• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Dark Horse Comics in trouble now Disney has bought Fox?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I was wondering if Dark Horse Comics are now in trouble, after losing Star Wars when Disney bought Lucas Films, are they now in even bigger trouble

now that Disney has bought Fox? Aliens, Predator, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer to name some?

3 hours ago, herc2000 said:

I was wondering if Dark Horse Comics are now in trouble, after losing Star Wars when Disney bought Lucas Films, are they now in even bigger trouble

now that Disney has bought Fox? Aliens, Predator, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer to name some?

I think Planet of the Apes is Boom studios but Dark Horse looks looks screwed.

Guess it all depends on the licensing agreements in place and what deal they can work out.  Disney might be content to let Dark Horse run with some of them just because they still get paid for characters that they might not want to spend the manpower on to produce new product. 

Maybe Mayor, but as Dark Horse are a rival comic company, I think they might just screw them over. 

I just looked on the Dark Horse Homepage, and noticed none of these titles were on there now and I could only find them when I type them in a search, unless they're just not big sellers for them anymore anyway, did see Angel though.

Unless Disney thinks every person that reads Buffy is suddenly going to take those dollars and start reading Spider-man I don't see how it makes sense to them to completely shut Dark Horse down.  Now a Disney "takeover" of the remaining characters/licensing agreements/assets in general might be another conversation all together.  

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Mouseschwitz is what most employees that work on the Disney lot call Disney. I'm sure they are going to be fair in their dealings with Dark Horse. 

Definitely sounds like a studio/company that wears different faces in public and private.

South Park had episode(s) where Mickey Mouse -behind the scenes- is portrayed as a mean, foul-mouthed, brutal enforcer of Disney's strict policy of selling sex to pre-teens (via pop personalities like Jonas Bros., Brittany Spears or whichever) while pretending promote "purity".  Hilarious stuff.

But "Mouseschwitz" certainly tops that for imagery of Disney's evil personality behind a façade of family-oriented goodness and niceness.  Heh.

15 minutes ago, grebal said:

Definitely sounds like a studio/company that wears different faces in public and private.

South Park had episode(s) where Mickey Mouse -behind the scenes- is portrayed as a mean, foul-mouthed, brutal enforcer of Disney's strict policy of selling sex to pre-teens (via pop personalities like Jonas Bros., Brittany Spears or whichever) while pretending promote "purity".  Hilarious stuff.

But "Mouseschwitz" certainly tops that for imagery of Disney's evil personality behind a façade of family-oriented goodness and niceness.  Heh.

I have personally known of two suicides which have taken place within the walls of its Burbank studio and not a word of them ever made it to the outside world.

Was shooting in one of the buildings about a year ago on the Ding-Dong TeeVee show I'm working on and peered in a giant room that was nothing but walls and walls and walls of Marvel Essential and Omnibus collections. Hope they use them.

Edited by NoMan

On 12/27/2017 at 4:20 AM, herc2000 said:

I think Dark Horse hasn't used Conan that much lately. A rumor is Conan is going back to Marvel as well.

The Conan Arnold  Schwarzenegger movies were technically owned by Fox. Add that to Dark Horse not doing anything with Conan and rumors start that Conan might be going back to Marvel.

http://www.tvovermind.com/comics/know-conan-barbarian-technically-part-marvel-comics

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 12/28/2017 at 2:01 PM, Comicdey said:

I’m curious when the regulators will step in and break up this monopoly ? of creative characters.   They broke up “the”phone company  ?

?

With this administration, as long as the stock is performing everything is all right.  I am waiting for this government to do anything that benefits the little people. 

42 minutes ago, Reno McCoy said:

Looks like Conan is with Marvel now. That was a pretty big seller with DH, right? 

I wonder what DH does now. hm

Come up with the next Concrete or Sin City (meaning, hope a creative type publishes with them?)

1 hour ago, Reno McCoy said:

Looks like Conan is with Marvel now. That was a pretty big seller with DH, right? 

I wonder what DH does now. hm

43 minutes ago, the blob said:

Come up with the next Concrete or Sin City (meaning, hope a creative type publishes with them?)

The last Conan that made the sales charts it was ranked below 250. Dark Horse has some good titles, they are just not picked up by the masses. Much like any other publisher besides the Big 2. Ever read Lady Killer?