• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever seen/have the OA for this British Spider-Man cover?

28 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, cesium_7 said:

I think there a strong chance it could be a Buscema cover, but the Spiderman figure was redrawn by someone else, thus why Sal didn't recognize it. 

I do know Frank Giacoia and Mike Esposito worked on several British covers together, particularly those published in 1975.  They apparently had desks next to each other in the Bullpen, so would trade things off between the two of them.  Have even seen both of their names on British art from 1977, so could have been common throughout the period.

That all makes sense.  I can understand if this piece was penciled by Sal, the Spidey figure was redone by Wilson, the main figures/foreground were inked by Giacoia, and backgrounds/other blacks were inked by Esposito.

Pure speculation dept: Maybe Spidey was originally too vertical and interfered with the trade dress and/or the many dialogue balloons.  That's a lot of speaking roles for a cover! :)

Edited by The Shoveler

On 12/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, cesium_7 said:

The nice thing about seeing the original art is that it often provides definitive answers about the artists, though sometimes it just creates additional questions. :) 

The last HA auction had a very cool Starlin "Mighty World of Marvel" UK Hulk cover with inks attributed to Sinnott.  At the top of the page, it even had a notation where somebody wrote "Maybe Sinnott."  But the inks look like Milgrom too me.

Mighty World of Marvel #18 Hulk Starlin & Milgrom NOT Sinnott HA Nov 17.jpg

Edited by The Shoveler

57 minutes ago, The Shoveler said:

The last HA auction had a very cool Starlin "Mighty World of Marvel" UK Hulk cover with inks attributed to Sinnott.  At the top of the page, it even had a notation where somebody wrote "Maybe Sinnott."  But the inks look like Milgrom too me.

Mighty World of Marvel #18 Hulk Starlin & Milgrom NOT Sinnott HA Nov 17.jpg

I saw a recent FB discussion about who the inker on this one was.  Someone asked Milgrom and he thought it was Sinnott.  Lots of different opinions, but seeemed like Giacoia was the most popular choice, Sinnott second, while several other inkers were proposed.  I did discover an earlier for sale listing for this, back around 2002, and it was listed as Starlin/Giacoia back then.

Joe Sinnott's son, Mark, has all of Joe's art records.  He's never been willing to share them with me, but maybe I can get someone else to get a hold of them to check out his British work. 

It's amazing how the same piece of art can create so many different opinions as to the artist/s. :)

Edited by cesium_7
update

9 minutes ago, cesium_7 said:

I saw a recent FB discussion about who the inker on this one was.  Someone asked Milgrom and he thought it was Sinnott.  Lots of different opinions, but seeemed like Giacoia was the most popular choice, Sinnott second, while several other inkers were proposed.  I did discover an earlier for sale listing for this, back around 2002, and it was listed as Starlin/Giacoia back then.

Can you share a link to that FB page?  I rarely go to FaceBorg, but I'd enjoy seeing the different perspectives on this one.

11 minutes ago, cesium_7 said:

It's amazing how the same piece of art can create so many different opinions as to the artist/s. :)

x1000.  It probably says a lot more about us than it does about the page!  :smile:

Thanks for posting the Avengers cover! 

David Wenzel was one of the more prolific British Marvel artists, drawing about 140 new splash pages, covers, and pinups for them.  He drew 5 other British Avengers covers: issues 135, 137, 141, 142, and 145, several of which have recently hit the OA market, which I post here.  Inked by the likes of Sinnott, Milgrom, and Vohland (not Vaughn. :))

Last year David came across a sketch book from 1976 which contained about 40 pages of preliminary sketches for his British Marvel work (in addition to a bunch of other material).  An Irish OA collector purchased it from him (for something like $500) and posted them on his comicartfans account.  A very cool discovery, with some nice artwork.

Jason

a135 17APRIL76 wenzel.jpg

a137.jpg

a141 29MAY76 bender dont know.jpg

a142 wenzel milgrom.jpg

a145 wenzel vohland.jpg