• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2018 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
9 9

658 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, ivdyer said:

Here is a better scanned image.....

5BD99532-3672-498C-AF24-44A6BFBE32B5_zps

With my artistic ability, that would take me about 1000 hours, and it probably still wouldn't look as good.  Thanks for sharing that.  Jones is fun to meet, so enjoy that experience.

This sketch has been an odyssey and a testament, to a fault, of my desire for a 9.8.  The story begins with a purchase of a CGC SS 9.8 Marko Djurdjevic  large head sketch of Luke Cage,  just pencils.  I wanted to add Mike Colter.  After doing so and sending to CGC there was an accident that led to a large tape pull on the back cover.  After a massive grade drop the search began on what to do.  The answer was to add a Stuart Sayger piece to the back which was signed by Finn Jones.  The piece was graded at a 9.6.   I could not let it lie and decided to have Ash color the front/spine.  Well two years later here is the final piece.  Major Kudos to Doug Peters and crew for facilitating and all the artists involved......

74B2F2BB-DB6D-4AEE-8E90-0A8AB46891CB_zps582FF61A-B4DA-4ED4-AE4C-FFA2AAC33DAF_zps

Hey guys, first time in this part of the boards. These covers are great. I recently purchased a Star Wars cover sketch by Medina from Court and am having him submit it to cgc directly. Will it be a yellow label since he's his rep? Doesn't really matter honestly, having it cgc'd more for the case/display. Why do you guys prefer the books to just regular commisions? Just curious. I'll post pics down the road!

On 2/10/2018 at 3:47 AM, awayne83 said:

Hey guys, first time in this part of the boards. These covers are great. I recently purchased a Star Wars cover sketch by Medina from Court and am having him submit it to cgc directly. Will it be a yellow label since he's his rep? Doesn't really matter honestly, having it cgc'd more for the case/display. Why do you guys prefer the books to just regular commisions? Just curious. I'll post pics down the road!

I'm a big fan of doing the blank covers over a normal 8x11 bristol board commission. It's mostly just because I love comics. I also find it easier to rotate out my display with sketch covers than bristol board art. I feel like I have to high-end frame all those commissions and that gets way pricy quickly.

10 hours ago, Yoshi said:

I'm a big fan of doing the blank covers over a normal 8x11 bristol board commission. It's mostly just because I love comics. I also find it easier to rotate out my display with sketch covers than bristol board art. I feel like I have to high-end frame all those commissions and that gets way pricy quickly.

Just fyi, I paid for a Don Perlin Head Sketch to be on bristol board, and the facilitator told me that it could be graded :) I think the reason I chose it over a blank cover is because there were not any blank cover's of Moon Knight that I could find.... that was who my head sketch was of, Don Perlin is the creator of Moon Knight....... anyway :foryou:

Oh and it would receive a "NG" designation for a grade, but I still think that beats out a frame while cutting down costs...

On 2/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, ivdyer said:

Could not wait for a scan to post this cover. My latest Ash piece for Doug Jones.......

70C4C616-A77F-410D-ACEF-555CEEC54FA9_zps

A722BCD1-C682-4E54-AF81-D7152C87B3AF_zps

Ladies and gents he is damn good and now pursuing art as a full time career. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for this guy!

OMFG!

WOW!

I'm actually finalizing my spot for a commission as we speak, and wanted to check in to look back at some of his work. Cannot wait!

On 2/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, ivdyer said:

Two new pieces from Ash.......

This one is for a luck y board member.......

36E50D0E-FB5D-4029-94EA-7498C7DA9571_zps

Please explain to me where on earth you found such a clean Superman blank cover? I've never seen one. In fact, I'm hoping to the gods that the Action Comics 1000 is super clean.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:10 PM, brianlake7 said:

Here are a could I had done over the last year or so

Demon - John MCrea - Detective Comics Blank

Nightcrawler - Alan Davis - Secret Wars

x23 - Alan Davis - All New Wolverine

Wasp - Natali Sanders - Avengers Cover (she removied Logo)

Venom - Tyler Kirkham - Guardians of the Galaxy

Venomized X23 - Clayton Crain - Edge of Venomverse - Clayton Crain

Dark Pheonix - Mico Suayan - Avs X

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

image1.JPG

Mico_JeanGrey.jpg

Wow!!!