2018 Collecting Goals
1 1

156 posts in this topic

22,737 posts
On 11/26/2018 at 10:03 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

I guess I'm wondering how you, Gene, will negotiate your OA Collector identity if those must-haves never show up? Would you still consider yourself a collector? But as you say, priorities change with age and the OA hobby takes a back seat, or takes its place in the hidden compartment where you keep your spare tire. After 10+ years of collecting, I'm sure your hunger is satiated.

The late, great Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna once chastised another F1 legend, Jackie Stewart, for criticizing his aggressive (re: unsafe) driving style.  He told Stewart that, as a racing driver, if you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver.  I guess by that definition, a collector who is no longer actively buying on a regular or semi-regular basis might not consider himself to be a collector any longer.  

Me, I see it differently.  I can still be a collector and not look to fill every gap that exists in my collection, just the very specific ones that I've decided still matter to me.  I think I will no longer consider myself to be a collector if there ever comes a day when people are able to get me to part with the pieces that mean the very most to me for anything other than life-altering money.

3,761 posts
19 minutes ago, artdealer said:

I obtained my Holy Grail this year.

It brings me much joy. 

Mitch I. 

E22AF50A-A68B-41B8-991A-2FBCB410B894.jpeg

Mitch, you bring me joy with this story (and that you even shared it). I hope you won't take this the wrong way but (here's where I step in it!) the impression I've gotten from you over many, many years of occasional e-mail conversations years ago and your public posts here and other places online was that of a rather stern, negative, jaded fellow (all justifiably so, I'm sure) at least when it comes to comic art, working with artists, and "the business" of it all. Maybe I really got that all wrong, but no matter what, I'm so happy to see you so happy :):):):):) yours is the one "art day" or "got my grail" post I never thought I'd see. Thank you.

5,196 posts
40 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Couple months later I have the original. I got emotional when I opened the package and holding it almost 40 years after I sold it. 

It brings me much joy. 

Mitch I. 

Congrats on (re)obtaining the piece!

207 posts
On 11/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, delekkerste said:

Updated grade for my 2018 goals:  A   :banana: 

1.  I have finally achieved OA enlightenment - true focus!!  Whereas I was allowing leeway for a cheap, fun piece here or there...nope, that phase too has ended, and, as of the end of summer, I now only pursue true must-have stuff these days.  I haven't bought anything in the last 7 Heritage auctions; I'm not content to just pursue whatever happens to show up at auction just because it's cool. It's gotta be the exact stuff I really want! Most things I can live without at this point in my collecting career.  

2.  See #1 above.  #temptationresisted

3.  After this latest round of sales, I'm so far in the black for 2018 that I've also wiped out the net spend for the last two years as well!  Granted, there wasn't much to wipe out given that I sold slightly more than I bought in 2016 and I was only slightly off in balancing the books in 2017.  But, it still feels great to have succeeded in not putting a dime of net new money into the hobby since 2015!!  :cloud9:   

That's not to say that it's been one-way traffic out of my collection by any stretch this year.  It's been 25 pieces incoming, 48 pieces outgoing (a couple of complete short stories inflated that total; counting those as 1 piece each, it's only been 27 pieces outgoing).  Definitely going for very particular quality over quantity these days.  

You are an inspiration to me!

1,098 posts
6 hours ago, vodou said:

Mitch, you bring me joy with this story (and that you even shared it). I hope you won't take this the wrong way but (here's where I step in it!) the impression I've gotten from you over many, many years of occasional e-mail conversations years ago and your public posts here and other places online was that of a rather stern, negative, jaded fellow (all justifiably so, I'm sure) at least when it comes to comic art, working with artists, and "the business" of it all. Maybe I really got that all wrong, but no matter what, I'm so happy to see you so happy :):):):):) yours is the one "art day" or "got my grail" post I never thought I'd see. Thank you.

Thank you.

1,098 posts
5 hours ago, Bill C said:

Congrats on (re)obtaining the piece!

Thank you.

272 posts
8 hours ago, artdealer said:

Mort Meskin Vigilante presentation art, circa early 1941.

:

It brings me much joy. 

Mitch I. 

I'm sure you've helped a lot of people obtain their grails, I'm happy you've obtained yours !!!

