• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 48,49,50
8 8

130 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again; If the silver age has a single, highest moment, that moment occurred in the pages of Fantastic Four #49.

5a46fb528ef4f_IMG_08781.thumb.jpg.7b27053ae2697b37647551297b7c98a7.jpg

Agreed. It was one of the most honest and exemplary moments of the Silver Age.

Others include FF #26 and the classic Kirby run on Thor.  Good times.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I've said this before, but I'll say it again; If the silver age has a single, highest moment, that moment occurred in the pages of Fantastic Four #49.

5a46fb528ef4f_IMG_08781.thumb.jpg.7b27053ae2697b37647551297b7c98a7.jpg

FF 50 was my first comic.  What an introduction to the world of superhero comics, the Marvel universe, Fantastic Four, and the work of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.  It became very important to me to find more FF issues, especially the rest of the Galactus, Silver Story arc - at the time I didn't know it was a trilogy.

#51 is notable as it serves as an epilogue to the preceding trilogy.

Reed Richards is researching other dimensions and is concerned that mankind is clearly not ready for threats such as Galactus. Sue asks if he (Galactus) will ever return and Reed replies "there's always a chance".

It was a sober moment as Reed realized that every foe the Fantastic Four had battled  - including Mole Man, the Skrulls, Miracle Man, Sub-Mariner, Puppet Master, Impossible Man, Hulk, Red Ghost, Mad Thinker, Super-Skrull, Rama-Tut, Molecule Man, Hate Monger, Diablo, Invincible Man, Attuma, Gideon, Dragon Man, the Frightful Four and even Doom - were nothing next to Galactus.

Edited by World Devourer

Issue #49 is the linchpin of the story. To me, this is the single greatest silver age book. What unfolds in this issue is what makes #48 a key book. The scope, drama, and stakes presented here are what moved this story and Marvel to the next level. Even though Stan and Jack probably didn't know it at the time, everything they had been building up over the last few years by working together, were the ingredients that made the perfect cake that we now revere as the Galactus Trilogy. It was a defining moment in time for the comic book industry, done by guys just trying to put food on the table. I think Jack was given the freedom by Stan to spread his wings a little bit and it really shows. We must remember, surfing had become a popular cultural phenomena by the early and mid 60's and I think there's no doubt this was the inspiration for the Silver Surfer. It was a risky move and could have come off as a cheesy and lame ripoff, but no, somehow Jack pulls it off and creates something visually stunning and believably epic.

With this, Stan and Jack cemented themselves into the popular culture and became the Lennon-McCartney of comic books, but unfortunately, over time, just like Lennon and McCartney, the success they created became a sticking point and strained their relationship to the brink, but that is another whole story in and of itself, but the parallels between the two are quite amazing. 

Edited by Jaylam

3 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Ah, I see. FF#55 does sport a great action cover as well.

And the first story with the Silver Surfer on his own.

I have seen men build... and destroy. I have seen this world, which could be a paradise, reduced to a planet of greed, and fear, and hatred! I have seen humanity with its heritage betrayed! I can stomach no more! - Silver Surfer

For some strange reason, #48 is the Big One, even though it's just a cameo for Galactus and the SS. Not sure why that doesn't also apply to Hulk #180 with Wolverine's cameo. But if they do make it to the big screen, and they surely must, all three will skyrocket in value. #48 is still the one to get first while it's affordable. I picked up a 3.0 this past year, along with a 6.0 #49. I'm waiting on a #50 in the mail now. It's just a 3.0, but at least I'll have one (again).

Edited by Getoutandstayout

56 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

For some strange reason, #48 is the Big One, even though it's just a cameo for Galactus and the SS. Not sure why that doesn't also apply to Hulk #180 with Wolverine's cameo. But if they do make it to the big screen, and they surely must, all three will skyrocket in value. #48 is still the one to get first while it's affordable. I picked up a 3.0 this past year, along with a 6.0 #49. I'm waiting on a #50 in the mail now. It's just a 3.0, but at least I'll have one (again).

No, 48 is not a cameo of the SS, and villain appearances (like galactus) are pretty much always second or third fiddle in importance and desirability.  48 is a monster because of the SS, the Galactus first appearance at the end of the first part of this SS/Galactus story arc (announced prominently on the cover) is gravy.  As for why it is not "like" Hulk 180/181, Hulk 180 is a wendigo story with a throw away wolverine cameo at the end to tease the next issue, 181, which is the wolverine story and his first real substantive appearance. 

-J.

2 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

The two cameos in FF48 and Hulk 180 cant really be compared. 

6 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

The two cameos in FF48 and Hulk 180 cant really be compared. 

Not even close.  The entire issue (48) is all about “Galactus is coming!”.  Then, he appears at the end.

As Jaydog correctly stated, Wolverines cameo in 180 was the teaser for 181.  FF48 was centered around Galactus, even if he doesn’t appear until that last page.

The two books have little in common.

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Not even close.  The entire issue (48) is all about “Galactus is coming!”.  Then, he appears at the end.

As Jaydog correctly stated, Wolverines cameo in 180 was the teaser for 181.  FF48 was centered around Galactus, even if he doesn’t appear until that last page.

Very different indeed. Galactus also appears in the totality of #50, whereas Wolverine only appears on the first 2 pages of #182, the other end of that "trilogy".

8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Yeah I agree that in FF48 we have a monster book in the makin .... 

and with Disney now in the equation, the scene could be set for the grandest battle Royal ever to hit the MCU.

On 12/24/2017 at 4:54 AM, Wolverine3 said:

Hot books for obvious reasons.

Which of the 3 is likely to gain the most in value over the next 5-10 years?

Obviously 48 is a must have book but i think the real undervalued book of the 3 is the 49.

First Full Galactus is more important going forward than a noted cameo.

First Silver Surfer is hard to top but combine first full Galactus with Silver Surfer second appearance combined with first Silver Surfer/Galactus cover. A true recipe for success in years to come. 

Such a great imposing cover that gives the true impression of the mighty Galactus.

Ultimately does the majority agree that 49 is undervalued? 

Could this book be as valuable if not more valuable than 48 in 5-10 years time and beyond?

I have always loved FF 49 cover.

Probably my second fav cover in the entire run.

With one of the coolest titles "If This Be Doomsday!" what a master piece.

I got really lucky, upgrading my 48 at the Baltimore Con just a few months before the big jump.  In one of my group PM's, I've been touting the book for a few years now as undervalued.  I should've followed my own advice and been stocking up on it.  I'm just glad I completed "the trilogy" before this recent upswing.  

Definitely still room in 49 and 50.  50 sports a great Surfer cover.   Might be one to "target" while everyone is going after 48.