• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix Documentary Show "The Toys That Made Us"
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone on here as seen any of the episodes or have heard about it?  My best friend just told me to watch the episodes especially if you are a toy fan as it talks about the history of the toy and what obstacles/decisions/planing, etc. the toy companies had to face before they made it big with the sales. Also contains some original commercials of the toyline, interviews from the toy creators, and much more.   I'm currently watching the episode on Star Wars and I am enjoying it.  

Is it just me (and my bad hearing) or does the theme song say something about "8 parts" of the series but there are only 4?

Nevertheless, blasted through all 4 while sick and it was great. In a very collaborative field (like comics), everyone wants to singularly take credit for the big ideas.

16 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Is it just me (and my bad hearing) or does the theme song say something about "8 parts" of the series but there are only 4?

Nevertheless, blasted through all 4 while sick and it was great. In a very collaborative field (like comics), everyone wants to singularly take credit for the big ideas.

I haven't looked through the whole season 1 yet, but I thought I saw a glimpse of season 2 already out? Might be another 4 episodes in there? Of course I could be wrong since it was late at night and fairly tired.

4 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

ive watched them all except for the barbie one. Some neat insights into the obtaining the rights to the toy lines etc. I enjoyed it.

Same - saw all of them except Barbie.  I think the G.I. Joe one was the best; Jim Shooter and Larry Hama are among those interviewed.  The Star Wars one could have done with a broader range of interviewees IMO to add more depth to the narrative.  I liked the MOTU one simply because I knew a lot less about that franchise than Joe or Star Wars.  

I wouldn't say it's must-see viewing, but, it's entertaining stuff...you can easily put it on in the background while doing something else.   

1 hour ago, yelfleece said:

Second four episodes are coming out later in the year focusing on Lego, Transformers, Hello Kitty, and Star Trek

Can't wait for the Transformers episode. The Masters of the Universe was my favorite from the first bunch.

Talk about jogging a memory...

I was born in 1981 and I remember asking my single parent mom when I was 4 or 5 for my first themed birthday cake to be Heman :)

I didn't have a lot of action figures as a kid, I had a few like wolverine, toy soldiers, Stretch Armstrong, but then came video games...oh and I got my Heman cake ^^

I've only seen the Masters of the Universe episode. I had most of the He-Man toys as a kid, I was born in '82. By the time I wanted the toys, the line was dying, I got most of mine through a yard sale. I still have all my toys, the episode came with a major revelation. I can't believe I never thought of this before, but the mini comics that came with the figures. That was the first seed that lead to collecting comics! 

The episode was great, very entertaining, especially the stories about how the comics and cartoons were thought up on the fly. It was also interesting to learn about how He-Man was really a reaction to Star Wars with the themes of power and space. I don't know if I'll watch any of the other episodes or not. 

13 minutes ago, D-Optimist said:

great show I expect a transformers episode for the new season...

Didn't it just come out though? What I mean is, is there an expected new season? When? lol 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

4 more episodes coming...Transformers, Hello Kitty, Lego and something I forget

Cool Thanks :) Transformers and Lego definitely have a long history that should be cool. Hello Kitty? Didn't that start overseas? Either way it'll help my knowledge on the subject...

As "American" as Barbie is, I just couldn't get into it..... perhaps I'll go back and try again.