018 goals, but I did achieve some long term goals this year:

• John Byrne Fantastic Four page - As much as I'd love an X-Men page, this was a much more attainable goal.
  • Jack Kirby Kamandi page - Picked this one up at the New York Art Expo back in May.  I had been on the lookout for a Kirby page within my budget that still had some classic Kirby feel, and this one fit the bill.  It even has some Kirby Krackle!
  • George Perez Infinity Gauntlet page - Was a little worried that I was going to get priced out of these before I found one, but I was able to pick one up this year.  Prices should start dropping any minute now I guess. :)  

Mike

26,702 posts
On 12/22/2017 at 2:53 PM, Pirate said:

Was very focused, didn't buy a single page in 2017.  Did buy one commission but haven't received it yet.  6 months overdue.

My main goals are to sell off stuff that doesn't interest me as much.

Buying Goals:

Starlin Dreadstar interior page featuring Willow.

Barry Kitson Judge Anderson Page

Barry Kitson Batgirl Special pages

Nope on Dreadstar

Nope on Judge Anderson Page

Sold my best Batgirl special page plus a bunch more art.

I went in reverse and happy I did.  OA is just too expensive these days.

Edited by Pirate

2,314 posts
On 8/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, Brian Peck said:

My goals for 2017 are pretty much goals for 2018. Since I didn't reach any last year. Though this year looks better:

Harvey Kurtzman - Little Annie Fanny

Don Martin - Captain Klutz

Jack Kirby/Wally Wood - Sky Masters

D i c k Sprang - Batman

Joe Shuster - Superman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern oath page

Neal Adams - Batman/Deadman/Spectre

This year I did pretty good got 3 out of 7.

Don Martin - Captain Klutz sketch I picked up at LA Ultimate Comic Con

D i c k Sprang - Batman #23 recreation

Last is Sky Masters by Jack Kirby and Wally Wood

Captain Klutz.jpg

Batman #23 cover recreation.jpg

Sky Masters Daily 3-27-59.jpg

12,431 posts
1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

This year I did pretty good got 3 out of 7.

Don Martin - Captain Klutz sketch I picked up at LA Ultimate Comic Con

D i c k Sprang - Batman #23 recreation

Last is Sky Masters by Jack Kirby and Wally Wood

Batman #23 cover recreation.jpg

This one is a truly spectacular piece !  (worship)

650 posts
On 12/24/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:
  1. Add another cover to my collection;
  2. Go with the flow;
  3. Dream big.

Picked up a Punisher cover last week, so check. 

1,028 posts
2 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Picked up a Punisher cover last week, so check. 

was that at hakes?

650 posts
41 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

was that at hakes?

Yep. While everyone’s attention was diverted at Heritage, and while the new crop of art popped up at CLink, I won the Cockrum Punisher cover. Of course it helps that Hake’s gets written off too. But it’s the only way a budget guy like me can get anything decent for a reasonable price. 

901 posts
1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yep. While everyone’s attention was diverted at Heritage, and while the new crop of art popped up at CLink, I won the Cockrum Punisher cover.

Congrats that was a superb deal; your Cockrum cover was one of the steals of that auction (thumbsu

Most of the other pieces I tracked on Hake's fetched solid prices though.

2,461 posts

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  My 2018 collecting goals were reoriented to pursue some opportunistic deals....acquired 21 pieces and sold/traded 14 (many to fellow boardies, thank you :hi:).  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I can summarize my year in these terms: 

Turkey (big purchases):  Steranko X-men ...my first Steranko ever! 

Stuffing (key upgrades):  Wrightson Swampy, Miller DD and Starlin DoCM pages... Tough letting go beloved pages but for these titles I can only afford one example 

Gravy (over-the-top surprise):  Neal Adams Batman 232 Ra’s al Ghul page...a gift from the OA gods. :cloud9:

Sweet Corn (Feel-good purchase):  McSpidey page...along with Liefeld NM, Transformers DPS and two Valiant covers, I’m really digging the 90s! 

