• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought book off eBay
1 1

281 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:
44 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

How the heck do you think it’s ok for someone to label a book with tears, holes, staples and tape as a nice copy??

Your continual insistence on hinging your entire argument on the seller's  use of the word "nice" is bringing you down.  It is clear to see that this book is a mess.  If the seller had used the word "mint" and posted the same pictures, would you have bought it, also, and expected a better book? 

probably would based on the purchase of that Fantastic Four with the writing on it AND the re was even a close up picture of that writing included in the listing.

I tried giving advice several times. But this guy is either trolling us or ignorant to the advice. They seem to think that we care about the seller a calling the book nice. Or that them admitting they made the mistake matters. What matters is that they continue to fight a losing battle over one word in the title of an ebay listing as being some sort of indicator of what to expect from a book. Clearly this person is a novice collector and instead of doing any sort of leg work or research on collecting, they buy something and then start asking questions. Told them to lurk and read but they ignored all that and simply come back with the same nonsense about blame and "nice copy". That is troll activity imo-- and it is not even the first time they have done it on these boards-- same exact situation with the FF book. .

Edited by 01TheDude

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, Yodisd said:

Hi,  I just bought an amazing Spider-Man 29 off eBay for 17 dollars (plus 5 for shipping). There were pictures but couldn’t tell much, but the listing said it was a nice copy. When I got the book it was in brutal shape.  I think the front cover was detached because there were staples all along the binding. Also there was a long strip of tape on top of the staples along the binding. There were also rips on the top and bottom of the cover. I contacted the seller to see if he accepted returns and he said he didn’t and asked what the issue was. I told him the book was in really rough shape and he said it was a nice copy. He said I should’ve been able to tell the shape if it from the pictures . Ultimately he said he’d accept a return or if I wanted he would refund me five bucks and I could keep the book. That is what I chose to do. What do you think?

I'm a new member here, I go out and pick and dig for comics all of the time at yard sales, antiques shops, estate sales, and thrift shops, I wanna see the comic and feel it, touch it, look at it, Just because a comic is selling for a low price doesn't mean it's a good deal on E bay. look at the pictures, look at the guys feedback, ask questions if your not sure. A cheap and good lesson learned here for anyone who buys on the internet. By the way, Have a Happy New Years, Everyone! Your new friend; Vietnam67

2 minutes ago, Vietnam67 said:

I'm a new member here, I go out and pick and dig for comics all of the time at yard sales, antiques shops, estate sales, and thrift shops, I wanna see the comic and feel it, touch it, look at it, Just because a comic is selling for a low price doesn't mean it's a good deal on E bay. look at the pictures, look at the guys feedback, ask questions if your not sure. A cheap and good lesson learned here for anyone who buys on the internet. By the way, Have a Happy New Years, Everyone! Your new friend; Vietnam67

Happy New Years and welcome to the boards bud.

7 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

There is no need for the name calling and the threats here.  He is clearly a novice comic collector/buyer.  But there is really no need to threaten by blocking him and calling him a clown.  Really not necessary in any way.

No one is faulting him for being a rookie.

The fact that he continues to blame the seller when no blame is warranted on the part of the seller is a big reason why people will end up blocking the OP. The inability of the OP to completely accept that he is in the wrong, while pushing blame on the seller without warrant...those are character flaws, not collecting flaws.

And how exactly is blocking someone on a message board threatening in anyway? Don't other people have the right to protect themselves from toxic customers, who have no other recourse of action but to publicly out an innocent seller over a reasonable auction? The OP was willing to risk damaging the seller's reputation, and since he is found in error, he should naturally accept the backlash to his own reputation.

People need to learn how to accept blame for their own poor actions. He bid on the auction NINE TIMES without bothering to look at the scans or read the auction and I'm supposed to feel sorry for the OP because the seller described it as a "nice" book? That doesn't fly with me.

If the OP said "you're right, it's my fault. I've learned a lesson."

Then no one would be talking about placing him on ignore lists.

I think it's irresponsible to coddle someone for bad behavior. I wouldn't do it for my own child, and I'm not about to do it for a grown adult.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

probably would based on the purchase of that Fantastic Four with the writing on it AND the re was even a close up picture of that writing included in the listing.

I tried giving advice several times. But this guy is either trolling us or ignorant to the advice. They seem to think that we care about the seller a calling the book nice. Or that them admitting they made the mistake matters. What matters is that they continue to fight a losing battle over one word in the title of an ebay listing as being some sort of indicator of what to expect from a book. Clearly this person is a novice collector and instead of doing any sort of leg work or research on collecting, they buy something and then start asking questions. Told them to lurk and read but they ignored all that and simply come back with the same nonsense about blame and "nice copy". That is troll activity imo-- and it is not even the first time they have done it on these boards-- same exact situation with the FF book. .

The likely answer is that it is a novice collector as well as a young person. I don't say this to be nasty simply, the course of the 'discussion' leads me to believe this. It is fair to acknowledge that some people have less life experience than many here and, therefore, something like this is a much bigger deal to them than it would be to you or me. 

