• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbed. I think it was removed, auto'd w/sticker. I bought, now re-grading. Is it the same book?

6 posts in this topic

I do believe I have a doozy here folks.  In another thread I was griping about the shipping charges that I was given by an auction house, which I felt were so high, they constituted a gratuity.  For a Playboy#1. 1953, signed by Hugh Hefner.

Here's  not ONE, but TWO kickers, that I've been mulling for a week or two, which has since gotten MORE interesting -  after a few observations:

1) The Hefner signature has been verified by JSA (James Spence Authentications). Too bad someone cheaped out and went the 'sticker route' instead of photo documentation by JSA, and had a serial # holo sticker from JSA...affixed to the front cover. I've called and spoken with CGC, and been told that unfortunately, the sticker will affect the grade slightly. I don't have a good answer of "To What Degree?"

=

KICKER #1)  I based my buying price off of the apparent condition of the book and the description as a regular newsstand edition. Turns out  the copy is NOT Newsstand, but the much rarer 'Page 3' version.

KICKER #2) After looking very hard at my copy, knowing it is a page 3,....I'll be damned, but I do believe that the same exact copy I have in my hands, is this one; having been put up for sale a few years ago. Without a signature.   Meaning that someone bought it, broke it out, and had it signed.

Think this is the same copy?  What do you think it will grade at, with the addition of an autograph and a sticker?

OLD ORIGINAL...

================================

p1ha1_zpshlttoibu.jpg

p1ha2_zps7uujcyqr.jpg

p1ha3_zps4r1v7gar.jpg

p1ha4_zpszcbtykw8.jpg

p1ha5_zpsvdvcyz0g.jpg

p1ha6_zpsnppp0jkm.jpg

p1ha7_zpsafgtytku.jpg

p1ha8_zps04whlpfs.jpg

MY Copy... SAME?

===================

p1my1_zpsy1jzqhty.jpg

p1my2_zpsabylhnce.jpg

p1my3_zpszxla19rw.jpg

p1my4_zpsmm4mrufd.jpg

p1my5_zpspdjadeea.jpg

p1my6_zpssmuzdxdm.jpg

Edited by Sackolantern
forgot 1 link, full picture

Good detective work. It seems to be the same copy. Unless the signature was witnessed by CGC, they will not recognize it. The book will probably get a green Qualified label for the signature. Between the Qualified label and the resulting decrease in grade, it was a bad decision by the previous owner. Sorry but I have no idea how much the sticker will hurt. At this grade level, I would hope not too much, maybe a 7.0.  

I also agree that it looks like the same book, with the same creases in the dark areas. I'm not an expert on signatures by any means, but if you google Hugh Hefner's signature, they all look sharp and 'quickly' delivered, like authentic signatures tend to. This looks 'lumpy', as if someone has pencilled a signature and then slowly inked over it to ensure it 'looked' right. Maybe it reflects his age or something, but it looks odd even without the halo that others have mentioned.  Sorry. Hope we're all wrong of course :foryou: