• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 48,49,50
8 8

130 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2017 at 2:07 PM, Dark Knight said:

I once saw an auction on eBay about 10 years ago where a seller had a sealed case of FF 48 books inside, i can't recall if the box contained other FF issues. He said that he bought it in some gas station either back in the 60's or 70's.  I think he bought a couple more of those boxes, one of which he opened. I dunno if anyone else remembered seeing that auction, but it was unique and amazing to see.

Maybe that may have affected the quantity of FF 48 in high grade if the buyer opened it up and sent to CGC.

FF #48 was a warehouse find. That's why it's fairly common in higher grades, but the book is a key appearance of one of the best known 2nd tier characters in all of comics.

I'm not too worried about it's value and the appeal of the character transcends genres.

Comparing an FF #48 to 49 or 50 is not a fair comparison. FF #48 is a monster book IMO.

12 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

I see a very bright future ahead for Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

About a temporary 80% at the height of the frenzy (with 1 fool and their money appearing on Comic Link or Pedigree Comics) then a fall off with prices sitting at 35% higher than original beyond the movie hype.

Iron Man is cooling considerably and WWBN #32 has so very far to fall (the two fools who paid 14K + for a 9.8 will never see their money back) with others to follow.

Facts will trump a crystal ball every time (and this doesn't need a heart icon).

Another benefit to FF49 and FF50 is that all big Surfer fans need to (in addition to FF48) own at least FF49, FF50, and Silver Surfer 1 & 4. So if you think FF48 is due a bump (because of the Marvel news) then I would think the other 4 big Surfer books would see a rise as well (with FF50 seeing the smallest bump). 

I like to wonder how different prices would be on FF48 if it was more "scarce" like the earlier Marvel keys (not that those are truly scarce by any means). 

Edited by Chillax23

As Roy alluded to FF #48 was a warehouse find. And it wasn't just a few thousand copies either. Long time Maryland dealer Gene Carpenter has recounted to me setting stacks out on his table from unopened cases at .50 apiece (along with Iron Man #1's) in the mid 1970's. He bought them at .10 apiece and was thrilled to make a 5 bagger on his money. There is no doubt he wasn't the only one.  The fact that the market has expanded exponentially enough to absorb all of these copies and support current price levels is amazing. FF #49 and #50 were not overstock books. Even with abundant supply in all grades, even very high grade, there is tremendous demand for #48. Were it not for that, FF 48's price would be much farther ahead of #49 and #50 than it already is. 

2 hours ago, gregreece said:

As Roy alluded to FF #48 was a warehouse find. And it wasn't just a few thousand copies either. Long time Maryland dealer Gene Carpenter has recounted to me setting stacks out on his table from unopened cases at .50 apiece (along with Iron Man #1's) in the mid 1970's. He bought them at .10 apiece and was thrilled to make a 5 bagger on his money. There is no doubt he wasn't the only one.  The fact that the market has expanded exponentially enough to absorb all of these copies and support current price levels is amazing. FF #49 and #50 were not overstock books. Even with abundant supply in all grades, even very high grade, there is tremendous demand for #48. Were it not for that, FF 48's price would be much farther ahead of #49 and #50 than it already is. 

Thanks for the info - interesting to hear. 

Don't get me wrong - I am impressed with how valuable FF48 is given the stories I have heard about warehouse finds of this book. I just love the character and like to think how valuable the book would be absent the number of copies.

i was also surprised when the top Silver Age key voting was going on on the forum last year how highly FF48 placed (I think it was in the 13-16 range???) 

I am happy to have my FF48 and FF49 - but will definitely look to get a higher grade copy of FF48 in the future (so part of me hopes the prices don't spike with the Marvel news)

16 hours ago, VintageComics said:

FF #48 was a warehouse find. That's why it's fairly common in higher grades, but the book is a key appearance of one of the best known 2nd tier characters in all of comics.

I'm not too worried about it's value and the appeal of the character transcends genres.

Comparing an FF #48 to 49 or 50 is not a fair comparison. FF #48 is a monster book IMO.

Yep I agree FF 48 is a monster book, but like someone else was saying, if it only had the cover to #49 I think it would sell for more.  If one owns a #48, they really need to complete the trilogy.  Great set IMHO.

Hmm yeah, I don't know. The cover to 48 is a classic, ominous cover, and perfectly embodies what's to come.  And these guys think it's the best FF cover ever (49 doesn't even make the list):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/08/the-top-15-fantastic-four-covers-of-all-time/

-J.

14 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

SS #4 - the one in the series to get on account of guest star on cover and apparent low distribution. Sell at peak of SS infatuation.

Don't believe Overstreet on that one.  Surfer #1 turns out to be harder to find in nice shape (133 in cgc 9.4 or better) than #4 (195 in cgc 9.4 or better), and while it doesn't sport the classic cover, it's the iconic first solo issue.

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hmm yeah, I don't know. The cover to 48 is a classic, ominous cover, and perfectly embodies what's to come.  And these guys think it's the best FF cover ever (49 doesn't even make the list):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/08/the-top-15-fantastic-four-covers-of-all-time/

-J.

HAHA  This list is horrible !

I'm a big Silver Surfer fan and had FF 48-50 all at one time or another starting with low grade copies many years ago. Recently sold my FF 50 CGC 8.5 to get a FF 49 CGC 8.5 as I think it is the more important book and my favorite cover of the trilogy. Used to own a FF 48 CGC 9.2 but sold it to pay bills :-( Now I just picked up a CGC 6.0 copy and will work on upgrading it in the near future.

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

Don't believe Overstreet on that one.  Surfer #1 turns out to be harder to find in nice shape (133 in cgc 9.4 or better) than #4 (195 in cgc 9.4 or better), and while it doesn't sport the classic cover, it's the iconic first solo issue.

#1 actually blew out about 3.5 years ago. You might obtain a 9.8 W for $25K if someone needed the $, but unlikely.