Sour Cherries (big regret):  Regret whiffing on Byrne FF page :(

Mashed Potatoes (big sale):  Sold my Miller DKR page (to a very compelling offer), soon converted to a special Bolland Bats piece. 

Wishbone (still searching):  Still waiting to find a primo Jim Lee Wolverine piece, anyone? :wishluck:

Take care!

12,431 posts
24 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  My 2018 collecting goals were reoriented to pursue some opportunistic deals....acquired 21 pieces and sold/traded 14 (many to fellow boardies, thank you :hi:).  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I can summarize my year in these terms: 

Stuffing (key upgrades):  Wrightson Swampy, Miller DD and Starlin DoCM pages... Tough letting go beloved pages but for these titles I can only afford one example 

Gravy (over-the-top surprise):  Neal Adams Batman 232 Ra’s al Ghul page...a gift from the OA gods. :cloud9:

Sweet Corn (Feel-good purchase):  McSpidey page...along with Liefeld NM, Transformers DPS and two Valiant covers, I’m really digging the 90s! 

Mashed Potatoes (big sale):  Sold my Miller DKR page (to a very compelling offer), soon converted to a special Bolland Bats piece. 

Wishbone (still searching):  Still waiting to find a primo Jim Lee Wolverine piece, anyone? :wishluck:

Take care!

Wow, talk about having an amazing year !

461 posts
3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Take care!

No room for dessert?

Pumpkin Pie (Last minute splurge) Great Land cover up on the bay auction...I'm tapped out for the year :(

lslkfjjh ewsf jew j.jpg

Updated....just saw this on E bay as well. Does he copy his own work for fan sketches as well? :facepalm:sfsggsseg.thumb.jpg.3f4f2d8a480b9f776d0ba167edbb9d34.jpg

Edited by Blastaar

2,461 posts
1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

No room for dessert?

Pumpkin Pie (Last minute splurge) Great Land cover up on the bay auction...I'm tapped out for the year :(

lslkfjjh ewsf jew j.jpg

Updated....just saw this on E bay as well. Does he copy his own work for fan sketches as well? :facepalm:

Delicious...yours is the best piece of that pie! (thumbsu

461 posts
2 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Delicious...yours is the best piece of that pie! (thumbsu

I was suggesting that for you...I have to take a breather untill after the first. 😀

360 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 4:11 PM, Andahaion said:

I acquired three pages in my first year of this OA hobby, therefore I will submit three goals to the record for next year:

1) Acquire a wicked awesome Silver Surfer page/cover/splash/etc.

2) Acquire a page/cover/splash/etc from a favorite childhood story arc, which I'll say runs from the late 80s until my high school graduation in '97.  Stuff like Lethal Protector, Maximum Carnage (I know, ick, but I loved it as a kid), Infinity anything (especially heavily featuring Warlock), etc.

3) Buy a page from Felix Comic Art.

Audible: If the defense is going to play man with a single safety over the top, then we're going down to Chinatown on a Kirby page.  The verbal at the line will be "Krackle".

Eh.  Not a fan of what I wrote here, save for #3.  About the only purchase I made in 2018 that might qualify as fulfilling a goal would be a purchase from a favorite arc from my 20s (instead of a fave arc in high school as listed); Batman RIP.  My understanding/appreciation for OA has grown a lot, even without making many purchases, so I wouldn't necessarily carry over these goals for 2019 (again, save for #3). 

I really would like a Jim Lee/Williams showpiece...and a good Kirby example...for starters.

22,949 posts
On 8/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, delekkerste said:

2018:  18 pieces have come into my collection, and 18 pieces have exited my collection so far this year!

Goals scorecard:

1.  Staying ultra-focused - yep, have done a good job with that.  Out of 18 pieces acquired this year, 13 hail from my very-specific 1983 to 1986 peak nostalgia period; 2 pieces are from the '70s and early '80s (still very much in my peak appreciation zone of roughly 1970 to 1986); and the last 3 are Modern pieces where I just love the creators' work. 

