• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If, God forbid you were to die today.....
3 3

51 posts in this topic

I have told my wife several times that after I die she should have a garage sale and price them all at $1 each. Pass along the fun I have experienced buying ridiculously cheap comics in the wild! The life insurance is more than enough that she won't have to worry about liquidating a bunch of comics.

I'm a firm believer that if more than say 5% of your net worth is tied up in collectibles, you're doing it wrong. But to each his own. 

31 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

On my bigger items, I put price stickers on the back of them.

FMV or WAG??

19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So far

I financed my both my kids college education with the sales of my comics over the last 20 years.
I put the money in a couple of mutual funds and watched it grow each year.

Paid for braces on both kids and have a wedding fund for my daughter

In short I took my hobby I have loved for 35+ years and it put it to work for me for the last 20 years
so I can retire knowing I took care of my kids and gave them one of the best presents I could give them.

To leave college with no debt.

If you haven't started liquidating do it now while the market is at the high end.

Almost the same for me except with Vintage Star Wars toys (should have held for 5 more years and could have put two kids through). My son just graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree and I told him starting out with no debt is ahead of most people.

I have a running inventory of all my "liquid" books on a spreadsheet that my wife has.  Spoke with CLink.  In the event something happens to me, they're willing to drive down and pick up my entire collection for auction (they're only 2 hours away).  

Have all my other stuff inventoried in the same way (i.e. sports cards, firearms, etc..).  Anything she doesn't want to keep, goes into consignment with a dealer I've specified.  

11 hours ago, shadroch said:

My will states that the Hero Initiative gets all my comic related items. I spoke to Steve B about it years ago.

Image result for wake up and clap gif

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Good shout. Always put your needs first Buzz.

I don't think you understand... At that point I have no needs.

I'm dead. 

Buzz (always the optimist) etta 

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

What a wonderfully titled Christmas thread

Yeah, sorry about that.

Have you ever had your finger hovering over the "enter" button, not sure if you should press it or not?  That's how I felt as I started the thread.  

With all the crazy drivers and accidents I've been seeing in the last few "shopping days" the thought popped into my head that even though my wife knows I have pricey comics, she really doesn't know anything about my collection.