• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's a very atypical Raboy cover, which tend to be simpler and cleaner.  It's like his editor asked him to try to emulate that Schomburg guy at Timely.

astute observation, tim.

here's just such a simple layout that i'm looking to upgrade...

cmj2-1.jpg

23 hours ago, LearnedHand said:

...you gents aren't loving the Green Lama cover even though it's one of Mac's very few painted covers and one he painstakingly did to distinguish it from the typical?    :)

Similar to Michelangelo carving the Pietà at the youthful age of 24; Mac's painting ability at 28 years of age is exemplary in his brush control of blending color and reflection of light.  Not a cover per se but one of my ultimate favorite Raboy art pieces c1942 that reveals a deeper insightful analysis into his artistic mind's eye.   Many artists admire Mac's "detailed simplicity" in his work and I have a difficult time finding any wasted or over-embellished brush strokes anywhere on this twinkle-eyed essence portrait of Captain Marvel Jr..  

Truly superb and wish he painted more in his short but remarkable lifetime... :cloud9:

Mac Raboy Captain Marvel Jr. c1942.jpg

54 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Similar to Michelangelo carving the Pietà at the youthful age of 24; Mac's painting ability at 28 years of age is exemplary in his brush control of blending color and reflection of light.  Not a cover per se but one of my ultimate favorite Raboy art pieces c1942 that reveals a deeper insightful analysis into his artistic mind's eye.   Many artists admire Mac's "detailed simplicity" in his work and I have a difficult time finding any wasted or over-embellished brush strokes anywhere on this twinkle-eyed essence portrait of Captain Marvel Jr..  

Truly superb and wish he painted more in his short but remarkable lifetime... :cloud9:

An astounding piece of art.

Ken

53 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I only have one Raboy...and the guide says it's just part Raboy...:sorry:I wonder which part?

15925349733_c3499258a3_c.jpg

Mac supplied both the cover and "Punching Polties" first story art for this issue.  It's Master Comics #41 he just provided the cover art only, possibly one of his assistants or another Fawcett artist filled in the backgrounds and panel art using Raboy CM Jr. paste-ups for the first story so it's otherwise part Raboy.  :smile:

22 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

astute observation, tim.

here's just such a simple layout that i'm looking to upgrade...

cmj2-1.jpg

:idea: Wow, by an amazing coincidence, there will be an opportunity in the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction to do just that! 

Captain Marvel Jr. 2.jpg

11 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

lawd!