• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your HOLY grail thread
6 6

81 posts in this topic

Being a Wolverine fanatic, my obvious holy grail would be Incredible Hulk 181, and I own three copies at the moment.  To a lesser extent, let's call them holy pint glasses, I also have 9.8s of 180 and 182.

So let's take a different approach here, where I'll highlight the book that got me back into collecting.  I was in fourth grade when I really started buying comics in earnest, until Marvel released the Fatal Attractions storyline.  WHICH I ABSOLUTELY HATED.  Wolverine gets done dirty because of Jean Grey's psycho babble nonsense, and then he still wouldn't let her fly out the hatch and burn up on re-entry when the Blackbird started falling apart.  Almost 25 years later it still aggravates me a bit.  Anyway, disgust led to a seven-ish year comic boycott.  Maybe a bit melodramatic in retrospect, but I was a kid, so cut me some slack!  :bigsmile: 

Moving ahead to one fine summer day in 2000 (Wolverine 153 was new on the rack at the time), all that boycott stuff ended when I found a copy of this in the back issue box at the LCS:

2726607_DetailsThumb_Obv.jpg?t=Ny8yLzIwM

This isn't the exact copy, I picked this particular one up as a Universal 9.8 before having it signed by Larsen, and unfortunately I'm not sure if I still have that first copy I bought since I had 5 or 6 at one point.  But to say this was a pivotal book for me would be an understatement, this hobby has been and continues to be such a blast.  I can't imagine what life would have been like had a I actually stayed away for good. 

My Holy Grail would be an AF15 6.0 or higher with a nice wrap and White Pages... *cough,cough* @SpideyFein (worship)

My favorite book however and personal grail is Amazing Spider-Man #300.  I’ve never been happier collecting than when I secured my first CGC 9.8 Newsstand Edition.  I will always be grateful to these boards for helping make that connection happen.

D268D1A1-CE65-40C0-8CFD-6AB1B4FA2575.jpeg

3 hours ago, DST said:

My Holy Grail would be an AF15 6.0 or higher with a nice wrap and White Pages... *cough,cough* @SpideyFein (worship)

My favorite book however and personal grail is Amazing Spider-Man #300.  I’ve never been happier collecting than when I secured my first CGC 9.8 Newsstand Edition.  I will always be grateful to these boards for helping make that connection happen.

D268D1A1-CE65-40C0-8CFD-6AB1B4FA2575.jpeg

I love the 300 9.8 Newsstand. Very nice! I had a 9.8 direct, but it was a victim of the major restructuring of the collection. I don’t even own a 300 now. You have some beautiful books! Regarding my AF, I was hesitant to make the big move, but I went for it! I will always be grateful to these boards and awesome boardies as well! I don’t care what they say, I love these boards! 

33 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

I love the 300 9.8 Newsstand. Very nice! I had a 9.8 direct, but it was a victim of the major restructuring of the collection. I don’t even own a 300 now. You have some beautiful books! Regarding my AF, I was hesitant to make the big move, but I went for it! I will always be grateful to these boards and awesome boardies as well! I don’t care what they say, I love these boards! 

Thanks!  Can’t say enough about your AF15...well worth the big move in going for it IMHO.  Absolutely  stellar!!!!!

On 12/30/2017 at 11:23 AM, Doc Joe said:

Grail because duh...I loved the reprints growing up of golden age WW and Flash , Really want to add a Whiz 2(1) to the collection and a Flash comics 1 but very happy to have secured this book 

IMG_8208.jpg

So Jealous!

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

The planets were aligned the day I was able to buy this book. Had to sell quite a bit but no major regrets.

AFE3C777-2E92-49B5-9475-F2A89FB87B37.jpeg

There are many books that are tops on peoples lists that I own. This however is my one true grail, and probably will never own one.:sorry:

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

The planets were aligned the day I was able to buy this book. Had to sell quite a bit but no major regrets.

AFE3C777-2E92-49B5-9475-F2A89FB87B37.jpeg

There are many books that are tops on peoples lists that I own. This however this is my one true grail, and probably will never own one.:sorry:

Edited by oakman29

20 hours ago, pickycollector said:

I guess my #1 would be this one.

Very solid 8.0, I wish all 8.0's were always that nice, probably would get a 8.5 on a straight resub.

Great centering, full stamp, full issue number square, cannot ask for better.

jim83cgc80fc.thumb.jpg.972be6ce92203ab0677c0d3c612f4e71.jpg

Love it !

On 12/30/2017 at 9:01 AM, Brando- said:

This grail is a piece that I originally missed when first offered online, I saved the scan and tortured myself for some time. This book was certified in 2011 and first listed on Worldwide Comics shortly after, a site I check multiple times a day. By the time I saw the listing the sale was already pending. Two years later the piece was listed on ComicLink, thankfully the book was previewed a few months before the auction opened, giving me time to plan and save. My max bid was actually reached the first night of the auction, to my surprise (and relief) no one else bid there after, I thought for sure a respected boardie with a penchant for DC 100 pagers would go after this. I opened a bottle of champagne when I received this book, I’m still grateful for the second chance on this. 

This awesome Nick Cardy cover caught my eye when I was 12 and just starting on comic books. At the time this book seemed really old since it was published before I was born. Superman with a big smile on his face and opening up a giant copy of Action Comics to unleash DC’s finest from its pages captured my imagination. One summer in college I came across a decent copy at my local comic shop for $10.00. That copy was such a treat for me, I finally had it after what would have been almost a decade since I saw the cover for the first time as a kid. I'd also hear about how difficult these square-bound, 100 pages giants were to find in high grade over the years, I thought I would have to settle for a lower grade to get a nice certified copy, I was wrong. 

1974558_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMzAvMjAxNyAxMDowMDo1MSBBTQ%3d%3d

I have one of those too!

5aa2cd77ae400_Action4439_8F.jpg.3fe00c343c4d452411b1199a065dfcc4.jpg