• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Aquisition - Jack Kirby Thor

32 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Hello all!

This year has been a bummer as I have been selling a lot of art this year (not by choice) and was sad to see some pieces go. So being able to add this Jack Kirby - Bill Everett Thor piece is a great joy.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1442647

RickyB

Amazing!

How come some of you guys don't post the art here on the boards?

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

Amazing!

How come some of you guys don't post the art here on the boards?

Do you mean the image of art directly on the boards vs a link to caf?

If that is what you are asking I personally like driving people to my CAF gallery. They can always check out the few other pieces I have if interested! :)

19 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Hello all!

This year has been a bummer as I have been selling a lot of art this year (not by choice) and was sad to see some pieces go. So being able to add this Jack Kirby - Bill Everett Thor piece is a great joy.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1442647

RickyB

Always been a bit ambivalent about Everett over Kirby, but I'm not ambivalent about this page--it seriously rocks.

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Because this site is backwards and makes it difficult. Won't even let me copy and paste a write up. Won't clear out old pics I don't want to upload to a new post. Just not worth the time.

Strange. Since the new boards I find it super easy to add an image.

While I am happy if folks go to the caf page - I always try and post the image here and appreciate when others do too.

Btw - love the thor page.  One day I hope to add a kirby thor page to my collection. Hopefully it will be as nice as what you got @RICKYBOBBY.

Edited by Panelfan1

2 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Really? I always thought it worked really well all the time.  Do you recall any examples where you went "meh"

I do not have examples on hand.  Generally, it seemed like Everett tried to take a bit more of an illustrative approach, adding more textures and details/hatching that weren't part of the essential raw Kirby power.  Also, stuff is a bit more angular with Everetts' inks on Kirby than I prefer.  Don't get me wrong, it's all very polished and it's easy for me to see why people like this pairing (as do I on this page in question).  Some people really like Syd Shores inks on Kirby and I can't stand it as it's too feathered and soft.  I sold my Captain America 108 cover years ago because of this (you're welcome Glen Gold!).  Having said that,  I admit that I really like Wood on Kirby from Skymasters, even though it's likewise very heavy handed and softens up Kirbys' power pencils a great deal.  In the end, it's all just personal preference.  And to repeat, this particular Kirby/Everett page is a home run!

Scott

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I do not have examples on hand.  Generally, it seemed like Everett tried to take a bit more of an illustrative approach, adding more textures and details/hatching that weren't part of the essential raw Kirby power.  Also, stuff is a bit more angular with Everetts' inks on Kirby than I prefer.  Don't get me wrong, it's all very polished and it's easy for me to see why people like this pairing (as do I on this page in question).  Some people really like Syd Shores inks on Kirby and I can't stand it as it's too feathered and soft.  I sold my Captain America 108 cover years ago because of this (you're welcome Glen Gold!).  Having said that,  I admit that I really like Wood on Kirby from Skymasters, even though it's likewise very heavy handed and softens up Kirbys' power pencils a great deal.  In the end, it's all just personal preference.  And to repeat, this particular Kirby/Everett page is a home run!

Scott

I have to agree. Everett struggled with alcoholism so a lot of the time he was hastily going through the inking to meet deadlines. Especially when drawing over Kirbys layouts on TTA - the art just didn't stand out. But for whatever reason on their short stint on Thor 168-175 they created some brilliant looking art. Not sure if they worked more closely together during this time but whatever they were doing - it was honestly brilliant. Almost every page of Thor 171 is a masterpiece.