• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Con Jan. 20, Comics Only! Killer dealer lineup.
4 4

134 posts in this topic

What a great time talking comics and buying comics!

Lots of great boardies in attendance. I finally met the famous Foolkiller in person!

Thanks again to Pov and the Brain.

Thanks to Shortboxed for arranging the after-party!

See you all on May 5th!

Congrats to the guys for putting on a really spectacular small local show that is a reminder of the John Paul Clifton shows I attend on the East Coast.  The presence of so many national dealers (Brian Peets (A-1 Comics), Phil Schlaeffer (Champion), Alan Bahr (Heroes), Harley Yee, and Bunky Brian was the most I've ever seen in one place for a show of this type.  The quality of the books in the room was fantastic with plenty of GA, super keys (AF 15, ASM 1, TMNT 1 etc) along with high grade, mid, low and every type of genre.  Being less than an hour from Napa, it made for a great weekend to be able to fly in, attend the con, but still do wine country stuff and all the restaurants.  Packed a ton into this weekend.  

I wish I could have stayed and met more boards, but was thrilled to meet some guys in person (including wormboy and primetime) and to get a chance to converse with them.  

Found plenty to buy and was able to spend a bunch in a very convenient and not overly jammed area.  It is indeed an old school con.  

It's a fantastic show and as time goes on, you can certainly see it growing even more.  Weekend warriors, guys selling their own collections etc.  They hype can continue to build with this show and there's a lot of books in CA.  

An excellent show that put me in mind of the bi- monthly shows in Boston in the 90s. That was where I first met Ted (Superworld) and Harley among others . Having  this a regular event makes the loss of Wondercon to Anaheim a total non-issue.

It was great meeting up with boardies I've know for years and new ones I just met as well as just meeting other collectors. My collecting has been taking weird turns as I had oversaturated myself over the years with pre-code horror/sci-fi/ crime and pre-hero Marvels etc. But I picked up a couple of nice LORNA THE JUNGLE GIRL (Atlas pre-code) #10 and #11 which may put me in the direction of Atlas jungle and similar Atlas non-horror and non-sci-fi books. Also got from Marc a beautiful PPSSM #64. But I was so absorbed in the show itself I forgot to snag a reader. (Easy enuff to remedy).

So thanks to Marc and Wormboy for an outstandingly focussed con! 

Next two dates, May 5 and August 4.

<< It's a fantastic show and as time goes on, you can certainly see it growing even more.  Weekend warriors, guys selling their own collections etc.  They hype can continue to build with this show and there's a lot of books in CA.>>

We had to rotate out some of those guys due to all the national dealers this time, but some of them will return in May. Phil and Alan are also signed up!

WOW - that is a lot of Silver-Age keys on those walls.  We have some nice local dealers but their walls tend to have Bronze-Age / Copper Age heavy walls with a few big keys as show stoppers.  Wish something similar would pop up in the mid-west but I see it quickly being the same old 10 dealers setting up every time with no new blood.  I think someone mentioned this Con is set up to allow a certain amount of new blood at each one - how do you do that?  Hold a few booths in reserve or is there such a waiting list you just pick names of people waiting in the wings?

Also want to reiterate how awesome the conversations are. Tim and I really love that. On Saturday Bitteroldman and Pov and Jpex had an epic conversation, joined by Spiderman Beyond at one point. We had 707Comics running into Yorick at Ray's table looking at golden age book after golden age book and striking up a fast connection (good to meet you Yorick!), it's just great. Sometimes people are talking for over an hour. I was able to meet someone I'd heard about for years and I had finally talked to him Thursday night about the show and we chatted on the phone for 90 minutes! Sometimes Nexus and JBud come and talk to Wormboy for an hour or two about original art. It's that kind of thing.

Also a great chance to talk to very experienced dealers. For instance a fairly new, but serious collector, emailed me last night saying he was able to get some good tips and philosophy from Harley about dealing with CGC for the first time. (the collector had found it a bit dispiriting to get his first grades back, lower than he expected). Not uncommon to have vendors with 30 years experience.