• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, LearnedHand said:

I'm not a certified expert on Mac's work, but I've studied it in depth for years and did a fair amount of research for the Overstreet article.  From memory, I think most Master covers after #51 (June 1944) and Captain Marvel Jr. after #20 (June 1944) are not done by Mac - excluding of course those that regurgitate renderings he did before moving on to Crossen in mid-1944.  True, he had an arrangement with Fawcett after moving to Crossen where he would still do the occasional Capt. Marvel Jr. cover when he had the time, but the only covers I feel certain are truly Mac's work after CMJ #20 - again, not counting regurgitated renderings - are CMJ ##22 and 25.  Maybe I'm missing 1 or 2.  I'm a bit surprised at the "Mac covert art" label given by CGC to some books that are quite likely not Mac's work, regurgitated or otherwise ...

Good discussion.  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
50 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

lf_zpsoqwmvwkj-2.JPG

agreed, 3 ain't a classic.  it's not easy in grade, tho'--very nice copy here.

I actually like the cover - more for the dynamics of the boy's parade - Raboy made it look like fun and who wouldn't want shorts like some of the kids are wearing.  It is a nice copy for sure.  

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

love 'em, one and all.

+1

In terms of Raboy covers from my own personal point of view, nothing can really beat those classic covers from his early Master run in the 20's and 30's.  :cloud9:

Only problem is that they must be locked away in long held private collections as you very seldom ever see them available in the marketplace, especially in grade.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

19 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

This is probably in the top three favorite Raboy covers for me and I was quite fortunate to pick up the Church copy many years ago. 

Ken

IMG_0651.JPG

Phenomenal cover and one of my favorites as well, thanks for sharing this pic of your exceptional copy.  Beautiful colors... :applause:

13 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

this thread not complete without this one.

master25.jpg

Love the pilot getting nailed in the back of the head by his vertical stabilizer; Captain Marvel Jr.'s clawed hands indicating he's not done yet kicking butt and taking names...  :luhv:

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

8 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

love the colors on this copy!  my uc was washed-out looking in comparison.

master38.jpg

Wow, that's where it is!  I owned this copy (same pencil marking) eons ago and the colors are spectacular - better by far than the Church copy (in my humble opinion), as I've held them both together in my right and left hands.  In fact, this copy has the best cover colors I've ever seen on this book, full stop.  I had a very hard time letting it go, but ultimately, I was offered my choice of the Crowleys and went for it - it's a CGC 9.4 with double cover (my iPhone doesn't do it justice), and i'm a sucker for double covers from this era.     

IMG_3279.JPG

Edited by LearnedHand

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

not seen as one of his classics, but i think this is a great portrait of the cap't.  had to clip off the offending label.

cm18-1.jpg

I've never even seen that cover before.  What a beauty! 

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

In terms of Raboy covers from my own personal point of view, nothing can really beat those classic covers from his early Master run in the 20's and 30's.  :cloud9:

Only problem is that they must be locked away in long held private collections as you very seldom ever see them available in the marketplace, especially in grade.  :frown:

Actually, a number of the MH copies, many still raw, have been sold in private sales in the last few years.