• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tonfulle-84 Stan Lee forgeries on eBay
5 5

369 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2018 at 5:06 PM, James J Johnson said:

Of course there aren't ink lines. Why would there be? It's traced over.  :screwy: 

It's actually kind of sad to see someone so down on his luck that they have to resort to writing Stan Lee's name on comics to pass off as genuine, and try to foist this embossed nonsense as something of value, instead of being the worthless garbage that it is, to make ends meet. There's only one end that will eventually meet. The end of his butt and a 6 foot metal shelf with a mattress on it stuffed with cardboard. (shrug)

I doubt it’s down on his luck.  Yeah there are those that resort to crime due to immediate poverty.  To Many more though It’s a business.  One that is easy to do.  Computer crimes, one can buy pre made software, pre made lists, etc and easily get started defrauding and stealing from people.  It’s a multi billion dollar business

Forgery and fraud is this guys job.  He probably has some other scams as well.  I would never assume he’s down on his luck.  More likely he’s hustling to try and make more and more money.  Unlike computer crimes, this has an easier entry.  Unlike drugs, far less risk.  

Hopefully he is caught.  

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, 01TheDude said:

First off-- I think what this ebay seller is doing totally sucks.

I would not take this type of bet with the noob Vietnam67 (he is trolling this thread whether he knows it or not). I have little faith in ebay stopping the activity short of a massive effort by tons of people to make it happen.

Some have mentioned getting the law involved. While I agree that this is interstate fraud and meets the threshold for some sort of prosecution-- do we really think this is something that law officials are going to champion and aggressively pursue?

Far more effective methods to disrupt this sellers activities might give a better result. If several of us were to setup some new accounts on ebay specifically to screw with this seller only-- we could grind their sales to a halt. It would take some effort but they might get the idea after a bunch of nonpaying situations pop up each week. You would probably have to coordinate that so one user took care of all sales in a given week or so--- then move to the next guy-- etc. And just keep stringing the guy along until strikes bring down the account. Others could buy ones that are super cheap but return them as item not as described claiming third party signature analysis found the item was a forgery.

That last paragraph seems like a ton of effort. I am not saying we should do that-- and I would not be interested in participating either. But the effort needed by the board or by the law officials is the problem here-- seems like only a handful of people are that interested in causing problems for the seller.

My advice-- move on and forget this dude. Throw his name up on the known bad seller websites and other comic communities. But let it go after that. Some people will keep buying this and they get what they deserve for being either greedy or foolish.  People like this suck and they do screw up our hobby on some level. But I would guess not OUR level.

Dude, You wish I was a Noob, But since your onto something, Your exactly right! If Johnson had any sense, He could stop the clown his self, but thanks for educating him Dude! So I'll help ya out Johnson, Which I shouldn't, but here's all you have to do! Make up a bunch of fake accounts on ebay, different user id's of course! Then go watch his auctions go off. Make sure your the high bidder, Win the auction, and just keep messaging the guy telling him your gonna pay for the comic in a few days. He will then have to go in an open up a case for non payment, which takes another 4 days to process. If he cancels on you, just leave him negative feedback on each comic you won. Then when he blocks you from bidding, Use your other account to do the same and keep repeating the process. This will hurt him more then you would ever imagine. Because he's not getting paid! And to clear things up, I'm not a bad guy, I just voiced my opinion on a certain area, where it rubbed people the wrong way. I just don't like to get involved into other people's business when I'm not being harmed or threatened in any way. So there you are Johnson! Now you can go stop your boy! Good Luck!

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, James J Johnson said:

Of course there aren't ink lines. Why would there be? It's traced over.  :screwy: 

It's actually kind of sad to see someone so down on his luck that they have to resort to writing Stan Lee's name on comics to pass off as genuine, and try to foist this embossed nonsense as something of value, instead of being the worthless garbage that it is, to make ends meet. There's only one end that will eventually meet. The end of his butt and a 6 foot metal shelf with a mattress on it stuffed with cardboard. (shrug)

Johnson, Read my paragraph, I wrote, I just told you how to beat your boy! And by the way, You can buy me a beer if you make it to Pa!

2 hours ago, Vietnam67 said:

Johnson, Read my paragraph, I wrote, I just told you how to beat your boy! And by the way, You can buy me a beer if you make it to Pa!

