• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2018 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
9 9

658 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, worldsbestcomics said:

All right I am going to join Jason and return from my posting hiatus.  I missed you guys.

And what better way to return that with new Clayton Crain masterpieces?  They are all acrylic paints on blank covers.

The Walking Dead cover is me and my family :-)

20180126152759_001.jpg

20180126152759_002.jpg

20180126152759_003.jpg

20180126152759_001.jpg

20180126152759_002.jpg

20180126152759_003.jpg

This thread just got even better! I love that Ghost Rider cover!!

8 hours ago, ivdyer said:

He is the best at what he does......sometimes Neal Adams is to!  Was negotiating the last half of 2017 for this one and finally it's mine.  

FD99B46E-4A70-4DE7-B7EF-EE9EAC62B051_zps

Great piece from Neal. Congrats on the pick up. Which artist(s) are on your hit list to get a wolverine from?

1 hour ago, Nino_013 said:

Great piece from Neal. Congrats on the pick up. Which artist(s) are on your hit list to get a wolverine from?

No one in particular.   The fun is seeing the artists vision of the character.  I simply tell them the character and let them do their thing.  I have quite a few of wolverine from various artists.  All this Clayton Crain talk makes me think I would love to see his take on Wolverine.   

1 hour ago, ivdyer said:

No one in particular.   The fun is seeing the artists vision of the character.  I simply tell them the character and let them do their thing.  I have quite a few of wolverine from various artists.  All this Clayton Crain talk makes me think I would love to see his take on Wolverine.   

I reckon if you ask @worldsbestcomics nicely, hed be able to show you a couple :wink:

16 hours ago, ivdyer said:

This is one of my favorite Crains.  It is a recreation of a cover he did for a Wolverine/Punisher miniseries.  He used fluorescent paint for the cigar tip so it actually glows in the dark.

Punisher 1 sketch variant CGC 9.8W SS Crain.jpg

16 hours ago, ivdyer said:

Here is an example of his X-Force style Wolverine.  One unique take on Wolverine that Crain introduced has to do with Wolverine's claws.  Most artists draw the claws very strictly parallel to each other.  Crain thought it would be interesting to have his claws behave more like Edward Scissorhands.

X-Force 1 sketch variant CGC 9.8W SS Crain.jpg

22 minutes ago, worldsbestcomics said:

Here is an example of his X-Force style Wolverine.  One unique take on Wolverine that Crain introduced has to do with Wolverine's claws.  Most artists draw the claws very strictly parallel to each other.  Crain thought it would be interesting to have his claws behave more like Edward Scissorhands.

X-Force 1 sketch variant CGC 9.8W SS Crain.jpg

These are great.  I am familiar with his work as I have several CGC SS copies of his work on wolverine titles but meant to say his take on commission work and these that you have provided are awesome.  Thank you 

34 minutes ago, ivdyer said:

These are great.  I am familiar with his work as I have several CGC SS copies of his work on wolverine titles but meant to say his take on commission work and these that you have provided are awesome.  Thank you 

You are welcome.  Crain has also done beautiful runs on Spectacular Spider-Man and Ghost Rider and Valiant titles.  His paintings of Venom, Carnage, Deadpool and Ghost Rider are some of the very best commissions you will ever see.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:10 PM, brianlake7 said:

Here are a could I had done over the last year or so

Demon - John MCrea - Detective Comics Blank

Nightcrawler - Alan Davis - Secret Wars

x23 - Alan Davis - All New Wolverine

Wasp - Natali Sanders - Avengers Cover (she removied Logo)

Venom - Tyler Kirkham - Guardians of the Galaxy

Venomized X23 - Clayton Crain - Edge of Venomverse - Clayton Crain

Dark Pheonix - Mico Suayan - Avs X

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

image1.JPG

Mico_JeanGrey.jpg

I absolutely love the Natali Sanders and Clayton Crain covers!