• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tonfulle-84 Stan Lee forgeries on eBay
5 5

369 posts in this topic

Just now, Vietnam67 said:

Are you serious, go back and look at the guy's user id on ebay!

I'm making a statement, which you cant stand or don't want to wager! I'm simply stating that I'm will to wager, he is gonna be using the same id selling the same garbage. Now the bet is easy, If he is removed from ebay or stops selling by December you or anybody else will win the bet!

Just now, mattn792 said:

Dude's user ID is tonfulle-84

That is correct on user Id,  As I stated, I'm gonna gamble that e bay doesn't do anything to this guy! I'm not saying he cant go out and use a different name, or website to that matter, I'm just saying, I think nothing is gonna be done! I was just willing to make a friendly wager to Johnson or whoever wanted in on the action!

2 minutes ago, Vietnam67 said:

That is correct on user Id,  As I stated, I'm gonna gamble that e bay doesn't do anything to this guy! I'm not saying he cant go out and use a different name, or website to that matter, I'm just saying, I think nothing is gonna be done! I was just willing to make a friendly wager to Johnson or whoever wanted in on the action!

I was just typing his name short and fast so I could make a point, anyway, I have to run into town and pay some bills. I will be back later to check in to see if there's any takers on my offer!

11 minutes ago, Vietnam67 said:

I was just typing his name short and fast so I could make a point, anyway, I have to run into town and pay some bills. I will be back later to check in to see if there's any takers on my offer!

So you took a minute or so to read my posts and put up your own response, yet couldn't spare the extra 1.7 seconds or so to type out "fulle" to begin with?  Top notch time management.

First off-- I think what this ebay seller is doing totally sucks.

I would not take this type of bet with the noob Vietnam67 (he is trolling this thread whether he knows it or not). I have little faith in ebay stopping the activity short of a massive effort by tons of people to make it happen.

Some have mentioned getting the law involved. While I agree that this is interstate fraud and meets the threshold for some sort of prosecution-- do we really think this is something that law officials are going to champion and aggressively pursue?

Far more effective methods to disrupt this sellers activities might give a better result. If several of us were to setup some new accounts on ebay specifically to screw with this seller only-- we could grind their sales to a halt. It would take some effort but they might get the idea after a bunch of nonpaying situations pop up each week. You would probably have to coordinate that so one user took care of all sales in a given week or so--- then move to the next guy-- etc. And just keep stringing the guy along until strikes bring down the account. Others could buy ones that are super cheap but return them as item not as described claiming third party signature analysis found the item was a forgery.

That last paragraph seems like a ton of effort. I am not saying we should do that-- and I would not be interested in participating either. But the effort needed by the board or by the law officials is the problem here-- seems like only a handful of people are that interested in causing problems for the seller.

My advice-- move on and forget this dude. Throw his name up on the known bad seller websites and other comic communities. But let it go after that. Some people will keep buying this and they get what they deserve for being either greedy or foolish.  People like this suck and they do screw up our hobby on some level. But I would guess not OUR level.

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

My advice-- move on and forget this dude. Throw his name up on the known bad seller websites and other comic communities. But let it go after that. Some people will keep buying this and they get what they deserve for being either greedy or foolish.  People like this suck and they do screw up our hobby on some level. But I would guess not OUR level.

Amen!

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's a tracing. Some 10 year old placed transparent, or some type of wax paper on the cover and traced on it. I did it too when I was a child, however I never thought that the damaged byproduct of my tracing might be worth $750 or more, especially on bargain box quality trash!

It's worthless, except as a reading copy or bird cage liner.

6 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

That is an "I hope some sucker believes that this a rare error when in reality some kid did a tracing of Iron Fist and left an indent in the cover" auction.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

That is an "I hope some sucker believes that this a rare error when in reality some kid did a tracing of Iron Fist and left an indent in the cover" auction.

No different than the 100 or so Stan Lee forgeries TONFULLE-84 has sold on ebay over the past months. This traced on garbage is just one more spurious nugget of excrement out of his bargain box manure inventory, just one more try in his succession of efforts to defraud on an interstate (Federal) level. #NotSoSmart

(tsk)

Edited by James J Johnson

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Also, I offered him a buck and a quarter for it, with a friendly explanation that indents from kid tracings do not equate to rare error variants.  With free shipping, he'll be in the red if he accepts.  Let's see what the response is...:popcorn:

What he's fishing for is:

candy.gif

12 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Also, I offered him a buck and a quarter for it, with a friendly explanation that indents from kid tracings do not equate to rare error variants.  With free shipping, he'll be in the red if he accepts.  Let's see what the response is...:popcorn:

Ironically, a seller as cavalier as TONFULLE-84 assumes his buyers are marks. They never consider that one or more of their buyers may be law enforcement and they may already be under investigation. Stupid is as stupid does. 

source.gif

T-84: "How can you tell for sure? The out line sketch is perfectly flawless. And you can only see it clearly when the book is tilted, and there is no ink lines in it. IDK I may be wrong and need to adjust the price but it just seems unusually different."  (counter offer of $475)

Me:  How can I tell?  I've been collecting for 28 years.  Plenty of non-color breaking flaws are only visible when a book is held to light at a certain angle.  I pity anyone who pays you over $2 for this bargain box junk.  (counter offer declined)

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

T-84: "How can you tell for sure? The out line sketch is perfectly flawless. And you can only see it clearly when the book is tilted, and there is no ink lines in it. IDK I may be wrong and need to adjust the price but it just seems unusually different."  (counter offer of $475)

Me:  How can I tell?  I've been collecting for 28 years.  Plenty of non-color breaking flaws are only visible when a book is held to light at a certain angle.  I pity anyone who pays you over $2 for this bargain box junk.  (counter offer declined)

Of course there aren't ink lines. Why would there be? It's traced over.  :screwy: 

It's actually kind of sad to see someone so down on his luck that they have to resort to writing Stan Lee's name on comics to pass off as genuine, and try to foist this embossed nonsense as something of value, instead of being the worthless garbage that it is, to make ends meet. There's only one end that will eventually meet. The end of his butt and a 6 foot metal shelf with a mattress on it stuffed with cardboard. (shrug)

Edited by James J Johnson

On 2/23/2018 at 2:48 PM, James J Johnson said:

It's a tracing. Some 10 year old placed transparent, or some type of wax paper on the cover and traced on it. I did it too when I was a child, however I never thought that the damaged byproduct of my tracing might be worth $750 or more, especially on bargain box quality trash!

It's worthless, except as a reading copy or bird cage liner.

Hey...maybe a young J Scott Campbell traced that specific book to learn to draw....that’s totally believable right?  Right?