• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Pin: Share your CAF Galleries (gallery descrip required)
3 3

35 posts in this topic

Boardies are welcome to share their CAF galleries in this thread.  The only requirement I can think of — please ensure your gallery has a description, even a brief one, so that we can read/share our thoughts on OA (doesn’t have to be for each individual piece).

Community-building, a way to get to know each other better.  : ) 

My gallery is a blend of very old + very new.  Matt Baker to Dell’Otto with the likes of Jim Lee, DeCarlo, Bagley, Francavilla, and more.  I don’t favor any single era in my comic collecting... same goes for OA.

As you can see, chief among my favorite characters is Venom.  But also much love for X-23 plus anything from Archie and Star Wars.  GGA (Good Girl Art) is a highlight.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=123916

Edited by exitmusicblue

My collection consists of comic related artwork by artists that I admire of characters I associate with them. For example, Curt Swan (Superman, LSH), Nick Cardy (TT, Bat Lash), Joe Kubert (Sgt. Rock, Hawkman) and more recently Nick Pitarra (Manhattan Projects), Joe Eisma (Morning Glories), Thom Zahler (Love and Capes). I think you get the drift.

I have two sub-themes:
1) Supergirl arm wrestling X where X is a character I associate with the character X

2) The cover to the 100th issue of Sugar and Spike (big Sheldon Mayer fan). They got to 98 in the original US run. DC then issued a 99 some years later. Still waiting on #100 so I took matters into my own hands.

The art is segregated into galleries for myself, my wife, my daughters, some sketchbooks, and a few others as follows:

• Collections
    • My Art Gallery - Contains scans and stories about each piece of art. The theme of this gallery is pretty simple - characters that I care about by the artist I most identify them with, e.g., Bat Lash and Cardy, SA Flash and Infantino, Superman and Swan, etc. Be sure to scroll to the second page. There is good stuff on it, too. :)
    • Kathy's Art Gallery - Contains pieces of art purchased for or by her.
    • Allie's Art Gallery - Contains pieces of art purchased for or by her.
    • Elizabeth's Art Gallery - Contains pieces of art purchased for or by her.
    • Rebecca's Art Gallery - Contains pieces of art that purchased for and by her.
  • Sketchbooks
  • Miscellaneous
    • My Pseudo-Art Gallery - Contains art related materials for which I do not have the originals, but which are related to the pieces that I do have.
    • On the Walls - Framed pieces

Here's the link to the main gallery page: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=10225

Here's the link to all the art sorted by Most Views: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?gcat=10225&pm=1&pi=54&order=Views

Great idea for a thread. Seeing other boardies galleries helps one understand comments better - by putting them in context of a persons collecting interest and experience.

My Caf gallery is called duke fleed.

I love superhero art - mainly modern stuff, but slowly working back to acquire art of comics from my youth (1980s).  The gallery is mostly covers and splashes - but as I look back in time at older stuff - I will likely add more panel pages with cool action and dialogue.

I separate the art  into individual galleries by character where I have a bunch (of the same character) and by publisher where a piece is the only example of a particular series.

As part of that 80s collecting - I have a nostalgia for some of the 80s indy titles. Added a few this past year.   Hope to add more. Cerebus and TMNT are on my list, among others.

My favorite non superhero comic is Groo. So far I got 1 piece of art and hope to add more when a good one pops up at a price that's right for the moment.

Finally - and I blame this on watching too many old shows from the 50s and 60s - I have a modest gallery of vintage magazine paintings.  I first discovered these at Mitch's booth several years back. Love this stuff - but meeting other colectors who like this stuff is tough.

Caf link

My art collecting is all over the place, but largely defined by access to artists appearing at California conventions and events beginning in the 1990's. My favorite comics in those years were Bone and Usagi Yojimbo.  Jeff Smith and Stan Sakai were generous in signing with a head sketch or doing quick free sketches. My appetite grew and I began to seek out artists for sketches and began paying for them. WonderCon in Oakland in 1997 was especially productive as I got my first Mark Schultz, Arthur Adams, Bruce Timm, Steve Rude, and Paul Smith. The Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco ran live fundraising auctions and I purchased my first originals, especially comic strips, which I didn't often see at cons. Some of the first anime and manga cons were in California and Japanese guests often drew sketches during their autograph sessions. I sought out Kenichi Sonoda more than once and saw him all three days in Seattle three years ago. However, this became increasingly difficult due to high demand by the late 90's. Adam Warren sold his pencil layouts and commissions for low prices in the 1990's and I was a frequent customer. Animation artists began promoting their own work at comic cons during the 2000's. I learned they ran some of their own charity art auctions and found opportunities there. My brother's Stuart Ng Books hosted SDCC signings by BTAS artists Shane Glines (Ice Cream) and Glen Murakami (Shrunk'n Head, Under Beneath) in 2001. It was the start of his expansion beyond used books to being one of the largest book sellers of the artist-self-published sketchbooks. Pixar story artists Ronnie del Carmen and Enrico Casarosa, directors now, were special favorites. Stuart began importing bande dessinee and the SDCC booth became a magnet for artist's looking for artists new to them. My brother hosted French artist Pierre Alary at SDCC in 2005 and 2006. I loved his Belladone character Marie, the sword-wielding secret agent, in the days of the Three Musketeers. I was thrilled when Blacksad artist Juanjo Guarnido came to Big Wow ComicFest in San Jose. I have a handful of Studio Ghibli cels and drawings, but found many comic artists are great Hayao Miyazaki fans and will do extraordinary pieces. My best examples may be the J. Scott Campbell Totoro, Adam Hughes Kiki, and Stan Sakai Catbus. I work for a library and collect pieces featuring books and libraries. I have the American Born Chinese page by Gene Luen Yang based on our local Centerville Library where I worked for a time. I often write up the circumstances of art acquisition because I love the interaction with the artists. I have managed to purchase some older works by Carl Barks, Charles Schulz, and Chuck Jones, my three C's of cartooning.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=6882

Best,

Steven Ng

Edited by Steven Ng

Been collecting comic art for over 30 years. I am mostly a Marvel guy, many people know me as the Jean Grey collector. I have been expanding my collecting over the last 15 years,  I am a big collector of John Buscema,  Jackson Guice and Eduardo Barreto along with Al Williamson and Dave Cockrum.

CAF Gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=74

Years ago I did host panels on "Collecting Comic art" at SDCC and Wonder Con. 

One of the Gems of my collection is the complete interior art for "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" by John Buscema

I have been working for Apple many years and I started a theme "Draw me an iPod" where I commission artists to draw different characters listening to a classic iPod which later evolved into including iPhone, iPad and even iMacs.

Draw me an iPod!

I also have a NWS version "Nothing but iBod" where the character has nothing on but an iPod.

Nothing but an iBod......

Besides Comic Art I started collecting Original Rock Poster, I have exmaples from Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top and Cream. My main concentration is The Black Crowes by Alan Forbes. He worked with them for 25 years before the broke up. Alan even created their logo.

It's only Rock n Roll Art.. But I like them

On 01/01/2018 at 11:16 PM, batman_fan said:

I have a link in my signature line.  My CAF is broken down by artist.  It is Bronze Age and later for the most part.  I do have quite a bit of artwork from Batman the Animated which is some of my favorite stuff.

Signature line shows up on desktop (sometimes)- but not on phone version of this site.

LINK to David S. Albright CAF page

My comic art collecting began as an offshoot of comic book collecting, when I realized how comprehensively the history of comics had been documented.  So much work had been done, and a lifetime of discovery awaited me, and still does!

My small gallery features 3 or 4 1980s hero covers, some comic strip art, and panel pages.  Just 17 items there right now.  I just sent in my premium member payment, thanks to ComicArtFans!

