• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Pin: Share your CAF Galleries (gallery descrip required)
3 3

35 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

This is me... I acquired my first piece of original art at HoustonCon 1978 -- a Murphy Anderson Planet Comics page that still resides in my collection. I didn't really add to the collection much until the mid 80s, when I was able to pick up a few pieces by fan favorites like Corben, Wrightson, Adams, Jones, BWS... then I started a business and had a kid and left the hobby for a few years. I returned in the mid 90s and picked up a few more pieces before the turn of the century. About 12 years ago, CAF and a collector friend pulled me back into art collecting and I've been at it, to the neglect of any other of my collections, ever since. My hoard ranges from 1905 to the mid 2010s. I've had a knack for finding art in odd places like flea markets and antique stores. 

There's no real focus to my collection. If I like it, it's available and I can afford it, I'll go after it. I'm not much for commissions, though I have a few. My nostalgic sweet spot is the 60s and 70s, but I've also bought art from books I've never read and artists I'd never heard of. I've been lucky enough to pick up some historically significant pages along the way -- the first appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman, the first JSA appearance in Justice League, the first pages with Adams' Green Arrow redesign and Cockrum's Ms. Marvel, the death of Sue Dibny and others.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3878

Quite the collection. Pretty amazing. Congrats!

I've only been collecting since 2015. It seemed the obvious evolution from collecting comics. Since I started I have bought and sold a lot of art (mostly modern) in the attempt to obtain a nice defining page from my favorite comics both past and present. Some of these books include Scalped, Love and Rockets, Batman, Deadly Class and Southern Bastards. I plan on slowly adding pages, covers or splashed that fit my collection as they become available.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=99209

Edited by artistlost

Most of my comic art comes from 80s indy favorites as they are a stronger pull on my nostalgia for the price point.   

My main interest though is collecting art from classic console game boxes (Nintendo, Super Nintendo, etc) and/or pinball machines, when I can find it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25234

Edited by Bronty

Hi Everybody, I’m Matt. I am still new to the boards. In the past year, I have gone from a passive comic art collector to an actively engaged comic art collector. I had been collecting for almost 20 years, originally focusing on free con sketches and occasional con commission to eventually making some bigger moves published pages and higher end commissions and topping it all off with a Jim Lee Justice League page. 

I am still figuring out my collection. I am not exactly sure where I am going with it but I am really enjoying figuring it out. One of my themes is Batman Unmasked and Batman in his Dark Knight Returns Armor. 

Feel free to share your thoughts on my collection.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=103886

Edited by comicfanboy007

Hi all,

I'm Gal. I share my first name with fellow Israeli, Gal Gadot, but I'm actually a guy (sorry to disappoint...).

I've been collecting OA in small chunks since 2005. My main collecting focus is early '90s mainstream DC art,
featuring key DC heroes and villains. My favorite pieces are probably the pages containing first appearances
of a few notable characters:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5981

I always enjoy discussing OA collecting, so feel free to write me.

Best,
Gal

On 1/1/2018 at 11:16 PM, batman_fan said:

I have a link in my signature line.  My CAF is broken down by artist.  It is Bronze Age and later for the most part.  I do have quite a bit of artwork from Batman the Animated which is some of my favorite stuff.

... and here I thought signature lines had been turned off with the last forum upgrade when all I apparently had to do was enable viewing them in my settings. D'oh!

4 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

... and here I thought signature lines had been turned off with the last forum upgrade when all I apparently had to do was enable viewing them in my settings. D'oh!

Yeah - but it still doesnt show up when looking at this on mobile.  Unless someone knows another setting.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Yeah - but it still doesnt show up when looking at this on mobile.  Unless someone knows another setting.

If you go to the very bottom of the site and click on Themes, then "pinch zoom," voila.  My favorite setting for the boards.

Also, new member art is up in post #2 for March-April !

