• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you find your Bronze Age Romance-Nick Cardy specifically

18 posts in this topic

So, for the last few months I've been buying quite a few iconic Cardy covers from Teen Titans, Aquaman, etc. Started looking at putting together a collection of Nick Cardy DC Romance covers.  You'll see the occasional over priced rag on ebay, but the Cardy Romance Covers are invisible on most of the major dealers sites. Where do people go to find these books? Is it a well guarded secret? Is guide pricing out of touch with reality? I'm not even looking for high grade stuff, just presentable copies. Do dealers take these type books to conventions? Help!!

On 12/22/2017 at 2:11 PM, boomtown said:

So, for the last few months I've been buying quite a few iconic Cardy covers from Teen Titans, Aquaman, etc. Started looking at putting together a collection of Nick Cardy DC Romance covers.  You'll see the occasional over priced rag on ebay, but the Cardy Romance Covers are invisible on most of the major dealers sites. Where do people go to find these books? Is it a well guarded secret? Is guide pricing out of touch with reality? I'm not even looking for high grade stuff, just presentable copies. Do dealers take these type books to conventions? Help!!

I have found a few nice older DC romance comics. And quite a few Charlton romance Comics over the years. Basically just going to different stores and looking through all their stuff. Sometimes they'll separate the romance into a different section. But for the most part I say it's just lucky if it happens to be in the collection.

John romita did some good artwork for Atlas/timely in the 50s. Those books are kind of neat too.  

You are right though. Definitely don't see a lot of this stuff On Dealer site. I just checked Dale Roberts and could find one copy of young love and one copy of young Romance.

https://www.dalerobertscomics.com/search?q=Young+love

On 12/25/2017 at 11:42 PM, Jack Linguini said:

I have found a few nice older DC romance comics. And quite a few Charlton romance Comics over the years. Basically just going to different stores and looking through all their stuff. Sometimes they'll separate the romance into a different section. But for the most part I say it's just lucky if it happens to be in the collection.

John romita did some good artwork for Atlas/timely in the 50s. Those books are kind of neat too.  

You are right though. Definitely don't see a lot of this stuff On Dealer site. I just checked Dale Roberts and could find one copy of young love and one copy of young Romance.

https://www.dalerobertscomics.com/search?q=Young+love

Thanks Jack!

I'm sure these books are in collections but was surprised at how difficult they were to find in relation to superhero titles. I was pointed to a seller on Comic Collector Live and was able to purchase 12 of the 18 Cardy covers in a single shot. Certainly not high grade, but at least filler copies (at filler copy prices) until something better shows up. Included in the lot was the iconic (and the cover that started the search) Go Go Dancer cover on Girls Romance 144.

gr144.jpg.bbcd762d5610274590da8e898a4e5902.jpg

I know you're talking specifically about the Nick Cardy covers here. 

But going through my junk just now found about 40 Charlton romance Comics mostly early 70s that I hadn't seen for a while. Any interest in that sort of thing?

I have no idea when exactly I bought all these. But at some point in time or over time. I've accumulated at least 200 miscellaneous Charlton comics. Mostly horror but quite a few romance too.

Some of these have these really sort of funky Spanish or Filipino art that has this very Art Deco modern look to it pretty cool.

I'm down with your quest to find all those Cardy covers though. A lot of my favorite Action and detective covers are are by him

JL

I just pulled two out that I'll mylar up here in a minute. 

Note the exceptional centering. As well as the fine machine trimming. Has that nice sewing scissor effect you find only on the best Charlton books.

I know this is sort of a little bit sideways. But it's fun to talk about this stuff. And you don't see this stuff as much as the regular superhero stuff. So what the hell.

JL

20171227_210536.jpg

16 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

But going through my junk just now found about 40 Charlton romance Comics mostly early 70s that I hadn't seen for a while. Any interest in that sort of thing?

JL

Appreciate the offer, but trying to stay focused. Collecting the 18 or so Cardy covers is about as far as I want to go into the Romance genre.

12 hours ago, boomtown said:

Appreciate the offer, but trying to stay focused. Collecting the 18 or so Cardy covers is about as far as I want to go into the Romance genre.

I can dig it. I just pulled out a couple of issues of secret hearts. All those covers are by Jay Scott Pike. And I got one that's a Gene colan.

That gogo dancer cover is so sweet. You might have just made a convert out of me too. Was looking for some other Silver age project to get into anyway. Probably start by getting some Teen Titans. As I don't actually own any of the Silver age ones.

JL

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎22 at 1:11 PM, boomtown said:

In my collection.

If you have a list, I can see what dupes that I may have and if I'm willing to part with them.

Greg

2 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

I have several more besides whats on the website as well. You can always send me a list.

:o

On 12/29/2017 at 1:11 AM, Jack Linguini said:

I can dig it. I just pulled out a couple of issues of secret hearts. All those covers are by Jay Scott Pike. And I got one that's a Gene colan.

That gogo dancer cover is so sweet. You might have just made a convert out of me too. Was looking for some other Silver age project to get into anyway. Probably start by getting some Teen Titans. As I don't actually own any of the Silver age ones.

JL

@boomtown: a followup to this. Now you have me looking for the nice Cardy romance covers. Lots more Gene Colan and Jay Scott Pike out there tho.
As I feared this thread has now got me down a new road. Starting my OG Teen Titans collection. Not a romance cover, but a great Nick Cardy piece:

Showcase 59 :

I think they just ran 100% magenta on that background. That hot pink is insane.
bests

JL

Showcase59.jpg

12 hours ago, Jack Linguini said:

Showcase 59 :

I think they just ran 100% magenta on that background. That hot pink is insane.
bests

JL

Showcase59.jpg

Speaking of romance, this reminds me of one of my favorite Silver Age DC romance covers, from Gene Colan (not my copy, though I have a lower grade one somewhere):

Girls'_Romances_Vol_1_108.jpg

You just have to put in the time going through store after store, show after show.  It's really amazing the range of prices you'll find.  All it takes is to find a store where the owner feels he doesn't have the customer base for this kind of material and has them marked way below market value.  I've found gorgeous romance books in $3 bins, and you can also pay a fortune.  My general rule of thumb is to pick anything nice when you find it.   Just go through every box, ask every store owner or dealer you come across.