1,098 posts
6 minutes ago, Will_K said:

I'm sure you've helped a lot of people obtain their grails, I'm happy you've obtained yours !!!

6 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Thanks, Will!

5,196 posts
On 12/19/2017 at 3:48 PM, Bill C said:

My 2018 Goals:

1) Get six (or more?) GOTG themed commissions from a specific artist I've been working with.

2) Get several other GOTG themed commissions from various other artists (these are all already in the pipeline).

3) Pick up several published pieces and a commission from a favorite 80's independent guy (also already in the pipeline).

4) Only buy published stuff that is personally key. Hopefully only several pieces at most (other than the ones already mentioned in goal #3).

5) Stay focused and spend little!

Now that it's all said and done:

1) I think I only got 4 of them, but most were very key commissions I've been planning for years so am excited to have them.

2) Actually got a few GOTG commissions from Valentino which was an unexpected surprise. It's only been a year, but I'm not sure what the other stated planned commissions were (!). I saw in August I said I got a couple of them but I have no idea what I'm talking about. I must be getting old. My planned commissions are very specific so I'm surprised I don't remember.

3) Got all these Jeff Nicholson pieces- published and commission.

4 and 5) I went a little off the deep end here, buying a number of pages from a favorite book, although not "must have" pages. Certainly didn't break the bank going after them though.

On to 2019!

2,291 posts
On 12/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, artdealer said:

Backstory: I bought this originally from George Roussos back in 1977. 

Meskin gave this to Mort back in the 1940s and he offered it to me at the Phil Seuling July Con. Couldn’t pass this up. 

Then, in 1979, I sold it to Ethan Roberts and it was in his collection till after he passed. 

I called Judith (Ethan’s widow) to convey my condolences and then mentioned if she had the art and wanted to sell the Vigilante in the future to let me know. 

I put it out of my mind but months later Judith contacted me and asked if I was still interested and what the story was behind the Vigilante. I told Judith the story and she was touched, told me to make an offer, which I did. 

Couple months later I have the original. I got emotional when I opened the package and holding it almost 40 years after I sold it. 

It brings me much joy. 

Mitch I. 

Fantastic! Great to hear you have it back after so many years. Its custodian once again!

151 posts
Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2018 at 12:37 PM, williamhlawson said:

This thread crossed my mind as my 7th Bianchi page of the year arrived yesterday, staying on goal of 1/month.  I've never actually achieved a goal so this is sorta unique, LOL.  Just wondering how everyone else is doing on their initial plans/goals and if they had changed.  

Did it. 12 interior pages in 12 months from Simone Bianchi in 2018 (with 2 enroute).  And only 2 months till a Masterpiece joins the crew.  Essentially a one-artist year, but it's no Vigilante imho.  

Edited by williamhlawson
mental weakness

151 posts
On 12/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, artdealer said:

Backstory: I bought this originally from George Roussos back in 1977. 

Meskin gave this to Mort back in the 1940s and he offered it to me at the Phil Seuling July Con. Couldn’t pass this up. 

Then, in 1979, I sold it to Ethan Roberts and it was in his collection till after he passed. 

I called Judith (Ethan’s widow) to convey my condolences and then mentioned if she had the art and wanted to sell the Vigilante in the future to let me know. 

I put it out of my mind but months later Judith contacted me and asked if I was still interested and what the story was behind the Vigilante. I told Judith the story and she was touched, told me to make an offer, which I did. 

It brings me much joy. 

Mitch I. 

Congratulations Mitch, while I haven't purchased from you in 15 or so years, you've always been a class-act and I'm glad you get the same giddy feelings we all do when IT arrives.

9,104 posts
On 12/24/2017 at 10:09 PM, Timely said:

Due to a few recent sales, I was able to buy a NICE Ditko piece. My goal is to have it paid off by May. :wishluck:

Not only did I have it paid off in May, but I was able to buy a few more.

I now have a monster-sized Ditko piece to pay off in 2019.  Should be an interesting year!

1,098 posts
3 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

Congratulations Mitch, while I haven't purchased from you in 15 or so years, you've always been a class-act and I'm glad you get the same giddy feelings we all do when IT arrives.

Thank you William!