Here is my link, I have really only been collecting art for maybe 8-9 years from what I remember, use to be into high grade comic keys and changed focus a bit after a personal change in my relationship.  I buy or collect what I like, not necessarily from an artist or inker, just what the piece looks like..so there is a variety of pieces.  I have tried to focus on mostly splash pages with an occasional cover when I get lucky. :)

Hope the link works.  It should bring you to "my favorite room"

Steve

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=168327

This is my gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=50616

It's got most of my collection there. I'm 35 and been collecting art for about 10 years. Mostly just keeping an eye on eBay (not so much anymore) CAF alerts and auctions for art from comics I've loved. 90's-2000's marvel, Vertigo and now mostly Image books and love discovering new (or new to me) books wherever I can find them- I'm always reading something, old or new.

Always looking out for Bachalo Gen X pages, hoping to add a Quitely page (inked!) and generally buy a couple pieces a year. Always centered around books that have resonated with me + art that does the same.

I don't have any real life friend in the hobby so really appreciate these boards for the community!

I hadn’t updated my gallery in awhile but finally did so a few days ago.

Most of the stuff I have are Marvel paintings. Some are comic book covers but the vast majority are Marvel trading card paintings ranging from the 1992 Marvel Masterpieces to the still yet unreleased 2018 Fleer Ultra X-Men set.

Some of my favorite artists are Joe Jusko and Bob Larkin. I just added a bunch of Larkin pieces in my last update.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=93169

Here is my CAF gallery: 

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=92556

It's more like a salad with a lot of different pieces than it is one distinct flavor. Starting in 2013 by getting my daughter a My Little Pony cover, my OA story continues to evolve. I have a sincere appreciation for Don Newton's work on Batman, as well as an eclectic collection of character-driven stories (Locke & Key, YTLM, Wild Blue Yonder, The Wake, anything by Terry Moore). A couple of Winsor McCay pieces punctuate the collection with something that obviously isn't nostalgia. I count several of the artists in my collection as my good friends, which honest to God is one of the coolest things in my collection.  While not a Brony, I really do appreciate the artistry of Andy Price in My Little Pony, and I have picked up more of his art than I ever expected! 

Showing a lack of discipline but a wealth of great taste, I've got a great panel page showing Shane's death from Walking Dead, a Kirby cover from New Gods with Black Racer, and King Arthur's pop-up from Camelot 3000. Trying to tamp these impulses down...

Speaking of which, I keep a "sold but not forgotten" gallery (hidden in the private gallery) to remind myself of how my tastes have changed.  Profit (loss)-wise, its been a balance of winners and losers, and that gallery is a great reminder to me of where I overpaid and undersold.

The last couple years, I've been commissioning a team-up of Batman & Spectre. Again, commissioning has been a great learning process with a wonderful prize at the end. 

Focusing on the future, I'm going to trim down a little, and focus on a couple bigger pieces. I still read comics weekly, so there is a never-ending stream of new artists and books to discover (Thanos Wins by Geoff Shaw, for instance). Stay tuned! 

Edited by Sideshow Bob

I started reading comics in 1983, when my classmate brought an old Conan comic book to show-and-tell....I was hooked!

I gave up on reading/collecting comic books around 1994. Prices had ballooned, comics as an investment proved to be a bust & stories weren't as compelling.

In May 2014, feeling nostalgic, I visited my local comic shop, the owner still recognized me, and while chatting, I flipped through a Capullo Batman issue and got hooked all over again!

Capullo/Snyder lead me to Snyder/Murphy and The Wake. I started following Sean Murphy on Twitter, which lead me to his art dealers website. Turns out Sean's agent was 5 minutes from my office...thus I got my first taste of original art.

I made my first purchase in 2015 & have since committed to making one or two "meaningful" additions each year.

I see lots of mature collections with pieces that don't seem to fit within a larger context of a collectors main focus. I'm trying to avoid that.

My focus has been Sean Murphy artwork, I love his ability to create depth and his ability to spot blacks. I enjoy buying pieces that are visually interesting, that can stand alone as good art or good sequential storytelling.  I'm looking to add meaningful examples from a few other artists I appreciate.

http://cafurl.com?i=23225

Thanks for reading and thanks for visiting my CAF

Edited by Stefanomjr
Clarity