• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Covers of Mac Raboy
3 3

216 posts in this topic

Speak of the devil.  This one just returned after an extended sabbatical in sunnier climes.

There's a 9.8 on the census, but this issue was missing from Edgar's collection according to Chuck's catalog (unless someone nabbed it for some reason pre-catalog) and following the link on GPA, the 9.8 doesn't appear to have been slabbed as a Church copy.  Anyone happen to know the story? 

IMG_1018.jpg

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You know, I never thought to doubt it.  GCD thinks it might be Bud Thompson.  hm

I'm not a certified expert on Mac's work, but I've studied it in depth for years and did a fair amount of research for the Overstreet article.  From memory, I think most Master covers after #51 (June 1944) and Captain Marvel Jr. after #20 (June 1944) are not done by Mac - excluding of course those that regurgitate renderings he did before moving on to Crossen in mid-1944.  True, he had an arrangement with Fawcett after moving to Crossen where he would still do the occasional Capt. Marvel Jr. cover when he had the time, but the only covers I feel certain are truly Mac's work after CMJ #20 - again, not counting regurgitated renderings - are CMJ ##22 and 25.  Maybe I'm missing 1 or 2.  I'm a bit surprised at the "Mac covert art" label given by CGC to some books that are quite likely not Mac's work, regurgitated or otherwise ...

Edited by LearnedHand

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think this one's Mac, although there are doubters (including, apparently, CGC).

RAD34C9C2017116_105530_zps4ypto6dw.JPG

I dunno, something about the face and the general line work makes me think it's not Mac. 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
11 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

like you, i think this is probably mac's work.

master56.jpg

You know, I never thought to doubt it.  GCD thinks it might be Bud Thompson.  hm

Looks like Mac to me.

20 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

here are a couple of edgars.

cmj26.jpg

Yet more good news!  You'll have a chance to reunite this issue with its sibling.

Captain Marvel Jr. 27.jpg

Edited by tth2