• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB - Speedball (seriously)

31 posts in this topic

I also wanted to ask if people had any idea about the availability of the Speedball pages. I have seen one cover on Coollines that is going for $14000 (it was $6000 a year ago but it is their book and they can ask whatever they like).

Does anyone have a feel if they are all just in private collections or are they in Ditko's apartment being used as coasters ?.

Since Ditko didn't ink the series himself, a good percentage of pages and some covers were returned to his inkers.  I owned and sold three panel pages in the early 2000's and still own the splash page 1 to issue 1.  That was the first piece of art I ever bought in 1995, so sorry not selling.  If you're patient, I'm sure a page will show up again at some point.  Good luck and Happy New Year!

I hadn't thought about the fact he wasn't the inker before. That is a great point. One of the things that 'concerns' me is I don't even see the pages on Google images or Comic Art Fans. Hopefully I can find one!

19 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

I hadn't thought about the fact he wasn't the inker before. That is a great point. One of the things that 'concerns' me is I don't even see the pages on Google images or Comic Art Fans. Hopefully I can find one!

Have you started emailing the inkers?

When I 1st started collecting OA i found a treasure trove (of stuff maybe only I wanted) of stuff hidden away with inkers.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, ignimbrite said:

Great idea about the inker. I gave it a shot and turned up empty.

....sigh. ?

The pages I bought in the mid 90's to early 2000's came from Jackson Guice and Bruce Patterson so I know they sold some if not all of their pages long ago.  Chris Ivy had a page for sale about a year ago -- not sure if he's the inker you tried contacting or not.  He may have only inked one Ditko story though.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:51 PM, tlatner said:

A page just showed up for sale -- but it's not cheap.  700 euros and Speedball isn't even in costume: http://www.artefumetto.it/fumetto.asp?id=1736

Thank you for letting me know. I want a page but that seems a little steep for not having the character in costume.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:19 PM, ignimbrite said:

Thank you for letting me know. I want a page but that seems a little steep for not having the character in costume.

Yeah agreed.  I could see spending that if he were bouncing around, but there's not much happening on that page.   Keep watching comicartfans, eBay and Heritage and maybe a better one will turn up soon.  

By the way, I did end up posting my Speedball splash this week -- but definitely not looking to sell:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1446872&GSub=187864

Edited by tlatner

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will keep checking the normal places. My only 'concern' is I can't often find past auctions where these were available. They don't even come up when you search Google Images (well a few due).

5 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

There are times like I realize how little I know about OA yet. I would not have guessed that piece would have such a high starting price.

(Still going to monitor it though!)

Urania auctions always have (too) high starting prices and their lots often don't hit the reserve. For instance, in the previous Urania auction (nov 2017) only 31% of their lots have been sold. You can also try to buy it aftersale but I don't think they will accept it below this starting price.

5 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

There are times like I realize how little I know about OA yet. I would not have guessed that piece would have such a high starting price.

(Still going to monitor it though!)

There’s a New Warriors #1 page with Speedball in action on ebay (by Bagley), that’s at Best Offer for less than half that.