Honestly, I don’t know why so many people are attacking me and mad at me. I admit I am very, very new to comic book collecting and there is a ton I don’t know. I don’t think I ever put blame on the seller or said he wronged me in any way. I admitted several times I was wrong for not looking at the pictures better. For whatever reason, I have a hard time judging the conditions of the comics by looking at scans.  When I contacted the seller, I never accused him of any wrongdoing I just wondered if he accepted returns of which I was willing to pay the shipping ( I maybe could’ve called eBay for full money return and made a decent case but I didn’t). When he said he’d take the return I was thankful but the HE came up with the suggestion of a partial refund at which I suggested five dollars ( could’ve demanded ten, which I didn’t) and he was grateful. My whole reason for my post wasn’t to seek validation for being wronged but rather just to share my experience and see if maybe others had similar ones. Before I knew it I was being attacked and hated against.  I have been told by several people that it is ok to tell people that a comic book with tears, holes, rips, tape and staples is a nice copy. I respectfully disagree but if that is how the comic book works works then ok, thank you fir letting me know.  Honestly, I did not seek pity or to complain when I made this post and I’m sorry to anyone I made extremely upset. Thank you to anyone who gave me constructive feedback. Hopefully I won’t make the same mistake in the future and be able to judge the condition of the scans better but like I said for whatever reason it’s difficult for me to do so. After the first time I made that mistake I diligently read the item description, which is another thing I felt the seller could have done better but again, not pointing fault at him. Hopefully I’ll learn from this in many ways! Thanks everyone!!

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

The fact that he continues to blame the seller when no blame is warranted on the part of the seller is a big reason why people will end up blocking the OP. The inability of the OP to completely accept that he is in the wrong, while pushing blame on the seller without warrant...those are character flaws, not collecting flaws.

And how exactly is blocking someone on a message board threatening in anyway? Don't other people have the right to protect themselves from toxic customers, who have no other recourse of action but to publicly out an innocent seller over a reasonable auction? The OP was willing to risk damaging the seller's reputation, and since he is found in error, he should naturally accept the backlash to his own reputation.

People need to learn how to accept blame for their own poor actions. He bid on the auction NINE TIMES without bothering to look at the scans or read the auction and I'm supposed to feel sorry for the OP because the seller described it as a "nice" book? That doesn't fly with me.

I think it's irresponsible to coddle someone for bad behavior. I wouldn't do it for my own child, and I'm not about to do it for a grown adult.

oh he keeps admitting it was his fault but wants ANSWERS as to whether it was fair to call the book a "nice copy". My question is why does it matter?

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

This will be the sixth time I admitted I was wrong for not looking at the pictures better. I just felt it wasn’t right to label a book with tears, holes, tape and staples as a nice copy. I have been told by several people on here that is ok. Now I know. Thanks 

3 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

oh he keeps admitting it was his fault but wants ANSWERS as to whether it was fair to call the book a "nice copy". My question is why does it matter?

I just didn’t know it was ok to label a book with holes, tears, rips, tape and staples as a nice copy. Now I do! Thanks!

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I agree but i Block people without telling them.  A lot of people on these boards love to Block people and make sure to let them know they will be blocked.  There is a big difference.  Other than that I agree with everything else you said.  Thanks

Seller wrote me back---

seller's response:

"Hey thanks for letting me know. The guy was at least nice about it but kind of dumb. I said to him that I was sorry about the nice copy line bet you could see everything wrong in the photos and that he paid the least in all the recent sales for a ASM 29 even though it was a rough copy. I told him I’d give him $5 back and it went pretty smooth. Here is his name: ................. he has 14 feedback

Thanks"

7 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

This will be the sixth time I admitted I was wrong for not looking at the pictures better. I just felt it wasn’t right to label a book with tears, holes, tape and staples as a nice copy. I have been told by several people on here that is ok. Now I know. Thanks 

Listen you ever date a girl you thought is a 10 and your friends think shes a 6?  Its the same thing here.  Looks/Grade is in the eye of the beholder my friend.  He thought it was nice for the age probably.  He has the right to say that, just look at pics from now on and if not sure dont bid and move on.  Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:
1 hour ago, Yodisd said:

How the heck do you think it’s ok for someone to label a book with tears, holes, staples and tape as a nice copy??

yeah-- welcome to my ignore pile. I had cleaned it out before Christmas but you are officially on the list.

I would like to point out that I have not put this person on ignore yet.  I don't count this as threatening to do so either.

I wrote this for one simple reason. They ignored all of what I wrote and then repeated the same exact text blurb (it has been repeated in almost every post they have made-- thus the troll thought crossing my mind). So I slapped this little rebuff instead of saying something really nasty.

@SOLAR BOY is correct that I did call them a clown. I apologize for that- I admit that was wrong of me (and I will continue to admit this). But wouldn't you call that guy a clown after reading those posts?

(see what I did there?)

Edited by 01TheDude

15 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:
24 minutes ago, Yodisd said:

Listen you ever date a girl you thought is a 10 and your friends think shes a 6?  Its the same thing here.  Looks/Grade is in the eye of the beholder my friend.  He thought it was nice for the age probably.  He has the right to say that, just look at pics from now on and if not sure dont bid and move on.  Lesson learned.

My ebay feedback number is 1627 with 2584 positive feedback received.  I don't know what that all means.  But I can say, I still miss things in scans and item descriptions from time to time.

My latest scare was with some dealer that had 90% of his auctions with a restored item description, but not in the title of the auction.  I bid on the item I wanted first, without reading the description.  Then started looking through all his other items and said, "Oh Carp....., everything is restored...., "

Luckily, when I went back over the description on my item it miraculously said "not restored", and I verified that when the item came in. 

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My ebay feedback number is 1627 with 2584 positive feedback received.  I don't know what that all means.  But I can say, I still miss things in scans and item descriptions from time to time.

My latest scare was with some dealer that had 90% of his auctions with a restored item description, but not in the title of the auction.  I bid on the item I wanted first, without reading the description.  Then started looking through all his other items and said, "Oh Carp....., everything is restored...., "

Luckily, when I went back over the description on my item it miraculously said "not restored", and I verified that when the item came in. 

I don't remember reading that thread here on the boards. Link?

;)

5 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't remember reading that thread here on the boards. Link?

;)

No, because this is my original confession. :foryou: 

And, by the way, I find those selling tactics to be deceptive - all_things_comics  is the seller.

Edited by lizards2