• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought book off eBay
1 1

281 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Yodisd said:

Hey, never once said either I or the seller was right or wrong, just stated what happened. For the record though, the pictures don’t show how bad the book really was, it’s hard to tell tape was all along the binding. I don’t think it would have been too much to ask to have had the defects listed in the item description.  Do you really think it was fair for the seller to refer to it a nice copy? Secondly, what is the purpose of chat boards? To start a discussion, right? That was my intent on posting. It had nothing to do with validation of being wronged as I never stated that I felt I was, I just stated facts of what happened. If you felt I was inferring I was wronged, that’s something you drew from the facts. The purpose of my posting was to start a discussion, get some feedback/opinions and maybe see if anyone had any similar experiences. Lastly, I’m not sure of the extent of your knowledge, but 25 replies to my post is a little ways off from being viral. Thanks.

Grading may be subjective but no honest seller would call this a nice copy, it's a festering rag.  The pictures clearly show that it's a rag.  I can clearly see the tape and see that the book is destroyed.

You're learning a valuable lesson here for cheap.  Do you're due diligence before buying anything.  Pay attention to details, study the pictures closely on a laptop or an ipad - not a phone, and check the seller's feedback.  Realize that there are a lot of bad sellers on ebay, a lot of sellers who can't grade or who will hide condition issues and or restoration.  

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Grading may be subjective but no honest seller would call this a nice copy, it's a festering rag.  The pictures clearly show that it's a rag.  I can clearly see the tape and see that the book is destroyed.

You're learning a valuable lesson here for cheap.  Do you're due diligence before buying anything.  Pay attention to details, study the pictures closely on a laptop or an ipad - not a phone, and check the seller's feedback.  Realize that there are a lot of bad sellers on ebay, a lot of sellers who can't grade or who will hide condition issues and or restoration.  

:facepalm:

great-- here we go again.

12 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
15 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

:facepalm:

great-- here we go agai

:whee:

17 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Thank you 

You didn't get ripped off and honestly the seller shouldn't have offered to refund you, but as I said, I would bet dollars to donuts that seller has blocked you.  If you keep up this behavior you will severely limit the folks willing to do business with you.

Chalk this up to inexperience, give the seller BACK his $5 and apologize for not looking at the pics and LOOK at the books you're bidding on before you bid.  The fact that you couldn't see tape on the spine says you either need a better phone or glasses.  Not being mean, just stating facts.

That would be my advice.

Now having said all that-- we all made really dumb mistakes when we were first starting out-- just learn from them.  I echo the sentiment that there is no need for name calling but understanding the hobby you're getting into is really 101.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that you got your moneys worth. $17 sounds like a readers copy and now you have $5 back...

It really depends on how YOU feel about it. If your going to buy not to read, may I suggest you buy already graded and slabbed copies...

Thank you 

41 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Yep, avoid them

I was surfing ebay last night and came across a comic I was thinking about bidding on. Then I noticed the seller was all_things_comics, and decided not to. Funny thing is, they have 100% positive feedback.

On topic comment ... yes, "nice" is subjective, but one would think logic trumps subjectivity.

This reminds me of those: What should I invest? What should I get signed? what is this and that?

Maybe I'm not phrasing it well enough, but regardless those threads seem to rub people the wrong way sometimes. It doesn't really matter if "I" think this comic was too much $$ or "not as advertised", but it matters to the OP and only he can decide. He asked for "opinions" and got them. I don't think he should be run out of town for ignorance. I honestly thought his original post was inviting constructive criticism, as in, he didn't know what to think and no perspective. The fact that he posed the question proves he has the beginner factor. And I could speculate all day, it isn't going to help.....

Either way, for some, it requires a lot of patience to answer beginner questions. Especially when it seems they want other's to do all the work, whether knowingly or unknowingly. I just hope the OP see's the link to his past threads and reads and understands from a different perspective now :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
commas

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:
1 hour ago, darkstar said:

if you bought a book from all_things_comics it likely is restored. The ones that say they aren't restored just haven't been sold and returned yet for having undisclosed restoration. 

Yep, avoid them

I will from now on, but I could detect no restoration.

44 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:
4 hours ago, WeR138 said:

"Nice" is SO vague.

Now "vintage" and "CGC worthy", you can take that to the bank!

My favorite is when they say "never read!"

Used as toilet paper, but never read!  :banana: