• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 61 Questions

17 posts in this topic

So every time you see Action 61, it's always accompanied by the description "atomic radiation cover". What evidence is there that this is what the cover depicts? As I look at the cover, I see Supe putting out an oil fire; note the oil rigs in the background. Does anyone have any info on this?

And...the image of the book is one I found on the net, and I note an odd code in the A of Action - is this an Okajima?

Thanks for your time!  --ElJay

Action_Comics_61.jpg

4 hours ago, EBE said:

So every time you see Action 61, it's always accompanied by the description "atomic radiation cover". What evidence is there that this is what the cover depicts? As I look at the cover, I see Supe putting out an oil fire; note the oil rigs in the background. Does anyone have any info on this?

And...the image of the book is one I found on the net, and I note an odd code in the A of Action - is this an Okajima?

Action_Comics_61.jpg

I believe this has been discussed before and you are correct.  He's putting out a fire at an oil drilling operation.  I think the asbestos suits worn by the two workers made some people think (mistakenly) that atomic radiation is involved.

Actually, story has nothing to do with radiation or oil rigs at all !!  It has Supes putting out a fire at a night club.

A good Thread to start might be :

"Post your Golden Age Classic covers that depict scenes that have nothing to do with the story inside "

2 hours ago, fishbone said:

Actually, story has nothing to do with radiation or oil rigs at all !!  It has Supes putting out a fire at a night club.

A good Thread to start might be :

"Post your Golden Age Classic covers that depict scenes that have nothing to do with the story inside "

Seems as if a whole lot of them might fit that category.  A shorter list might be covers that did have something to do with the story inside!

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, EBE said:

Action_Comics_61.jpg

The reason it's described as an atomic radiation cover is because Overstreet says it is.  just like they claim Action #29 is the 1st Lois Lane cover. 

Thanks for the responses!

But what about the code in the A of Action? It resembles some of the codes on Okajima's but it's also different from the ones I've seen. Okajima? Or unknown?

--ElJay

Edited by EBE

On 1/1/2018 at 5:00 AM, EBE said:

Thanks for the responses!

But what about the code in the A of Action? It resembles some of the codes on Okajima's but it's also different from the ones I've seen. Okajima? Or unknown?

--ElJay

That's my old copy.  It's not a pedigree...

action61.jpg

Edited by nearmint

I'm probably one of many who has pointed this out to Overstreet.  At the time this book came out, oil fires were a hot topic for movies.  Let's see, what comes up aflame from a pipe in the ground....atomic radiation, of course....:idea:

Edited by Spaceguy
spelling mistake

That's a beautiful 5.5!  

OK, I'll try a very creative and maybe novel interpretation, in the light most favorable to the current Overstreet description: see all the black smoke depicted as coming from behind the field of oil dereks in the background (must be, as the dereks are clear, not engulfed in, or blurred by, smoke)?  Well, all of that darkness and smoke is emanating from an atomic blast that has sparked fires and set off the oil field blaze in its "sphere of radiation."   Full Disclosure: not sure what my wife added to my coffee this a.m.  :bigsmile:    

Edited by LearnedHand