• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 48,49,50
8 8

130 posts in this topic

Hot books for obvious reasons.

Which of the 3 is likely to gain the most in value over the next 5-10 years?

Obviously 48 is a must have book but i think the real undervalued book of the 3 is the 49.

First Full Galactus is more important going forward than a noted cameo.

First Silver Surfer is hard to top but combine first full Galactus with Silver Surfer second appearance combined with first Silver Surfer/Galactus cover. A true recipe for success in years to come. 

Such a great imposing cover that gives the true impression of the mighty Galactus.

Ultimately does the majority agree that 49 is undervalued? 

Could this book be as valuable if not more valuable than 48 in 5-10 years time and beyond?

I think FF #49 is severely overlooked. 1st full Galactus, 2nd  Silver Surfer , 1st cover appearance of both !  Tough cover and FF#49 was not horded and taken care of like #48.  I love #48 as well, I wish I had a 9.8!  This is Just my opinion and I own all (3) Three issues.

Edited by paul747
spelling sucks

4 hours ago, jharvey said:

Be careful with #51. The demand for it is close to nil. If you ever have to sell it, it will sit for years.

I suspect this might be true, but Sweet Christmas it shouldn't be!

I bought an attractive higher grade copy from HighGradeComics a couple years back, and was very happy to get it. I felt like I was getting a real sleeper. Guess it's still sleeping!

10 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

The last 9.6 sold in a Pedigree Comics auction last year. Not a huge amount but considerable interest.

You are correct in that a FF#51 9.6 or 9.8 will probably still do quite well. But if you try to sell a mid, or higher grade copy, it may be tough.

I also think that you need all 3 - but I think 48 is clearly the most important. In fact, there is an argument for FF48 being the second most important FF book (although I still think FF5 wins). 

That being said I think both FF48 and FF49 are both undervalued - and that they could see big gains under Marvel's ownership again (full disclosure I reacquired Both FF48 and 49 this year - not because I think they are due for big gains but because Silver Surfer is one of my favourites). 

The fact that FF52 and even FF45 are "worth" more than FF48 boggles my mind - I guess FF48 was hoarded ..... but still. 

Quantity is the problem with FF #48. Per the census:

9.8  35

9.6  85

9.4  112

9.2  134

9.0  177

This is a high number of copies in the 9.0 + range.  This is also before considering that there are 200 + copies in every grade from 4.0 - 8.0.

Scarcity isn't really an issue. 

For my money, high grade issues of Thor in the 145 - 165 range are the better prize due to rarity.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

Quantity is the problem with FF #48. Per the census:

9.8  35

9.6  85

9.4  112

9.2  134

9.0  177

This is a high number of copies in the 9.0 + range.  This is also before considering that there are 200 + copies in every grade from 4.0 - 8.0.

Scarcity isn't really an issue. 

For my money, high grade issues of Thor in the 145 - 165 range are the better prize due to rarity.

I get what you’re saying, but scarcity (aka supply) isn’t an issue for most of these SA books... Demand is the x-factor...

Hulk 181, albeit bronze, is a good example of demand driving prices of a book with heavy supply. 

I hate to talk movies driving prices, but seems relevant to the topic. SS is already a beloved character to the initiated, if that same love spreads to the masses via the big screen, it should be a fun ride. And that’s not even considering Galactus (think IM55)...

Edited by Callaway29

One thing to consider before making any comparisons between FF 48 to the other great FF books mentioned throughout this thread. FF 48 gets categorized in other sets that can include the great Marvel SA keys, albeit 48 always ends up near the bottom on account of it coming out during '66 when collectors hoarded comics. A recent poll on the boards resulted in FF 48 getting the most number of votes supporting the book's place as the most significant Silver Age key of the second half of the 1960s. Sure, FF 49 and 50 are important but the probability these subsequent issues will exceed the significance of 48 is next to impossible (will leave room for chance if all existing 48s someday disappear). There are plenty of books that begin story arcs but it's the first issue of the arc that in nearly all cases matters most. 

