• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-hero Atlas comics outlook
5 5

65 posts in this topic

I guess the most obvious and yet easily forgotten point is that the late PHM books and the early FF books were on the stands at the exact same time.    1961,1962..

You could have taken your  20c down to the drugstore in 1961 and bought a FF1 and a TOS23 on the same afternoon in August of '61.    (arrival dates show 'Nov 61' books arriving August '61 with FF1's typically being 8/8/61).

Edited by Bronty

26 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I guess if we are paying no attention to anything I said, then yes that looks like FF  :baiting:

zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ wha?  Did someone say something?  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I also love the prehero covers with the round 12c marks.  Those show the comic is truly in the age of Marvel.

That TTA 31 came out the same month as Hulk 1.

That begs the question..... does a "pre-hero Marvel" have to predate FF1?  TTA 31 came out after FF1.

Edited by gadzukes

30 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I also love the prehero covers with the round 12c marks.  Those show the comic is truly in the age of Marvel.

That begs the question..... does a "pre-hero Marvel" have to predate FF1?  TTA 31 came out after FF1.

Good question. I always took is as the book was still a PHM until the hero actually debuted in the title. What do others think?

I love the pre hero books, but they are getting a little out of my range.

I picked up most of what I have before the run-up. I was fortunate to complete the ST 1-100 run, but I am stuck trying to upgrade some books. The JIM 1-83 i don't think is going to happen at this point, but I did manage to get a copy of #1.

Just a real challenge and fun runs to collect!

The pre code are definitely more expensive, but the post code are harder to find.

The collecting interest seems to lie mainly with the pre code as did the majority of the readership when they were coming out. The drop off after the implementation of the code means those books are particularly harder to find in IMHO.

2 hours ago, Jayman said:
3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Good question. I always took is as the book was still a PHM until the hero actually debuted in the title. What do others think?

For all farts like myself, PHM originally meant TOS 1-38, TTA 1-34, ST 67-100, JIM 50-82, AA 1-6 and AAF 7-14, the majority of which are "Big Monster" books. Nowadays a lot of people use it as a catchall term for anything Marvel put out prior to the superhero books, but to me pre-implosion '50s Atom Age fantasy titles aren’t PHM. :sumo:

Edited by Dick Pontoon

24 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

What a nice group @*Bronze age fan*!  If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I sold you the JIM 1 3.0.  It was several years ago.  Such a nice copy.

Off eBay? That was were I bought it. Sept 10 2014. According to GPA. 

Edited by *Bronze age fan*

7 hours ago, Pontoon said:

For all farts like myself, PHM originally meant TOS 1-38, TTA 1-34, ST 67-100, JIM 50-82, AA 1-6 and AAF 7-14, the majority of which are "Big Monster" books. Nowadays a lot of people use it as a catchall term for anything Marvel put out prior to the superhero books, but to me pre-implosion '50s Atom Age fantasy titles aren’t PHM. :sumo:

The only ones I would add is (the oft-maligned) World of Fantasy 15-19 (specifically 18-19), Strange Worlds 1-5 and ST Annual 1 (for the OCD).

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

The only ones I would add is (the oft-maligned) World of Fantasy 15-19 (specifically 18-19), Strange Worlds 1-5 and ST Annual 1 (for the OCD).

-bc

doh! I knew i forgot something! I think the last time I did that *Bronze age fan* brought it up.