• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2018 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
9 9

658 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Nino_013 said:

I wouldnt have had the balls to touch the Leinil sketch, but it came up all right. Ash did a good job of not 'overpowering' it. That Winter Soldier piece looks great too.

Ash has always been hesitant to work on and respectful of other artists work.  Beyond the outlying color the Lenil sketch was untouched.  The major addition was the back and I chose to do that to cover existing marks that resulted in the original sketch being graded a 9.6.  Now with additional art and color it is a 9.8.  For me it was a calculated risk.   

15 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Ash has always been hesitant to work on and respectful of other artists work.  Beyond the outlying color the Lenil sketch was untouched.  The major addition was the back and I chose to do that to cover existing marks that resulted in the original sketch being graded a 9.6.  Now with additional art and color it is a 9.8.  For me it was a calculated risk.   

A number of my covers that came back 9.6's are almost certainly due to stray marks on the back.  I too, am looking for the right artist and sketch to add to some of these.

1 minute ago, Ron C. said:

A number of my covers that came back 9.6's are almost certainly due to stray marks on the back.  I too, am looking for the right artist and sketch to add to some of these.

That is why I try to get double covers when finances allow or will try to get the same artist/related artist to cover.   With me lately its been just too damn economical to get Ash to do it and I trust him with my books.  I certainly get the argument that he is unknown and may devalue the work of a known artist but its my book and can do with it what I please.  I would argue that I have increased value to the piece.  For example I bought the Lenil Daredevil piece off the boards at a 9.6, it went through several price drops solely based upon the grade.  I paid little to add the artwork and color to the piece and now its a 9.8 and have four different PM asking if I would sell it and two with offers well over what I paid for the 9.6.......I am not selling it but it stands to reason that I was correct in my assessment.  I caught hell at ECC two years ago for letting Alex Sinclair color my Mignola Hellboy sketch......like I colored over a Picasso.  It came out beautiful but by many that was an act of sacrilege.  I get the purists and I have many pieces that will remain quite simple but some I want to enhance the way I choose......I am not flipping books......just love the hobby.  I know I am preaching to the choir with you.