Dude, You wish I was a Noob, But since your onto something, Your exactly right! If Johnson had any sense, He could stop the clown his self, but thanks for educating him Dude! So I'll help ya out Johnson, Which I shouldn't, but here's all you have to do! Make up a bunch of fake accounts on ebay, different user id's of course! Then go watch his auctions go off. Make sure your the high bidder, Win the auction, and just keep messaging the guy telling him your gonna pay for the comic in a few days. He will then have to go in an open up a case for non payment, which takes another 4 days to process. If he cancels on you, just leave him negative feedback on each comic you won. Then when he blocks you from bidding, Use your other account to do the same and keep repeating the process. This will hurt him more then you would ever imagine. Because he's not getting paid! And to clear things up, I'm not a bad guy, I just voiced my opinion on a certain area, where it rubbed people the wrong way. I just don't like to get involved into other people's business when I'm not being harmed or threatened in any way. So there you are Johnson! Now you can go stop your boy! Good Luck!

"Beat my boy"? 9_9

Thank you, but I've already got it covered. Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly. :whistle:

I don't have to stop anyone. That's not my place. Especially not my place to break rules to do so. There's plenty of whistles, you blow a few, and see who's listening. Whether you blew the right ones determines which cookies crumble, or don't.

So you're a VietNam Veteran? Curiosity finally got the best of me, I had to ask.

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

So you're a VietNam Veteran? Curiosity finally got the best of me, I had to ask.

No, My father was, He was wounded in action at Khe Sanh. He was in the 26th Marine division. Thanks for asking, I do apologize for getting on your case! I hope everything works out for you. I'll just say this, Do what you feel has to be done! 

11 hours ago, Vietnam67 said:
On 2/22/2018 at 7:47 PM, 01TheDude said:

First off-- I think what this ebay seller is doing totally sucks.

I would not take this type of bet with the noob Vietnam67 (he is trolling this thread whether he knows it or not). I have little faith in ebay stopping the activity short of a massive effort by tons of people to make it happen.

Some have mentioned getting the law involved. While I agree that this is interstate fraud and meets the threshold for some sort of prosecution-- do we really think this is something that law officials are going to champion and aggressively pursue?

Far more effective methods to disrupt this sellers activities might give a better result. If several of us were to setup some new accounts on ebay specifically to screw with this seller only-- we could grind their sales to a halt. It would take some effort but they might get the idea after a bunch of nonpaying situations pop up each week. You would probably have to coordinate that so one user took care of all sales in a given week or so--- then move to the next guy-- etc. And just keep stringing the guy along until strikes bring down the account. Others could buy ones that are super cheap but return them as item not as described claiming third party signature analysis found the item was a forgery.

That last paragraph seems like a ton of effort. I am not saying we should do that-- and I would not be interested in participating either. But the effort needed by the board or by the law officials is the problem here-- seems like only a handful of people are that interested in causing problems for the seller.

My advice-- move on and forget this dude. Throw his name up on the known bad seller websites and other comic communities. But let it go after that. Some people will keep buying this and they get what they deserve for being either greedy or foolish.  People like this suck and they do screw up our hobby on some level. But I would guess not OUR level.

75 posts here makes you a NOOB-- period-- end of story. Don't give a #%&$* if you are god's gift to posting on some other board. You have next to zero history on this board and that makes you a noob.

You also appear to have trouble READING a post as you RESTATED almost exactly what I did in terms of HOW to thwart a seller. This is not new information or some secret only you know. We all know how it can be done. Most of us choose to just ignore this and if you keep up your antics here, most will choose to stop replying/ignore you going forward.

You see-- this is a community of people who enjoy the hobby and interacting with others who enjoy the hobby. They don't need you telling them how to enjoy the hobby and you act like a know it all without any pedigree to back it up-- at least not on these boards. But hey-- become a social pariah here if that is your goal.

Respond all you want to this post-- I am done with this discussion personally. I do not have the time to go back and forth with you and I did not write what I did to solicit any type of response from you for that matter. I simply weighed in on this ridiculous thread to try to get all the people who think we should hunt down some clown on ebay who is doing this -- because it is very much a waste of time and most people in law enforcement would probably see it that way as well. Regardless-- some people want to keep harping on this like it is some huge problem. To me-- it is not. It is merely a bump on the road that is ebay. A pothole perhaps. I choose to drive around it and move along.

Edited by 01TheDude

3 hours ago, Vietnam67 said:

No, My father was, He was wounded in action at Khe Sanh. He was in the 26th Marine division. Thanks for asking, I do apologize for getting on your case! I hope everything works out for you. I'll just say this, Do what you feel has to be done! 

And there's really nothing to work out for me or not work out where Tonfulle-84's forgeries are concerned. I saw something, I said something. To fellow hobbyists and others. A heads up. Not nearly as heroic as your dad's endeavor, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't say something, same as it wouldn't have been your dad if he didn't risk life and limb in service to something bigger than himself. Your dad is a hero, and God bless you both.

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And there's really nothing to work out for me or not work out where Tonfulle-84's forgeries are concerned. I saw something, I said something. To fellow hobbyists and others. A heads up.

What boggles my mind is looking at dude's feedback - eBay users with three and four figures worth of positive feedback are buying this garbage.  You'd think experienced buyers would have more sense.

11 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

What boggles my mind is looking at dude's feedback - eBay users with three and four figures worth of positive feedback are buying this garbage.  You'd think experienced buyers would have more sense.

The latest asking price for an autograph from a scheduled private signing is $175. The last reported price at shows that I saw was in the $100 range. So $25 is a heckuva' bargain, right? Why pay retail when you can get it on ebay; cheap?  :eek:  

Also, bear in mind that some of Tonfulle-84's Lee signature buyers might not be what they appear to be. Some may be buying multiple copies for a specific purpose. This would be perfectly normal practice for an investigation agency. Buy questionable material they've been alerted to, let their resources do the forensics, check with the alleged author of the ink, and proceed accordingly when all their ducks are in a row.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The latest asking price for an autograph from a scheduled private signing is $175. The last reported price at shows that I saw was in the $100 range. So $25 is a heckuva' bargain, right? Why pay retail when you can get it on ebay; cheap?  :eek: 

Sad but true.  Not to give homeboy any more ideas in case he's listening in, but there's probably a certain percentage of eBay users who'd pay $15 for a used McDonald's bag signed "Stan Lee". 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

And there's really nothing to work out for me or not work out where Tonfulle-84's forgeries are concerned. I saw something, I said something. To fellow hobbyists and others. A heads up. Not nearly as heroic as your dad's endeavor, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't say something, same as it wouldn't have been your dad if he didn't risk life and limb in service to something bigger than himself. Your dad is a hero, and God bless you both.

Thanks Johnson, I appreciate that! I wish you the best as well.  You just may be alright to hang out with after all. And Matt your right, A  Mcdonald's sack, a rock, a piece of toilet paper, it doesn't matter, some of these guys would buy anything. 

Very SAD day

One of Tonfulle's books just got legitimacy by having PSA/DNA authenticate his obviously fake Jack Kirby signature. Albeit his Stan is getting marginally better but still fake and gets authenticated too??

Just makes you have second thoughts on what is considered the premier signature authentication service

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-Jack-Kirby-Signed-Marvel-Super-Heros-Comic-PSA-DNA-AUTHENTIC-AUTO/303107619004?hash=item46929f38bc:g:SQ4AAOSwCINcmVBg

It seemed that Tonfulle already became a skilled forgery signer.

52 minutes ago, Boomboomha! said:

Very SAD day

One of Tonfulle's books just got legitimacy by having PSA/DNA authenticate his obviously fake Jack Kirby signature. Albeit his Stan is getting marginally better but still fake and gets authenticated too??

Just makes you have second thoughts on what is considered the premier signature authentication service

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stan-Lee-Jack-Kirby-Signed-Marvel-Super-Heros-Comic-PSA-DNA-AUTHENTIC-AUTO/303107619004?hash=item46929f38bc:g:SQ4AAOSwCINcmVBg

That same copy was sold for $316 before it was confirmed as an authentic  - Tonfulle's copy

The seller is still doing since December 2017 after Stan Lee's passing. So far, he sold 55 signed copies for $6583.35. One or two books were returned then resold.  Hopefully he will be caught soon.

1 hour ago, Boomboomha! said:

Very SAD day

“The signature(s) is/are consistent considering slant, flow, pen pressure, letter size, and other characteristics that are typical of the other exemplars that we have examined in our hobby and professional career.”

So does that mean that this forgery will be included as "other exemplars" of Lee and Kirby signatures that they will use in the future to compare the next batch of forgeries to? 

Not sure where to post this so I'll dump it in here. Saw this book for sale locally in FB classifieds. Its advertised as a Stan Lee signature but it has a blue label. Upon further examination I see CGC noted a Stan Lee written in marker. Would have been a great book to be in the SS but now no one will ever know. Does the sig look legit?

Screenshot_20190402-172214_Facebook.jpg