Poor FF 45. The Inhumans first appearance is as not as desirable to many seasoned SA collectors as the Surfer's and Galactus (I will point out that while 48 is Galactus' first appearance in cameo, the title of the story is "The Coming of Galactus" so the stage is set for the Herald's employer in this issue- it's not just about the one panel = first appearance argument made by the Hulk 180 and Supes Pal Jimmy Olsen crowds- context matters and 48 provides this along with Galactus in cameo). However, FF 45 has a classic cover that is among the best in the run- the colors are also gorgeous- and classic covers are in demand in the Plasti-Slabbed Age of the early 21st Century Comic Book (that is until something new comes along).

FF 52 is a special key. The first black superhero and arguably (Luke Cage fans will raise their objections) the most significant black superhero creation of the 20th Century. The wave of Bronze Age Diversity that followed during the '70s owes much to FF 52...

All of these FF issues are classic (every SA Marvel collection should have 45, 48, 49, 50, & 52) and one reason why the SA FF run is one of the World's Greatest Magazines...

john

Edited by bronze johnny

I once saw an auction on eBay about 10 years ago where a seller had a sealed case of FF 48 books inside, i can't recall if the box contained other FF issues. He said that he bought it in some gas station either back in the 60's or 70's.  I think he bought a couple more of those boxes, one of which he opened. I dunno if anyone else remembered seeing that auction, but it was unique and amazing to see.

Maybe that may have affected the quantity of FF 48 in high grade if the buyer opened it up and sent to CGC.

55 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

One thing to consider before making any comparisons between FF 48 to the other great FF books mentioned throughout this thread. FF 48 gets categorized in other sets that can include the great Marvel SA keys, albeit 48 always ends up near the bottom on account of it coming out during '66 when collectors hoarded comics. A recent poll on the boards resulted in FF 48 getting the most number of votes supporting the book's place as the most significant Silver Age key of the second half of the 1960s. Sure, FF 49 and 50 are important but the probability these subsequent issues will exceed the significance of 48 is next to impossible (will leave room for chance if all existing 48s someday disappear). There are plenty of books that begin story arcs but it's the first issue of the arc that in nearly all cases matters most. 

Poor FF 45. The Inhumans first appearance is as not as desirable to many seasoned SA collectors as the Surfer's and Galactus (I will point out that while 48 is Galactus' first appearance in cameo, the title of the story is "The Coming of Galactus" so the stage is set for the Herald's employer in this issue- it's not just about the one panel = first appearance argument made by the Hulk 180 and Supes Pal Jimmy Olsen crowds- context matters and 48 provides this along with Galactus in cameo). However, FF 45 has a classic cover that is among the best in the run- the colors are also gorgeous- and classic covers are in demand in the Plasti-Slabbed Age of the early 21st Century Comic Book (that is until something new comes along).

FF 52 is a special key. The first black superhero and arguably (Luke Cage fans will raise their objections) the most significant black superhero creation of the 20th Century. The wave of Bronze Age Diversity that followed during the '70s owes much to FF 52...

All of these FF issues are classic (every SA Marvel collection should have 45, 48, 49, 50, & 52) and one reason why the SA FF run is one of the World's Greatest Magazines...

john

:applause:Bravo.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  

-J.

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I get what you’re saying, but scarcity (aka supply) isn’t an issue for most of these SA books... Demand is the x-factor...

Hulk 181, albeit bronze, is a good example of demand driving prices of a book with heavy supply. 

I hate to talk movies driving prices, but seems relevant to the topic. SS is already a beloved character to the initiated, if that same love spreads to the masses via the big screen, it should be a fun ride. And that’s not even considering Galactus (think IM55)...

Ah, I thought someone would bring up IH#181. While there is constant demand for this and AS#129, they are the exception rather than the rule. 

FF#48 will never carry the demand of the aforementioned gems, and while there may be a temporary spike it won't hold. Expect to also see a dramatic fall off for FF#45 and #52.

23 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Ah, I thought someone would bring up IH#181. While there is constant demand for this and AS#129, they are the exception rather than the rule. 

FF#48 will never carry the demand of the aforementioned gems, and while there may be a temporary spike it won't hold. Expect to also see a dramatic fall off for FF#45 and #52.

I see a very bright future ahead for Galactus and the Silver Surfer.