• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

I'm most humbled and thank you for the compliment.  I was incubating the Wow Comics #13 cover art question in the back of my mind whilst nursing a cup of coffee and there's also one alternative consideration regarding Mary's cape florets - somethings Mark Swayze never included in his drawings of Mary Marvel, Mac Raboy rarely only a handful of occasions with Captain Marvel Jr. and C.C. Beck fairly almost always....

80173132_CCBeckCapeFlorets.png.821be250219b6a55c62d873e39d2b1b4.png

I'd almost venture to say this is actually a C.C. Beck and Pete Costanza inked cover art.  Just food for thought as Beck and Costanza were doing quite a few Fawcett covers in early '43 when this issue was published and they look similar to C.C. Beck penciled cape florets. hm

So are you saying Beck and Costanza collaboration, or either Beck or Costanza inking Raboy and adding those touches? Fascinating you know all those subtle differences between the artists capes 

Great alternative possibilities. At least you seem to agree it's not Binder.

I'm still leaning towards Raboy. Mary's lean lean form , the hands, her face, 'cape billow' ( all very similar to CMJ #4)and the children's faces push it in that direction for me. 

Edited by sagii

45 minutes ago, sagii said:

Great alternative possibilities. At least you seem to agree it's not Binder....

I'm not that up on Jack Binder however this particular heavy cover art doesn't depict his lighter line style.  Keep in mind C.C. Beck could draw anything every which way, as well as mimic other Fawcett artist's drawing styles like Raboy and Swayze as he was adept with all the various techniques of drawing. 

Similar to a few other multi-talented artists like Jim Steranko who has his own unique stylized artistry but can also mimic anything because he's just that exceptionally good of an illustrator. :smile:

1888813311_JackBinderMaryMarvel.jpg.9e24c6a7549d6cf3f6b22241cd0a0066.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

13 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

I'm not that up on Jack Binder however this particular heavy cover art doesn't depict his lighter line style.  Keep in mind C.C. Beck could draw anything every which way, as well as mimic other Fawcett artist's drawing styles like Raboy and Swayze as he was adept with all the various techniques of drawing. 

Similar to a few other multi-talented artists like Jim Steranko who has his own unique stylized artistry but can also mimic anything because he's just that exceptionally good of an illustrator. :smile:

1888813311_JackBinderMaryMarvel.jpg.9e24c6a7549d6cf3f6b22241cd0a0066.jpg

Sweet! One of the sought after Mary covers there! 

...now I could concede Beck 'aping' Swayze to keep a Mary continuity style (you are good at this :D )

But

If this was a Cap Jr cover, I'd cash out. But I can't see why Beck would do  a 'Mary cover' in a Raboy style. But, it's all guesses in the end. Maybe a tie breaker will chime in...

Again, really appreciate the discussion! :tink:

On 12/31/2017 at 4:27 PM, Inaflash said:

I used to own a handful of Raboy cover Church copies but only have a couple of them left, this being one of my favorites that he did.

Ken

IMG_0495.JPG

This is my favourite as well. 

On 12/30/2017 at 11:56 PM, sagii said:

This has always been Raboy's master piece for me. One of the longest books to elude me from my early grail list, my copy is locked up in the 'cold dead hands' vault:D

Master Comics #23.jpg

I don't blame you for locking it up there :D I'd do the same.

@sagii ; In regard to the Wow 13, I see a resemblance in Mary's face to how Swazye drew the cover of #10, but the body in proportion to her head makes me think that it was traced/swiped (or Swazye drew her face and then another artist came in and drew the rest).  Hmmm.....  (shrug)

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

@sagii ; In regard to the Wow 13, I see a resemblance in Mary's face to how Swazye drew the cover of #10, but the body in proportion to her head makes me think that it was traced/swiped (or Swazye drew her face and then another artist came in and drew the rest).  Hmmm.....  (shrug)

It's certainly a possibility.  I love finding these mystery unsigned (and some signed) covers where the original assumed credited artist is probably wrong or an uncredited collaborator. 

Now if I can just get you to 'see' Baker in a few 'assumed' Colletta only covers :baiting: :banana:

Well, not exactly a cover, but I was just going through some stuff to see what I can prune, and found this! 

This is actually my absolute fave Raboy piece of those in my collection.  Done for George Roussos' art book, totally spontaneous, rendered in pencil (no erasures), and has a lot of depth or points of interest if you look closely.

Among other things, it shows he was a southpaw; was ahead of his time in style (got the millenial scruff look - lol); saw the world exploding around him; that this piece was done around 1944, as it has WWII symbolism and Mac working on Green Lama.  Enjoy ...

20200321_131449.jpg