2.  Resisting temptation - yep, have done a great job with that.  I've purchased zero pieces at Heritage, ComicLink and ComicConnect this year (which probably won't change in the current cycle - sorry, guys).  Not that there hasn't been great stuff hitting the auction block this year, but, as I am interested only in very specific pieces, mostly from a fairly short window of time, there just hasn't been a lot of stuff in my wheelhouse of late.

3.  Offset purchases with sales - haven't quite managed that this year (yet) due to one big deal.  Though, I did sell a lot of art to help fund this purchase as well as the other 17 pieces I've acquired YTD.  My net spend, if the year were to end now, would still be my lowest ever after 2016 and 2017. 

Overall grade so far for my 2018 goals:  A-

Updated grade for my 2018 goals:  A   :banana: 

1.  I have finally achieved OA enlightenment - true focus!!  Whereas I was allowing leeway for a cheap, fun piece here or there...nope, that phase too has ended, and, as of the end of summer, I now only pursue true must-have stuff these days.  I haven't bought anything in the last 7 Heritage auctions; I'm not content to just pursue whatever happens to show up at auction just because it's cool. It's gotta be the exact stuff I really want! Most things I can live without at this point in my collecting career.  

2.  See #1 above.  #temptationresisted

3.  After this latest round of sales, I'm so far in the black for 2018 that I've also wiped out the net spend for the last two years as well!  Granted, there wasn't much to wipe out given that I sold slightly more than I bought in 2016 and I was only slightly off in balancing the books in 2017.  But, it still feels great to have succeeded in not putting a dime of net new money into the hobby since 2015!!  :cloud9:   

That's not to say that it's been one-way traffic out of my collection by any stretch this year.  It's been 25 pieces incoming, 48 pieces outgoing (a couple of complete short stories inflated that total; counting those as 1 piece each, it's only been 27 pieces outgoing).  Definitely going for very particular quality over quantity these days.  

650 posts
12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Updated grade for my 2018 goals:  A   :banana: 

1.  I have finally achieved OA enlightenment - true focus!!  Whereas I was allowing leeway for a cheap, fun piece here or there...nope, that phase too has ended, and, as of the end of summer, I now only pursue true must-have stuff these days.  I haven't bought anything in the last 7 Heritage auctions; I'm not content to just pursue whatever happens to show up at auction just because it's cool. It's gotta be the exact stuff I really want! Most things I can live without at this point in my collecting career.  

2.  See #1 above.  #temptationresisted

3.  After this latest round of sales, I'm so far in the black for 2018 that I've also wiped out the net spend for the last two years as well!  Granted, there wasn't much to wipe out given that I sold slightly more than I bought in 2016 and I was only slightly off in balancing the books in 2017.  But, it still feels great to have succeeded in not putting a dime of net new money into the hobby since 2015!!  :cloud9:   

That's not to say that it's been one-way traffic out of my collection by any stretch this year.  It's been 25 pieces incoming, 48 pieces outgoing (a couple of complete short stories inflated that total; counting those as 1 piece each, it's only been 27 pieces outgoing).  Definitely going for very particular quality over quantity these days.  

I admire your razor-sharp discipline. As I mentioned previously, I didn't make any purchases of published art from November of 2017 to November of 2018. To me, that was discipline. In a perfect OA collecting world, I would only buy from what was on my "true must-have stuff" too; but I find that nearly impossible and too idealistic. I have found many personal grails on CAF, one is in David Mandel's collection for example. I just don't have the budget to pry those loose from those type of collections (Well, I only spend on OA from what I can raise from my other collectibles; I don't spend any of my "real" money). If I wait and wait for those ultra grails to pop up, then I might as well stop collecting. I mean what's the point of checking out auctions without purchasing for years on end (for me, that is)? Maybe I'm too much of a defeatist here. I guess I'm wondering how you, Gene, will negotiate your OA Collector identity if those must-haves never show up? Would you still consider yourself a collector? But as you say, priorities change with age and the OA hobby takes a back seat, or takes its place in the hidden compartment where you keep your spare tire. After 10+ years of collecting, I'm sure your hunger is satiated.