Best, David S. Albright

I was born in 1984 and I started collecting/reading comics while in college. I had many comics and comic toys while growing up, but this is when I started actually collecting. I still read comics and pull about 15 new titles a month from my LCS, but all my collecting attention/money is in comic art now. I bought my first page in 2006ish. I like all eras of art, but the 1970s/1980s are my main focus. It took me a long time to find a focus. I try to collect a handful of characters and do have favorite artists, but the characters are the main deal maker or breaker for me.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=46038

I do not have a narrow focus.  I collect any art that catches my eye.

Some of my favorite artists include: Bernie Wrightson, Basil Wolverton, Matt Fox, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby & Budd Root.

Some of my favorite characters include: Spider-Man, Batman, Fantastic Four, Magneto, Dr. Doom & Wolverine (claws out preferred).

CAF link:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25394

Gotham centered collection with a focus on iconic images / posings of the big DC characters.

Had an obsession with jam pieces that has since died down.

OA focus is on scratching the nostalgia itch with early 90s breyfogle and aparo batman.

Currently working on a few commission projects which i hope to finish up this year.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=34431

The Book of Strange

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3023

I have tried to collect from all the years (1963-present) that Doctor Strange has appeared in the comics. I see all this art together as telling a story like scattered pages out of some massive lost mystic text. I try very hard to focus on published pages but have many years to find pages from. I have been collecting since 1991 so I have the advantage that some of my best pages were purchased long ago.

Edited by BookofStrange
correction

Here's my rather limited CAF page: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=43230

Looking primarily for stuff I grew up with, so Silver and Bronze, mostly published stuff. When you look at it (it won't take long... only 9 pieces) it'll look like it's mostly Spidey-focused... but it's really governed by one hard and fast rule: I will not buy a piece of art that I won't frame and put up on the wall of my home office.  I've been selling comics and using the money to purchase art, the rationale being to take my collection "out of the closet" and bring it to where I can enjoy it every day.  So getting to the point where I'm buying art and just putting it in portfolios would be -- to me -- similar to buying comics.   So that's why I buy stuff at a slow pace.

The good news is, the rule has prevented a lot of impulse buys and made me seek out certain things that I know I really want.  The bad news is, when the heck am I EVER going to be able to afford that Romita ASM page that I really want? lol

Anyway, this is a great idea... love checking out everyone's collections.  Thanks for sharing!

I've been collecting comic art for about  21 years now. I mainly focus on characters I like and try to get art from artist I like as well. If you look through my art you will find that I have a lot of Wildstorm characters, Flash ( mostly Wally West and some Barry Allen), Cable, Five Ghosts, Winter Soldier.  Most of it is Modern age art.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=20770

This is me... I acquired my first piece of original art at HoustonCon 1978 -- a Murphy Anderson Planet Comics page that still resides in my collection. I didn't really add to the collection much until the mid 80s, when I was able to pick up a few pieces by fan favorites like Corben, Wrightson, Adams, Jones, BWS... then I started a business and had a kid and left the hobby for a few years. I returned in the mid 90s and picked up a few more pieces before the turn of the century. About 12 years ago, CAF and a collector friend pulled me back into art collecting and I've been at it, to the neglect of any other of my collections, ever since. My hoard ranges from 1905 to the mid 2010s. I've had a knack for finding art in odd places like flea markets and antique stores. 

There's no real focus to my collection. If I like it, it's available and I can afford it, I'll go after it. I'm not much for commissions, though I have a few. My nostalgic sweet spot is the 60s and 70s, but I've also bought art from books I've never read and artists I'd never heard of. I've been lucky enough to pick up some historically significant pages along the way -- the first appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman, the first JSA appearance in Justice League, the first pages with Adams' Green Arrow redesign and Cockrum's Ms. Marvel, the death of Sue Dibny and others.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3878