• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If, God forbid you were to die today.....
3 3

51 posts in this topic

... would your family have ANY idea what's what with your collection?

Have you left any instructions of what to do with the collection if they just want to liquidate?

Many of us (including me) have some serious bucks in our collection.  I have the pricey books at the bank.  I made some notes (values) on all the books at the bank and have placed the notes in the box there.  But at the house....  even though I have some nice books at home, I haven't kept any notes on them.  Maybe my resolution for the New Year will be to create a collection plan for the family, "just in case".

I'm hoping to use my collection as part of retirement money, but things happen...

What have some of you done?

Edited by gadzukes

I am not very organized.  I suggested a group of boardies that are located geographically close to each other form groups to assist each other's spouses in the liquidation of collections when things happen.  My thoughts were stimulated when my dad was killed in a case a vehicular manslaughter.  Hard to plan for that.

But..., that idea got totally shot down.  I was basically told to get my lazy-@zz chit together, and quit asking others to help me out. :sorry:

I didn't quite get it, as I'm more than willing to help others out. (shrug)

I'm sure one of the board computer whizzes could resurrect that thread and my shame. :blush:

A year into retirement and I'm still in the same poor organizational shape.

The one thing I have in my favor is that due to good genes, I will basically have to be killed to leave this earth.  Early death from natural causes is highly unlikely.  So I will probably have quite a few more years to get my chit together.

No one knows anything I have or anything about it. If I croak keep an eye out on ebay, someone in my family will probably be selling all kinds of comics and records and toys and other good expensive stuff for super cheap and you might get a deal because they are clueless lol

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I am not very organized.  I suggested a group of boardies that are located geographically close to each other form groups to assist each other's spouses in the liquidation of collections when things happen.  My thoughts were stimulated when my dad was killed in a case a vehicular manslaughter.  Hard to plan for that.

But..., that idea got totally shot down.  I was basically told to get my lazy-@zz chit together, and quit asking others to help me out. :sorry:

I didn't quite get it, as I'm more than willing to help others out. (shrug)

I'm sure one of the board computer whizzes could resurrect that thread and my shame. :blush:

A year into retirement and I'm still in the same poor organizational shape.

The one thing I have in my favor is that due to good genes, I will basically have to be killed to leave this earth.  Early death from natural causes is highly unlikely.  So I will probably have quite a few more years to get my chit together.

Lizards cannot be killed. You will go on and on, in wonderful disarray. Revel in your time. :cloud9:

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I suggested a group of boardies that are located geographically close to each other form groups to assist each other's spouses in the liquidation of collections when things happen. 

Not a bad idea...

Of course it could lead to board members plotting each other's deaths lol

I just posted about this subject two days ago in another thread.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:18 AM, Silver said:

Guess I don’t understand the “don’t want to leave someone 30 boxes” problem. I don’t think of my collection as a problem for whoever gets it. They can do whatever they want with it, call a dealer, and bam...that problem is done, if they see it that way. I think my family knows what the collection has meant to me. I just don’t feel the need to consolidate and liquidate so my heirs can just inherit numbers in a bank account. Just my 2c

Same with me, I agree 100%!!!

You do not stop living and doing what you enjoy because you are getting older and you may/will one day die.

Now if (God Forbid) I was diagnosed with a terminal illness then I would get with my family and help them liquidate my belongings while I was still here and able to help.

Other than that NOBODY knows when their time is up.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:08 AM, thehumantorch said:

It can be a problem for a family if the collector hasn't done any 'comic estate' planning.  What are they worth, how should they sell the collection, If choosing a dealer is he paying a reasonable amount or is he ripping them off?  

I can appreciate that you love your collection and it means a lot to you at all ages of your life but it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them the names of a couple dealers or auction houses you trust and a list of the better books and their values, just in case.

All done three years ago!!!

Sometimes OCD is a Good Thing.

I have left written detailed instructions/suggestions as far as the handling/grading/selling of my comic books along with where all reference material is located on my computer and in my apartment.

I graded and recorded the grades of all books (3600) with grader notes and all books were photographed and both the graded list and photograph's have been saved to my computer and two separate flashdrives.

I check eBay completed purchases every 4 month's.

I keep records of eBay completed purchases for the "key" books in my collection that are in the same grade as mine so there is a written record of what these books are currently selling for and the average price of what they have been selling for, I have been doing this for three years.

Who gets what is laid out in my will and besides myself three others have a sealed copy.

Edited by marvelmaniac

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So far

I financed my both my kids college education with the sales of my comics over the last 20 years.
I put the money in a couple of mutual funds and watched it grow each year.

Paid for braces on both kids and have a wedding fund for my daughter

In short I took my hobby I have loved for 35+ years and it put it to work for me for the last 20 years
so I can retire knowing I took care of my kids and gave them one of the best presents I could give them.

To leave college with no debt.

If you haven't started liquidating do it now while the market is at the high end.

Thanks for sharing that.  Great post!

11 hours ago, gadzukes said:

... would your family have ANY idea what's what with your collection?

Having sold a significant chunk of the collection already in recent years, yes my wife could arrange for the remaining slabs to sell on consignment, and the longboxes of my original bronze/copper collection to sell to a friend and dealer/collector who's already begun buying them up.  But years ago, this wouldn't have been the case, and it was one of the reasons for starting to sell when the collection reached the point of having meaningful monetary value.

59 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
1 hour ago, faster friends said:

I have so much life insurance my comics would be the least of their concerns.

I'm worth more dead than alive.

Since I retired, the insurance pay-off went way, way down.  I'm not worth killing anymore.

5 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I suggested a group of boardies that are located geographically close to each other form groups to assist each other's spouses in the liquidation of collections when things happen. 

Not a bad idea...

Of course it could lead to board members plotting each other's deaths lol

No - that's why you need four or five guys in a group - checks and balances to keep away from that kind of stuff, or liquidating too cheaply to one or two people.  There would have to be a consensus on what is best for the surviving spouse.

24 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

its-a-wonderful-life-jimmy-stewart.jpg.ca567fc451242275c445a11f341c6644.jpg

Don't do it. It's a wonderful life!

love the new avatar - not sure it is better than your old one, though. :baiting: