• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Aquisition - Jack Kirby Thor

32 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2017 at 7:35 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Hello all!

This year has been a bummer as I have been selling a lot of art this year (not by choice) and was sad to see some pieces go. So being able to add this Jack Kirby - Bill Everett Thor piece is a great joy.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1442647

RickyB

I almost bought this piece! It was well bought based on how much it was listed at. Great score!

19 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I have to agree. Everett struggled with alcoholism so a lot of the time he was hastily going through the inking to meet deadlines. Especially when drawing over Kirbys layouts on TTA - the art just didn't stand out. But for whatever reason on their short stint on Thor 168-175 they created some brilliant looking art. Not sure if they worked more closely together during this time but whatever they were doing - it was honestly brilliant. Almost every page of Thor 171 is a masterpiece.

Bill had sobered up by the time he was on his last run of Sub-mariner .....regularly attending AA and doing great art..... a shame he went out so young.... he was only in his mid 50's. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2017-12-24 at 11:30 AM, Bill C said:

Look under the unsorted, miscellaneous tab for the next big auction. It's not listed properly yet.

Thanks Bill .. I was able to find that! A page from Thor 175 from what it looks like.

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

On 12/28/2017 at 5:41 PM, RICKYBOBBY said:

Thanks Bill .. I was able to find that! A page from Thor 175 from what it looks like.

Your page is magnificent. K I R B Y is the greatest, the absolute King of comics. Bill Everett on Namor and DD produced art too good for comics. When these 2 worked together on your page some sort of miracle took place. Thanks for sharing.

9 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

That last panel is so impressive (not to diminish the greatness of the other panels). What a terrific artistic pairing Kirby/Everett!

Second panel too. pop art at its finest.  Everett and Kirby were both masters of their craft.