• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached cover question

15 posts in this topic

It may be that CGC is in one of their "minimalist" modes again, where little additional information is on the actual slab. If it's a Universal 4.0, had the cover NOT been detached, it's likely the grade would have been higher. If it's a CGC labeling error, i.e if it were supposed to have been a green (qualified) label 4.0, you did very well.

If you choose to sell, and the buyer is not aware of the detached cover, there may be a problem. If you choose to sell, I'd hope you would disclose the detached cover. But that's up to you.

Congratulations on what sounds to be a very nice book.

On 12/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, comicparadox said:

If you choose to sell, and the buyer is not aware of the detached cover, there may be a problem. If you choose to sell, I'd hope you would disclose the detached cover. But that's up to you.

Congratulations on what sounds to be a very nice book.

For me for sure. Doesn’t matter if it’s a $10, $100 or $1,000 book. If I bought it as blue label with no notation or disclosure regarding a detached cover, I’d go through the roof.

5 hours ago, Bluespeyer said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I have no intention of selling; it's a book I've always wanted in decent displayable condition and am thrilled to finally own it. :)

I didn't think a book with a detached cover can grade as high as 4.0 . Usually they are in the 2.5 and below range. A few possibilities here, the label is wrong, maybe it should have been a green Qualified ? The grade is wrong, like somebody was thinking 4.0 Qualified or Blue 2.0 and made a typo ? OR, hopefully this is the correct answer, the notes are wrong or misleading. Perhaps the cover was not fully detached, maybe only at one staple ? In any case, something is wrong. If the cover is detached they should have put in on the label, this combined with the very high grade indicates something is amiss. Your call but the right thing to do is contact CGC and find out the facts. As it stands, Universal 4.0, with notes that say detached cover, should not be in the marketplace. I know you intend on keeping it but things change. I would be livid if I bought a book like this.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:55 AM, comicparadox said:

If it's a Universal 4.0, had the cover NOT been detached, it's likely the grade would have been higher. If it's a CGC labeling error, i.e if it were supposed to have been a green (qualified) label 4.0, you did very well.

Something is wrong. Detached covers do not get a Universal Grade of 4.0 . See my reply to the OP but a mistake was made and CGC should be contacted.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Something is wrong. Detached covers do not get a Universal Grade of 4.0 . See my reply to the OP but a mistake was made and CGC should be contacted.

I have a universal 4.0 golden age Cap 20 with a detached cover. However, the detached cover is noted on the label. I bought it from a Boardie but I don’t remember who.

The book actually presents really well, so I’m sure it was downgraded for the detached cover. Again, grading standards seem somewhat fluid, my book was graded at least 6 to 8 years ago.

I agree that if the detached  cover is not noted, the owner should be very careful to disclose if ever the book goes to the marketplace.

22 minutes ago, comicparadox said:

I have a universal 4.0 golden age Cap 20 with a detached cover. However, the detached cover is noted on the label. I bought it from a Boardie but I don’t remember who.

The book actually presents really well, so I’m sure it was downgraded for the detached cover. Again, grading standards seem somewhat fluid, my book was graded at least 6 to 8 years ago.

I agree that if the detached  cover is not noted, the owner should be very careful to disclose if ever the book goes to the marketplace.

Interesting. Personally, I never saw a book graded that high with a detached cover but obviously I am wrong. Thanks for the info !

It's a scary thought if CGC is no longer noting detached cover on the label. This means we have to buy the notes for everything ?!? Perhaps we should inquire in the ASK CGC thread. 

Edit: I just posted this in the ASK CGC thread. Let's see if they answer. I hope it was a simple oversight.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

I read the grader's notes again. Says "detached front cover" ... which I now assume means the back cover is still attached, which I guess means the entire cover isn't off and therefore considered only partially detached? Is that possible?

4 hours ago, Bluespeyer said:

I read the grader's notes again. Says "detached front cover" ... which I now assume means the back cover is still attached, which I guess means the entire cover isn't off and therefore considered only partially detached? Is that possible?

Yes, that is a BIG difference and probably explains everything else that happened, high grade, not on label, etc. I'm glad you clarified it. However, believing what you originally said, I personally made a fool of myself by contacting CGC with this. :pullhair: 

@CGC it's a big never mind, sorry !

Totally my fault. When I saw 'detached front cover' in the notes I just foolishly assumed it meant the cover was detached. I never had a graded book come back with any kind of attachment issues before, so wasn't aware of the distinction. Now I know. Thanks for clearing it up!

1 hour ago, Bluespeyer said:

Totally my fault. When I saw 'detached front cover' in the notes I just foolishly assumed it meant the cover was detached. I never had a graded book come back with any kind of attachment issues before, so wasn't aware of the distinction. Now I know. Thanks for clearing it up!

BTW, the same type of situation can occur with staples. Detached @ Front cover but attached to Back cover. Normally a detached staple gets a Green Qualified Label but if it is still attached to the Back cover, it will be a Blue Universal, with a hit to the grade.  

A quick check with google images comes up with a number of CGC 4.0s with a cover detached notation on the label, including a Superman #1. Of course they all look much nicer otherwise.  I found one 4.5

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2018feb%23Item_1229931&id=1229931&itemType=0