• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2018 at 1:22 PM, telerites said:

This one may have been posted already.  I had forgotten Raboy did this cover.   Would love to add a #1 and #3 but the #3 is a toughie.

raboy.thumb.jpg.4fee0834079a4b5e8054af81d31c59c5.jpg

One of my favs.  I've mentioned this before, but the writers at Fawcett hadn't yet figured out that the Japanese weren't Mongols.  

48 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

don't you think a 6.0 would suit you better?

agc.jpg

I love the colors on your copy.  I'll have to pull mine out to jog my memory as to whether that's a bad scan or it really is as washed out as it appears. 

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

it doesn't look washed-out at all to me!

Your FACE is washed out!

Ok guys...hear me out for a sec. I don't know if this observation has been mentioned before, and if it has forgive me, i couldn't find any Thread mentions through searches. . 

I love 'discovering' or at least opening the doors for conversation about uncredited / 'unrealized' artist works (Matt Baker Atlas / Quality works anyone?), and or comic book firsts. And yes, i know how it usually went down over at Fawcett and it seems hard lined: Beck Capt. Marvel/Whiz , Raboy Cap. Jr./Master Schaffenberger Marvel Family. 

Wow and Mary Marvel was another issue. Most notable is Swazye, but it seems she had rotating cover artist. 

BUT.....

I was looking at this cover very closely lately and though I have only seen credits (with a '?' no less) to Jack Binder, I think that was just a guess. I have seen many examples of Binders work and i don't see it here 'strongly'. 

Hold on to your hats: I think this may be a Raboy cover :whatthe:, at least penciled anyway but because he's so closely associated with Cap Jr, i don't think any one took the time to closely analyze other Fawcett covers he may have had a hand in. 

I have provided close ups of images of other Raboy works pulled from online that resemble aspects of the Wow cover (the children's faces, Mary's toned lean figure and face). This will probably be ignored or laughed at, but i think with a closer look, some sharp eyed Boardies may agree , it's a possibility hm

Wow Comics #13.jpg

IMG_4743.JPG

On 2/15/2019 at 5:16 PM, sagii said:

I have provided close ups of images of other Raboy works pulled from online that resemble aspects of the Wow cover (the children's faces, Mary's toned lean figure and face). This will probably be ignored or laughed at, but i think with a closer look, some sharp eyed Boardies may agree , it's a possibility hm

Wow Comics #13.jpg

Mac did do other Fawcett title book cover art, most notably Bulletman #10 which is one of my most favorite Raboy covers.  Mary does show his signature under chin neck shadow, Raboy-esque supple hands and Bob Rogers heavy ink style.  With an on sale date of April 9, 1943 it was published before Mac left Fawcett in '44 to draw for Spark Publications.

It's certainly probable. The simple nose shadow is very Mac Raboy in my mind.  You have a sharp eye!  :smile:

56 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Mac did do other Fawcett title book cover art, most notably Bulletman #10 which is one of my most favorite Raboy covers.  Mary does show his signature under chin neck shadow, Raboy-esque supple hands and Bob Rogers heavy ink style.  With an on sale date of April 9, 1943 it was published before Mac left Fawcett in '44 to draw for Spark Publications.

It's certainly probable. The simple nose shadow is very Mac Raboy in my mind.  You have a sharp eye!  :smile:

:shy:

You were 1 of 3 Boardies whose feedback on this I was most looking forward too. I appreciate the open mind and not just only accepting what's always been predetermined, (especially from a Raboy aficionado/ enthusiast ). 

I will write Overstreet and CGC on this just to get 'official' awareness and conversation/consideration going on this.

Again, thanks for the feedback. We collectors are the keepers/historians of all things in this wonderful wonderful Hobby (thumbsu

1 hour ago, sagii said:

:shy:

You were 1 of 3 Boardies whose feedback on this I was most looking forward too. I appreciate the open mind and not just only accepting what's always been predetermined, (especially from a Raboy aficionado/ enthusiast ). 

I will write Overstreet and CGC on this just to get 'official' awareness and conversation/consideration going on this.

Again, thanks for the feedback. We collectors are the keepers/historians of all things in this wonderful wonderful Hobby (thumbsu

I'm most humbled and thank you for the compliment.  I was incubating the Wow Comics #13 cover art question in the back of my mind whilst nursing a cup of coffee and there's also one alternative consideration regarding Mary's cape florets - somethings Mark Swayze never included in his drawings of Mary Marvel, Mac Raboy rarely only a handful of occasions with Captain Marvel Jr. and C.C. Beck fairly almost always....

80173132_CCBeckCapeFlorets.png.821be250219b6a55c62d873e39d2b1b4.png

I'd almost venture to say this is actually a C.C. Beck and Pete Costanza inked cover art.  Just food for thought as Beck and Costanza were doing quite a few Fawcett covers in early '43 when this issue was published and they look similar to C.C. Beck penciled cape florets. hm